Groups

Buying a puppy!

I am going to get a dog probably a golden retreiver ,so off to the net I go onto the kennel club site and I found a breeder near me who has pups ready in December ,I had no idea of the price but when they said £750 I was a bit taken aback so is this how much these dogs are or are they just cashing in for Xmas?

26 Comments

gosh thats a lot of money - an awful lot.................................sorry I cant help as my dog is a scruff got from the Rescue centre!

Seems a lot, but these are KC registered breeders, so in theory good quality pups.
    My mutts were both rescue centre dogs.

Just do a bit of research 1st mate.

Have a look through local ad's, as long as they are KC registered, you'll be fine.

Thats an awful lot of cash though for a GR ??

If it's a certified pedigree then that's about right as you could breed from a bitch and sell the puppies yourself :thumbsup: a male may be cheaper :?

I get my pets from a rescue centre as they have kittens and puppies that need a home, all you pay for is chipping and neutering ;-)

Cheapest KC registered I can see is £450 (only looked through 3 pages though)

pets4homes.co.uk/pet…EDD

yes, for a full pedigree, kc registered you will, we paid £800 for our bullmastiff with all his papers & a lifetime of advice always available from his breeder at the other end of the phone. He's worth every penny!
    [IMG]i710.photobucket.com/alb…jpg?t=1254564378[/IMG]

Usually (in my area at least) the going price for a lab/retriever is around £300-£500, but all depends on pedigree and so on.
    We bought our black lab (in avatar) 2 years ago and got a bargain at £175 because he and his brothers and sisters were "accidents" and not from a breeder, so he hasn't got papers for pedigree but he is. If you're not planning on breeding dogs or using them for stud then I don't really see the point in getting one with papers anyway to be honest, but that's just my opinion anyway. We're really happy with the choice we made, he was very easy to house train (1 week) and learnt loads of tricks we taught him and hasn't shown any signs of aggression or anything.
    All I can suggest is having a look in the local papers to see if anyone's advertising... or go to the local rehoming center or something. Puppies are great, but they also grow up really fast... ours was twice the size within 2 weeks and by around 5 months old was almost full grown and many people mistook him for a 3 year old lab, lol

Our golden retriever is 4 years old.
    Here he is:
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/chesso_photos/boris/boris19thJuly08.jpg

We got him from a farmers' wife who breeds one litter a year, proper pedigrees but 'bred for temperament' which means that they will never win Crufts, which is a big advantage as far as I am concerned ( breed standards and all that) but are lovely family pets. He cost £500. I would think that the more champions and so on in the pedigree the more the cost would rise from there. I would also think that a commercial kennels would cost more.
    Why don't you ask at your local vets to see if you have someone less commercial near-by. We found Boris by looking in the local paper. Also, isn't there a breed club you could track down on-line?

edit: You all type fast, there weren't any replies when I started this!!
    Totally agree with what paddy stone says re pedigrees.

We're also thinking of getting a golden retriever, and the ones wer'e interested in are £650. Lots to do with the scoring of the parents. £750 does seem a bit steep but they might have really low hip score parents.

When I got my staffy, I wanted a pedigree where I knew who both set of parents were.

I never intended to breed/show it, but I wanted to be 100% sure I was getting the dog I wanted (too many out there with long legs, crossed with other dogs etc) & you cant tell when they are puppies all to well.

KC registered breeders were expensive, but I found somebody local who had bred 2 of his KC registered dogs who was much cheaper

Ended up with the most gorgeous dog ever (who is lying on the couch next to me snoring !!)

Surprisingly, cost goes by colour!! We have a pedigree, kennel club registered black labrador that cost £500 but he was "going cheap" because each year there are either a lot of black labs or golden ones and demand doesn't meet supply. £750 isn't a huge amount for a pedigree dog... So perhaps there's a large demand for golden retrievers this year. There are far more expensive ones out there! Our cat was £2,000 but is a special crossbreed with a leopard and it's beautiful!!!!! Hope that helps!

Not unusual for pedigrees to cost £500+ I'd really check into the known issues with pedigrees, as basically pedigrees are from a closed gene-pool due to extended inbreeding (sounds worse than it is), but this does mean that every breed has a high chance of inheriting certain genetic defects.

Unless you are planning on having a show dog, or making money through breeding, i'd really suggest going for a mongrel of known parentage. This reduces the price drastically, tends to avoid inheriting those genetic defects (cross-breeding tends to select the good genetic traits from both parents) and will save you alot on pet insurance/vet bills. Many cross-breeds look and behave the same as the pedigrees, they are genetically shared with (hence you want to know the parentage).

Please avoid using a puppy farm, where bitches are impregnated back to back to produce fast litters, this is a nasty part of the industry and a bad starting environment, tends to breed the worse temprements. Always go see the puppies with the mother if possible, see how they are being kept, even better if you can see them earlier than they are ready to be taken from the mother (6-10 weeks from birth).

I hope this helps, don't get me wrong i've had both pedigree and mongrels male and female, all have been fantastic, I'd suggest getting a bitch if you have young kids, though it doesn't matter much in the long run. It may be worth travelling a bit to get your puppy, after all they will be with you for many years, so a bit of a journey to fetch them is not out of order.

Also as above, don't discount a rescue dog, you can find some fantastic four legged friends there, most are abandoned due to cost of upkeep or lack of time to care for them, take one for a couple of weeks and see how they fit in to the family.

£750 for a pedigree pup is fairly common in my experience xx

Please get a dog from the rescue centre and give it a good life. Pedigree seem to have so many problems anyway and to pay that much money for a dog when there are homeless dogs seems awful. :? poor mutts.

We had a wonderful Golden retriever who sadly died last year aged 12. She cost us £250 but that was 13 years ago and was Kc registered etc etc. I have been looking around online & found that you can get Golden retrievers about £600 up over but I came across Golden Retrievers that were sort of ex Guide dogs, not good enough to be a guide dog but still registered etc. Cant wuite remember website but will see if I can find it again for you. Also rescue homes have a one set up just for Golden retrievers. good luck with your search. They are a gorgeous breed of dog. Our Holly was as soft as muck especially with the children. We miss her a great deal xx

just found it
    retrieverrescue.net/

why have a kc registered pup if you do not want to show them. like me i have a newfoundland she is not kc reg only because her fathers parents are from australia so because they are not kc reg in this country her father couldnt be therefore mine isnt but she has a cracking pedegree behind her with alot of champions in her blood lines we will be having a litter of pups off her next summer but the price would be £750 as the kc reg ones go for up to £1200 but in saying that they will be no better than mine only difference is they will have a kennel club number. a dog doesnt have to be kc reg to have a full pedegree.

We bought our puppy this year in March and he cost us 650.00. In my opinion worth every penny.

We have always had retrievers, and were looking to buy one before xmas last year and found all breeders unwilling to sell puppies before xmas!

Our Schnauzer pup cost £750 in March. Most probs coz he had a good bloodline of ex champion dogs, kennel club registered, all the works etc etc.

That is not unusual for a well bread dog with all the paperwork if you ask me. Yeah you can get them cheaper, yes they can still be kennel club registered, but there are a lot of breeders out there who cross breed and are only after the cash. Look into the dogs history, look for common defects in the breed and get it vet checked before you buy (our breeder offered to do this for us at her cost coz she was fully sure he had no probs). A good breeder will help you out with everything, a bad one will just want the cash. Avoid websites like epups if you ask me... a lot of breeders on there selling Schnauzer pups for £500 that couldnt give me a full bloodline, especially when the going rate from a good breeder is £750. Alarms bells started ringing.

Floyd:

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9876/image1ll.jpg

get a dog that doesn't have inherent health issues

do your research

some are more prone to problems than others

a healthy dog could last for 15+ years whereas a one with "issues" may peg it after just five or seven years.

[URL="http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m342/pcnutta/Picture005-3.jpg"]http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m342/pcnutta/Picture005-3.jpg[/URL]

My Bishon was £350 but first litter of a breeder so they didnt really know the prices.
    Hes 6months now and a darling. I would have paid double! he isso good and loving.

It all depends on the breed, different breeds cost different money. Usually depends on how easy the dogs are to breed and how many pups they produce on average. For instance an english bulldog costs about 2000 for a puppy, and they doesn't have to be from a champion bloodline. £750 for a retriever is VERY steep in my opinion. If you aren't going to show the dog, don't look too much into champion bloodlines, just make sure they parents don't have any long term health problems. It seems prices of dogs are getting ridiculous.

get a proper dog - border collies FTW!!!!!

the porter;6468951

thanks guys for all your help, i looked at the kc site because of the … thanks guys for all your help, i looked at the kc site because of the lack of retrievers for sale in the north west, im not after breeding or anything like that its just a family pet we are after and its my daughter who wants a retriever if thats the going price then fair enough just seams steep ,i had a figure of £500 in my head ,will they barter or do they set their prices in stone rep left as much as i can

I breed pugs at the minute, take your time on picking a dog. kc site not the best, epupz better if you research the dogs and pups over time, as the breeders are all streetwise/commercial mostly. eventually you get an eye for the type of pup u want. dont get a pup without seeing both parents if you can, and check the parents temperaments in house, and how they are kept. build a relationship with a breeder you like first, and make sure they breed as pets not show. Check if you have kids that the breeder has the parents around kids so you know the dogs lineage and personality can cope with this. its true you may get a cheaper kc pup from someone who has accidentally had a litter, but neither they or u really understand the line or the future problems, so less guarantee of good pup.

Remember they are there to sell not baby sit you, so go armed with ur information first and what to look for in lineage faults. never pay more than deposit or without a pre release vet check. go to your local vet and ask for advice on what to look for in pup. its best to have insurance and for insurance its best to have kc registered pups.

I pay top dollar for my dogs, as it does mean longer life, and better pups. over the years we have had various dogs and breeds. thats just my experience. anything else is false economy. usually males are better for pets than girls unless you want to breed as they are cheaper, and do not have the problem of regular seasons unless later on you want to have them neutered, roughly 18mths ish, which is the best option for non breeding pets.

hope you have good luck, any questions do pm me.

I don't think cost correlates directly with 'quality' - a good show dog can command high prices despite being a ticking timebomb in terms of genetic defects. We had a red fox lab (ex-stud, his pups were extremely expensive) who was rare and almost flawless against the breed standard but as he'd been bred for show he suffered almost every genetic defect going for his breed before dying relatively young.

We have a spaniel who is KC registered and has a full pedigree but he's a working strain and as such was cheaper than showdog equivalents. He was bred for his health and fitness with the breeders trying to ensure as much genetic diversity as possible as well as choosing field champions. While he'd never be good in the show ring he's now in his senior years and has none of the genetic defects associated with spaniels.

John

Johnmcl7;6473263

I don't think cost correlates directly with 'quality' - a good show dog … I don't think cost correlates directly with 'quality' - a good show dog can command high prices despite being a ticking timebomb in terms of genetic defects. We had a red fox lab (ex-stud, his pups were extremely expensive) who was rare and almost flawless against the breed standard but as he'd been bred for show he suffered almost every genetic defect going for his breed before dying relatively young.We have a spaniel who is KC registered and has a full pedigree but he's a working strain and as such was cheaper than showdog equivalents. He was bred for his health and fitness with the breeders trying to ensure as much genetic diversity as possible as well as choosing field champions. While he'd never be good in the show ring he's now in his senior years and has none of the genetic defects associated with spaniels.John

an ex breeding dog will always be a lot cheaper, and rightly so. cost applies whether its show or pet reared imho, like everything the more you can afford prob the less problems, but like people nothing can be guaranteed.. there will always be breeds that are bred that have health problems at the minute, in order to be kc reg.
    i breed for pets and for breeders and the pups are mid range price but i am not in it for profit but for the joy of having pets at no additional cost to me, as am more interested in building a quality line that i am proud of rather than profit or kudos in the ring.
    the price is a reflection of the vets costs in continuous care of pets and ongoing health of parents to ensure quality, certainly in my case. a lot of breeders dont take this care. possibly the majority. the cheaper the pet the more likely this is to happen realistically.
    i agree with your genetic point as thats what i follow, in breeding is cruel. it is possible to cover both in some breeds but not all. thats why i chose the breeds that arent being bred to be ill or suffer. in reality the breeders cannot be blamed if going to breed standards its the kennel clubs responsibility. we try our best to work with it.
    i would prefer to pay more at the start as i have found it means less vet fees in the end, thats just my experience over the years. given that its about 18mths before a lot of pups display problems as they mature from then, its a bit late to find a problem and be broken hearted. its equally important to be educated in how to look after the breed you like, as each has individual needs and a lifestyle that matches all concerned to have a happy life together. i have refused to sell pups to some owners because of this. i wish there were more breeders behaving like so.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767404
      2. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1010
      3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)63484
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7211361

See more discussions