Groups

buying a projector....on a small budget... any tips?

Thinking of buying myself a projector, just for watching the odd movie or whatever. need one for as cheap as possible, just needs to look good on my wall when playing dvdrips or the occasional m-HD file.
    Would really appreciate any help!
    Having a look around on the bay but swamped by all the choices!

13 Comments

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Buy one with a long life lamp

what's considered long? anything above 1000 hours?
    How bright does it need to be? whats the kind of stuff I need to look at to determine what would make it good for its purpose?

Start by asking the same question on avforums.com in their projector section (or search for similar) Lots of helpful people on there

Banned

The low end Optoma projectors are decent for the price of around £400 to £500.

Original Poster

wow thats a lot..... I was really hoping to get some entry level thing for 100 odd, max 200....
    Don't care if its second hand or old, as long as it looks good!

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

something like this would be just … something like this would be just finehttp://www.projectorsite.co.uk/index.php?p=product&id=31&parent=9

wow that looks good!!!
    Will keep shopping around though coz I'd really like something more towards £100..... don't mind if its 2nd hand or old tech as long as it looks good!
    Tbh I'm not sure how much I'd use it or how often so looking to buy something cheap first just to experiment etc, if that makes sense?
    Edited by: "czar.nik" 27th Jan 2011

Original Poster

cdm22

Start by asking the same question on avforums.com in their projector … Start by asking the same question on avforums.com in their projector section (or search for similar) Lots of helpful people on there

cdm22

Seriously, try avforums! Secondhand section here: … Seriously, try avforums! Secondhand section here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-projector-classified-adverts/info on projectors here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/projectors/

Sorry my bad!! didn't mean to make it look like I disregarded your comments..... they were actually v v v helpful and I posted on AVF as you suggested.
    Just about to have a look at the classifieds too.
    Thanks for all your help, much appreciated!!!

Original Poster

I was wondering more what kind of values I should be paying special attention to? e.g. ANSI, aspect ratio... that kinda stuff.
    I want to use it mainly for movies but maybe the occasional PS3 gaming session.

Also I've been looking at a few ebay auctions and was hoping for some input.....
    Item no:

Thanks so much!

you could try some of these sites, they seem to have some decent ish projectors at around the money your looking to spend
    Linky

Original Poster

scottydont

you could try some of these sites, they seem to have some decent ish … you could try some of these sites, they seem to have some decent ish projectors at around the money your looking to spend Linky

thanks for that.

v tempting but some of the sites look a little less than reputable lol

better than a decent TV if you pay for a decent one. I have optoma HD20, great picture plus u can choose the screen size. 120" makes you feel like your at the movies. That said one for £100 wont be great but be fun with the kids or something. think about where your going to put it, distances from the screen. what you will use as a screen and for sound. if ur in a light room you need high lumens 2000+, if your in a cellar or somewhere really dark you need 1500 - 2000. make sure it is 16:9 native too.

Original Poster

NBEB

better than a decent TV if you pay for a decent one. I have optoma HD20, … better than a decent TV if you pay for a decent one. I have optoma HD20, great picture plus u can choose the screen size. 120" makes you feel like your at the movies. That said one for £100 wont be great but be fun with the kids or something. think about where your going to put it, distances from the screen. what you will use as a screen and for sound. if ur in a light room you need high lumens 2000+, if your in a cellar or somewhere really dark you need 1500 - 2000. make sure it is 16:9 native too.

thanks for that, all useful stuff.
    Not looking for an optoma hd20 yet though I've seen many people say how good they are!!
    I'd love to get a HD65 if i could afford it.....!

Original Poster

decided to just splurge and get a hd65.... ebay for 275. that a good choice?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710954
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would917
      3. What would be HELL to you?2944
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7171351

See more discussions