Buying a house wary of seller

Posted 16th Sep
Hi all

I'm looking to put an offer for a house at the viewing I luckily bumped in to one of the neighbours who told me to be wary of the seller as she has sold multiple times in the past and wasted time by pulling out wanting more. He said to get them to agree where they can't pull out and I loose money. I believe at least two people on street have been interested in the past including the guy I was talking to but he was no longer interested and didn't want to deal with the woman due to issues.

Question is do I discuss this information with the estate agent to get their take or is that a no no. I was thinking of putting a limited time offer say a week subject to house being taken off market etc. Appreciate strategy with dealing with a tricky seller.

Thanks
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Maybe the neighbour wants to buy it with no competition? 😜
11 Comments
If you ask them a question, they can't lie.

Ask if the seller has had any sales fall through for any reason.
You can’t prevent him pulling out before they’ve signed on the dotted line unfortunately. Even if they’ve taken the house off the market it can’t stop someone else putting an offer in, or seller pulling out.

Crap system is crap.
Maybe the neighbour wants to buy it with no competition? 😜
If you do proceed it may be worth taking out no sale insurance with your solicitor if they offer it, this way you'll limit some of you losses if they do pull out.
Be wary the neighbour isn't talking balls.
My alarm would be the neighbour. Ask the estate agent about this for sure and any previous offers that were accepted and sales that fell through. They are obliged to tell you and not lie.
If the seller says they will pull out unless you pay more, just say you will only proceed if they lower it, call their bluff...
Bargainhead16/09/2019 18:50

If the seller says they will pull out unless you pay more, just say you …If the seller says they will pull out unless you pay more, just say you will only proceed if they lower it, call their bluff...

Did you read the bit that says they have already pulled out of deals before?
Jumpingphil17/09/2019 00:33

Did you read the bit that says they have already pulled out of deals …Did you read the bit that says they have already pulled out of deals before?

Yes but that just a 3rd party story no proof or facts, op asked for ideas and that’s what I would do. If it happened I would take to small claims court for loss incurred if this is a ongoing thing....
Bargainhead17/09/2019 05:18

Yes but that just a 3rd party story no proof or facts, op asked for ideas …Yes but that just a 3rd party story no proof or facts, op asked for ideas and that’s what I would do. If it happened I would take to small claims court for loss incurred if this is a ongoing thing....

You'd get nothing.

On some of the online sales sites - Rightmove, Zoopla etc you can see the listing history. Or type the full address into Google and you may well find the previous sales particulars.
Bargainhead17/09/2019 05:18

Yes but that just a 3rd party story no proof or facts, op asked for ideas …Yes but that just a 3rd party story no proof or facts, op asked for ideas and that’s what I would do. If it happened I would take to small claims court for loss incurred if this is a ongoing thing....

A small claims court wouldn't even hear your case because there is no case to answer. You can pull out whenever you want unless you have exchanged contracts. Only then is it legally binding. Unless you live in Scotland.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants