buying a second hand vw golf 2002 1.4s 51k service cambelt question

Found 24th Jun 2011
hi people looking at get a vw golf mk4 2002 with 51k i though cambelt was 10yrs or 60-80k im told 4years or 60k which ever 1st? the problem is it means it should of been done at least once but no thing saying it as or not?
the question is i get 30day warrenty with it but would that cover for that?
and how much should i be looking to pay on a cambelt if i had one fitted?
please give me your advice
thanks

14 Comments

i would say 60k is the guideline

but my skodas on 100k at the moment with no service history i cant say much but i've done a fair bit from when i bought it at 70k!
I had it checked, but they said it would be about £150 . .
Edited by: "Boom123" 24th Jun 2011

Original Poster

th

Boom123

i would say 60kbut my skodas on 100k with no service history when i … i would say 60kbut my skodas on 100k with no service history when i bought it at 70k.. I had it checked, but they said it would be about £150

thats not bad but i go to coast a fair bit =200mile round trip i like peace of mind but dont want it to cost the earth to do, just after paying out for it

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

If there is no service history to say its been done done, allow for the … If there is no service history to say its been done done, allow for the cost of doing it in the price

there 3 stamps but no idea if in one of them its been done? we already agreed price and now waiting for pick up but again though it be 60k or 10yrs etc

Original Poster

been quoted £225 for the cambelt change and waterpump etc fitted is that a fair price?

I have just bought a Citroen C3 which is on 86k miles and no cambelt. Car is an 54 plate too. So called garage today to get a quote on Cam belt and for the whole kit i was quoted £225. So it seems the going rate then.
Wish I knew about the cambelt before I paid, typical female doesn't think of these things though.

Original Poster

beth3735

I have just bought a Citroen C3 which is on 86k miles and no cambelt. Car … I have just bought a Citroen C3 which is on 86k miles and no cambelt. Car is an 54 plate too. So called garage today to get a quote on Cam belt and for the whole kit i was quoted £225. So it seems the going rate then.Wish I knew about the cambelt before I paid, typical female doesn't think of these things though.

true this is my girlfriends car she wanted it but again though with vw the cambelt was 10yrs etc not only 4yrs

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Like i said, If no proof i'd allow for it in the cost, should of asked … Like i said, If no proof i'd allow for it in the cost, should of asked this question before agreeing a price

true but ive put deposit on it, and looked into it but didnt think about this on the day

sme24185

true this is my girlfriends car she wanted it but again though with vw … true this is my girlfriends car she wanted it but again though with vw the cambelt was 10yrs etc not only 4yrs

When I google about the Citroen I get all sorts of answers to when it should be done, Some say 75K miles, 100K, or even 150K. Not sure on how many years. Will get the log book out I think and see when it says.
If you just go on mileage then you are fine for a little while longer. Im no good at advice on cars lol Just wanted to say the £225 was the same quote I got today too

Original Poster

same here i get different miles but when ive paid out on the car didnt expect this just after

I would never risk the cambelt on a car - running the risk of having to replace the engine is just not worth the £225 that seems to be the going rate here.

Get it done so you know where you stand - remember the rubber will deteriorate over time

Original Poster

bassman_uk

I would never risk the cambelt on a car - running the risk of having to … I would never risk the cambelt on a car - running the risk of having to replace the engine is just not worth the £225 that seems to be the going rate here.Get it done so you know where you stand - remember the rubber will deteriorate over time

very true i never risk it but its the money, spent up on that now got to get some more to fund for that

sme24185

very true i never risk it but its the money, spent up on that now got to … very true i never risk it but its the money, spent up on that now got to get some more to fund for that

I'd make it your first job when you can afford it then tbh

Original Poster

i no ill book it in

Original Poster

sme24185

i no ill book it in

but for a mid range car i would call the golf i think 4yrs or 60k is abit crap cause they aint cheap cars to start with
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants