Buying A Sky+ Box (Not From Sky)

Found 10th May 2010
I've just signed up for Sky+ HD in our living room and just a standard sky box (multiroom) for my bedroom, was going to get a sky+ box in the bedroom but they wanted £199 for it.

I was just wondering, if I was to buy a Sky+ box from elsewhere, either here or ebay, would it just be a case of taking the standard Sky box out, plugging in the Sky+ box and then it'd work straight away?

Thanks in advance guys

1. Misc
  2. Sky
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Sky
19 Comments

Yes
It will work as you will have a viewing card with your standard box which you can transfer to the + box

geegee-pinata;8572554

Yes It will work as you will have a viewing card with your standard … Yes It will work as you will have a viewing card with your standard box which you can transfer to the + box

The viewing card will need to be paired to the new sky + box and as your basic box only has 1 cable feed and sky plus box needs 2 cables to run the sky +. You will have to run another cable from the LNB on the sat dish which will be a quad LNB if you already have sky hd. HOpe this helps.

Original Poster

geegee-pinata;8572554

Yes It will work as you will have a viewing card with your standard … Yes It will work as you will have a viewing card with your standard box which you can transfer to the + box

tara1082;8572581

The viewing card will work but as your basic box only has 1 cable feed … The viewing card will work but as your basic box only has 1 cable feed and sky plus box needs 2 cables to run the sky +. You will have to run another cable from the LNB on the sat dish which will be a quad LNB if you already have sky hd. HOpe this helps.

I see, yeah that does help.

You reckon if I asked the engineer nicely enough he'd run the extra cable for me or do they generally refuse to do that? :thumbsup:

tara1082;8572581

The viewing card will work but as your basic box only has 1 cable feed … The viewing card will work but as your basic box only has 1 cable feed and sky plus box needs 2 cables to run the sky +. You will have to run another cable from the LNB on the sat dish which will be a quad LNB if you already have sky hd. HOpe this helps.

oops :oops:didn't know that.

Why don't you ask your installer to install the plus box instead? or cancel multiroom and buy a magic eye instead (what i was advised by sky to do to save a tenner a month)

smasha7;8572594

I see, yeah that does help.You reckon if I asked the engineer nicely … I see, yeah that does help.You reckon if I asked the engineer nicely enough he'd run the extra cable for me or do they generally refuse to do that? :thumbsup:

Mine wouldn't but only as he was not a "sky" engineer - he was subcontracted. I asked when my mum had hers installed by proper sky engineer and he did it no probs.

I've got a spare SKY+ box incase you're interested pal :thumbsup:

smasha7;8572594

I see, yeah that does help.You reckon if I asked the engineer nicely … I see, yeah that does help.You reckon if I asked the engineer nicely enough he'd run the extra cable for me or do they generally refuse to do that? :thumbsup:

I had sky hd installed and the sky engineer put a double cable in my bedroom for £10 in his hand,but i think its whoever you get on the day. If you dont ask you dont get IMO.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

TheMafia;8572610

I've got a spare SKY+ box incase you're interested pal :thumbsup:

I could well be mate, are you in any rush to sell it? Because they're coming to install it on Saturday, if all goes well then I will be interested in it :thumbsup:

smasha7;8572594

Yeah for a small fee, ours put in a quad LNB instead of the standard single and the extra cable it needed (about 30 metres) for £20:thumbsup: He did say £30 to start so we haggled him down.

smasha7;8572667

I could well be mate, are you in any rush to sell it? Because they're … I could well be mate, are you in any rush to sell it? Because they're coming to install it on Saturday, if all goes well then I will be interested in it :thumbsup:

It's all packed up in the box mate so ready whenever you are!

Original Poster

harlzter;8572685

Yeah for a small fee, ours put in a quad LNB instead of the standard … Yeah for a small fee, ours put in a quad LNB instead of the standard single and the extra cable it needed (about 30 metres) for £20:thumbsup: He did say £30 to start so we haggled him down.

I'll be getting a quad LNB anyway I believe as I'm getting Sky+ HD? and we've previously had Sky+ so I probably already have a dish with a quad LNB :-D

We'll see how it goes on Saturday though :thumbsup:

Original Poster

TheMafia;8572694

Do you know which model Sky+ Box is it by any chance?

smasha7;8572703

Do you know which model Sky+ Box is it by any chance?

No I don't I'm afraid - I only bought it recently as a spare for my multiroom before I upgraded to HD

Before I went out and bought a Sky+ box I'd be asking Sky what price they will do you a box at. I reckon they will start at £50, and you may get it for less negotiating.

I bought a secondhand box privately and later tried to get a new one from Sky with a bigger HDD or cancel. Because I had asked them to pair my card with the secondhand box they recorded that I had a + box on their records. When I asked for a new + box they simply thought they had supplied it originally and I couldn't have another. They were insistent and would not supply one to me. I'd just start with them and see whether you can get one at a reasonable price as most people want 40-50 quid for a box anyway.

Original Poster

BlackCloud;8572735

Before I went out and bought a Sky+ box I'd be asking Sky what price they … Before I went out and bought a Sky+ box I'd be asking Sky what price they will do you a box at. I reckon they will start at £50, and you may get it for less negotiating.I bought a secondhand box privately and later tried to get a new one from Sky with a bigger HDD or cancel. Because I had asked them to pair my card with the secondhand box they recorded that I had a + box on their records. When I asked for a new + box they simply thought they had supplied it originally and I couldn't have another. They were insistent and would not supply one to me. I'd just start with them and see whether you can get one at a reasonable price as most people want 40-50 quid for a box anyway.

Well I was quoted £199 off of them earlier on today :?

i don't think they do sky+ boxes anymore, they only do sky hd boxes, they want £199 for a standard one and £249 for the 1tb box, i rang them yesterday to book an engineer visit and this was what i was told,:thumbsup:

The sky engineer who fitted our boxes after we moved put two feeds into every room whether they were going to have a sky+ box or a basic box.

Original Poster

TheMafia;8572694

They've just installed it and put the extra cable in for a £10 tip :thumbsup:

I'm now able to buy this box off you if your ready to sell it

smasha7;8613004

They've just installed it and put the extra cable in for a £10 tip … They've just installed it and put the extra cable in for a £10 tip :thumbsup:I'm now able to buy this box off you if your ready to sell it

Check my profile and my For Sale/Trade activity, I have 1 for sale in there.

hotukdeals.com/ite…ote
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions