Buying a phone. How do I know if its a trusted seller/real phone?

Found 11th Jul
So I'm trying to buy the husband a Samsung Galaxy 8 but I've always got phones on contract in the past.

We are buying it outright this time as hes on sim only but how do I know if I'm buying the "real deal" phone and not a fake or from an untrusted seller.

They are selling on Ebay from £365 and Amazon from £418 but at Carphone warehouse they are £489. Is there anyway to tell if the cheaper ones are real?

Thanks x
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Buy from Amazon or CPW.
Don't buy from eBay private sellers - too many scams and you're not covered after 6 months. Go for business sellers if you must buy from there.

On Amazon, go for FBA or sold by Amazon as it's then Amazon Customer Service who you deal with - much better.

CPW are fine too, but no reason to choose them over Amazon if Amazon is cheaper/same price. I'm also looking for an S8, waiting for Prime Day on the 16th though.
jamie0156 h, 14 m ago

Don't buy from eBay private sellers - too many scams and you're not …Don't buy from eBay private sellers - too many scams and you're not covered after 6 months. Go for business sellers if you must buy from there.On Amazon, go for FBA or sold by Amazon as it's then Amazon Customer Service who you deal with - much better.CPW are fine too, but no reason to choose them over Amazon if Amazon is cheaper/same price. I'm also looking for an S8, waiting for Prime Day on the 16th though.

Agree with the above advice. Avoid eBay/CEX etc as there is a common scam where someone sells a phone then claims it as lost from their insurer and the phone is then blocked rendering it useless to you. They normally wait a few months so any hope of making a claim through PayPal or the store has passed/is extremely difficult.
jamie01511 h, 13 m ago

Don't buy from eBay private sellers - too many scams and you're not …Don't buy from eBay private sellers - too many scams and you're not covered after 6 months. Go for business sellers if you must buy from there.On Amazon, go for FBA or sold by Amazon as it's then Amazon Customer Service who you deal with - much better.CPW are fine too, but no reason to choose them over Amazon if Amazon is cheaper/same price. I'm also looking for an S8, waiting for Prime Day on the 16th though.

Thanks. Just looked on Amazon and its currently £422. Do you think its going to go any cheaper on Prime day
dltaeg8 h, 11 m ago

Thanks. Just looked on Amazon and its currently £422. Do you think its …Thanks. Just looked on Amazon and its currently £422. Do you think its going to go any cheaper on Prime day

Not everything gets discounted on prime day, it tends to be a select bunch of offers.
cmdr_elito2 m ago

Not everything gets discounted on prime day, it tends to be a select bunch …Not everything gets discounted on prime day, it tends to be a select bunch of offers.

Yes it does, that is true. However, with the Note 9's release in under 2 months time, they will be looking to clear the amount of stock for the S8.
jamie01540 m ago

Yes it does, that is true. However, with the Note 9's release in under 2 …Yes it does, that is true. However, with the Note 9's release in under 2 months time, they will be looking to clear the amount of stock for the S8.

Perhaps but if there were deals you should perhaps consider the S9.
cmdr_elito25 m ago

Perhaps but if there were deals you should perhaps consider the S9.

True, worth buying the latest phone if you are willing to spend that much for the software updates.
jamie0151 m ago

True, worth buying the latest phone if you are willing to spend that much …True, worth buying the latest phone if you are willing to spend that much for the software updates.

I’d expect there is some difference in the hardware too. It’ll make it last a few more years.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants