Buying a Nexus 7 2012 in 2016?

6 replies
Found 8th Sep 2016
I am currently looking to buy a cheap android tablet and I was considering buying a Nexus 7 2012 from the amazon warehouse for around £55. I'll only be using it for general browsing, YouTube, Twitch, Kodi I won't be gaming on it. I've read that it is quite slow but with ParrotMod installed it can be usable. I don't mind having to root or install ROMS as I enjoy that sort of stuff. I was just wondering if any of yous have experience with the Nexus 7 2012 and if £55 is a good price for it?

Edit : I also saw this on amazon (2013 Nexus 7 for only £65 with a 12 Month Warranty) amazon.co.uk/gp/…5ZA

Don't know about buying from a 3rd party seller though it seems cheap for a 2013 Nexus 7?

6 Comments

Your better with a 2nd or refurbed hudl2. I had a nexus 7 2012 and it really shows its age.

I am still using mine (32GB model with 3G) and actually prefer it to my cumbersome Dell Venue Pro 11 with its Windows 10.

I run CyanogenMod (Kit Kat) on mine because Lollipop ran like an old dog on it. There is nothing wrong with the Nexus 2012, it still works great for web/email/video etc, but I would seriously question spending money on something that old. The longevity of a battery that old is going to be questionable. Saying that, mine still lasts me through the day with a moderate amount of screen on time, provided I don't play any videos.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 9th Sep 2016

2012 version is riddled with problems. Within a few weeks it'll go wrong, that's a guarantee. As above, I would recommend a Hudl 2. You can pick them up around £65-£75 on ebay.

Original Poster

anthony212

2012 version is riddled with problems. Within a few weeks it'll go wrong, … 2012 version is riddled with problems. Within a few weeks it'll go wrong, that's a guarantee. As above, I would recommend a Hudl 2. You can pick them up around £65-£75 on ebay.

Ok I was planning on rooting it and putting ParrotMod on it to make it faster but I suppose I can just keep an eye out for a Hudl 2 or a 2013 Nexus 7. Thanks for the help.

I'm still using 2012 model with cyanogenMod on it. Works like charm. Slow and laggy on stock rom maybe but rooted and tuned it's decent.

2013 is the way to go, if only for the 2gb of memory.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition46378
    2. Win free gin for a year88
    3. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…44
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414

See more discussions