Expired

Buying a new phone off ebay - Warranty question?

Found 1st Aug 2013
Hi -

Been looking at loads of various options and narrowed it down to buying a new iphone 5 handset and keep my current sim only deal as im happy paying just £10 a month.

The iphone 5 for sale with apple direct is around £529 - on ebay people seem to be selling their "new/unused" upgrades and some have gone for £380.

If i bought somebodys new/unused upgrade - would i be able to register the phone as mine if it has not been taken out of the box?? - and would i qualify for the full amount of warranty with apple??
Community Updates
AskiPhonePhones
14 Comments
And sit tight waiting for it to be reported stolen. There is not a chance in hell I'd consider buying a handset off there.

Is that what happens??.... And what if they do report it stolen - can you not take evidence of the sale through ebay to the apple?

Derby_Lad

And sit tight waiting for it to be reported stolen. There is not a chance … And sit tight waiting for it to be reported stolen. There is not a chance in hell I'd consider buying a handset off there.

have to agree id avoid ebay for the phone too
You'd have no problem with the warranty, Apple don't usually ask for proof of purchase etc.. They're very good, Think warranty starts from purchase/delivery of iphone as opposed to when switched on and activated.

If thats the case - then why is it not better to buy someone else's upgrade on ebay for 380 as apposed to paying £530 direct from apple?

shauneco

You'd have no problem with the warranty, Apple don't usually ask for … You'd have no problem with the warranty, Apple don't usually ask for proof of purchase etc.. They're very good, Think warranty starts from purchase/delivery of iphone as opposed to when switched on and activated.

I would never buy a phone from ebay, but I do sell a few on there, people do scam with insurance but if you were to use a credit card to fund it there is no worry, because they would charge back paypal and you will end up with the phone and the money.
Ifs it's on a contract and they stop paying , or report it lost to claim on insurance , phone will be shut down
Avoid
Try looking in Ask.
Ok guys thanks for the advice.

Besides the extortionate price at Apple of £530 are there better alternative options to get the handset??
My phone has just packed in and needs replacing - its out of contract but im on Sim only tariff so not eligable for a new handset.
nick1981

Is that what happens??.... And what if they do report it stolen - can you … Is that what happens??.... And what if they do report it stolen - can you not take evidence of the sale through ebay to the apple?

If it was stolen then sadly you'd be handling stolen goods and would have no right to ownership, regardless.

Another common thing is people take out contracts and don't pay them and eventually the mobiles can be blocked etc.. although not 100% on this as some sources suggest that they don't, Or they claim it's lost/stolen and claim on insurance etc..

What they should do with certain items is have a database where you can do a transfer of ownership of certain devices, Especially with mobiles.

Personally I've not been a victim of the scams on ebay and have bought many mobiles but clearly it's a risky problem for some.
nick1981

Ok guys thanks for the advice.Besides the extortionate price at Apple of … Ok guys thanks for the advice.Besides the extortionate price at Apple of £530 are there better alternative options to get the handset??My phone has just packed in and needs replacing - its out of contract but im on Sim only tariff so not eligable for a new handset.

You could use a local ebay sale , go round pick it up , gauge the type of people your dealing with
Maybe he'll show you a receipt for where it was bought from
If it goes wrong at least you know where they live !
I wouldn't worry with regards to buying an iphone on ebay, Providing it's got warranty Apple will exchange virtually no questions asked, I've known people buy blocked iphones and get them replaced. You just have to have it develop a random fault i,e shuts down, crashes randomly etc..

It wouldn't be handling stolen goods as at the time he paid a market rate in good faith with the honest belief it wasn't stolen.

If it was then subject of the scam and he tried to sell it. Then he would be guilty of an offence. He'd also be out of pocket as the phone belongs to the insurance company as of the moment they pay out.
Hi,

If you buy a phone on eBay ensure you're buying it from someone with 98%+ feedback (I'd go for 99%). Always check their feedback and the value of the items they've sold. Personally if I was buying a phone, I would only buy it from someone with at least 50+ sales/feedback. There's every chance that, that person is genuine. however I would always proceed with caution. I've sold loads of phones on eBay and I wouldn't scam someone out of their hard earned cash especially when it could happen to me. But not everyone is the same! Also using eBay local/Gumtree etc. there's every chance that person could still scam you/make dodgy insurance claims.

Also if the phone was reported stolen by the seller and their insurance is with the same network they bought the phone from, it's very difficult to make a successful insurance claim. This is because the network will always check the person sim card had been used in the phone and if the phone is sealed then that's not likely to happen. by the time they'd make the claim etc. you would have used your sim in the phone which means the network could still bar the phone but the persons insurance claim wouldn't be successful. this would be different if their insurance was with a third party (ie. the bank/protect my bubble etc).

be careful though!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants