Groups

Buying a laptop...HELP please!

Looking to buy a laptop for my daughter. I don't know a lot about laptops but what I do know is this:
    Has to have a CD drive,
    Has to have a decent size screen,
    Must be no more than £300!
    Any advice appreciated

11 Comments

All laptops come with a CD/DVD Drive. Only smaller NETBOOKS dont have a CD/DVD drive built in.

What do you call a decent size screen. The "normal" size for a laptop is 15.6. There are some smaller (13" etc), and bigger (17" etc) but 15.6 is the norm for most laptops

£300 wil get you only the most basic laptop. If all you want to do is email, internet etc then almost any laptop will do.

Keep looking on HotUKDeals, or go to your local Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys and see what deals they have. Most of the large supermarkets have regular laptop deals.

Original Poster

it247.com/pro…tml
    Andywedge posted this...what do you think?

This from BestBuy is £299, but it has a very slow single core CPU so I would not recommend it, but it is under £300

bestbuy.co.uk/pro…spx

This is only £29 extra, but comes with a better CPU, more memory and a bigger hard disk.

If you can stretch to £329 I think it is a decent laptop for the money

bestbuy.co.uk/pro…spx

Id have a look at the Compaq model below at Comet, £299 but there is a 5% off code on here + quidco taking it down to less than £280

comet.co.uk/p/L…381

Original Poster

scabbers

http://www.it247.com/product/1/XXLSUO73/NTDXDUK-Lenovo-G550-2958-P-T4500-2-3-GHz-15-6-TFT.htmlAndywedge posted this...what do you think?

And using the 2.5% voucher on here the price is £292.00 delivered.

guilbert53

All laptops come with a CD/DVD Drive. Only smaller NETBOOKS dont have a … All laptops come with a CD/DVD Drive. Only smaller NETBOOKS dont have a CD/DVD drive built in.What do you call a decent size screen. The "normal" size for a laptop is 15.6. There are some smaller (13" etc), and bigger (17" etc) but 15.6 is the norm for most laptops£300 wil get you only the most basic laptop. If all you want to do is email, internet etc then almost any laptop will do.Keep looking on HotUKDeals, or go to your local Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys and see what deals they have. Most of the large supermarkets have regular laptop deals.

Slimline laptops dont ie. air or air ripoffs.

scabbers

And using the 2.5% voucher on here the price is £292.00 delivered.

Good value for money. IBM is a decent make aswell 10x better then eMachines.

Original Poster

Thanks

Ruscoe21

Good value for money. IBM is a decent make aswell 10x better then … Good value for money. IBM is a decent make aswell 10x better then eMachines.

Lenovo is NOT IBM
    IBM sold their PC division to them in 2005 - But that doesn't make them IBM. (Even If IBM have shares in Lenovo still)
    But yeah the Lenovo build quality is very good.

That Lenovo is brilliant for £292!

trudiandsteve

That Lenovo is brilliant for £292!

My favorite album of all time !
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      3. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44
      4. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578

See more discussions