Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Buying a smartphone from uk sites and abroad..

Posted 22nd Sep
Hi all, clearly abroad, for the most part is cheaper than here to buy a phone. I am just looking to see what the most reliable sites are to purchase one from here or abroad- As I do not have any credit cards, just a visa debit. Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Buying From Abroad

Groups

9 Comments
I think you would have to pay 20% vat on import outside EU, plus exchange fees, so an iPhone from America for example would not be a big enough saving to be worth it.
Edited by: "scottishpunter" 22nd Sep
scottishpunter22/09/2019 16:54

I think you would have to pay 20% vat on import outside EU, plus exchange …I think you would have to pay 20% vat on import outside EU, plus exchange fees, so an iPhone from America for example would not be a big enough saving to be worth it.

I didn't think that it would work in the UK due to different band... ....or maybe I am wrong
Bazzer5522/09/2019 19:13

I didn't think that it would work in the UK due to different band... …I didn't think that it would work in the UK due to different band... ....or maybe I am wrong

Most modern phones, apple, samsung etc are multi band so will operate worldwide and not a different model for each market.
Well ....That told me
deleted2243058
Android - never been a fan of Iphone. No set budget really, just good value.

It seems some sites like Xiaomi have good deals etc, gearbest and the like. Just wondered how risky it would be using 'just' a visa debit. Cheers mate
It's pit luck with some of the Chinese sites. If you are using a debit card, maybe consider using PayPal too for added security.

I would say away from Banggood however, as they advertise a wide range of products but don't always have them in stock so will make up excuses until they finally get them in stock. Depending on where your located, they will wait until they have a large number of items going to that location, in order to save them shipping costs, so your order will be stuck on processing status for days on end.
scottishpunter22/09/2019 19:28

Most modern phones, apple, samsung etc are multi band so will operate …Most modern phones, apple, samsung etc are multi band so will operate worldwide and not a different model for each market.

Not all phones imported from China (grey imports) support all of the frequency bands used in the UK. You want to ensure it has Band 20 support. Phones marketed as Global more likely provide this. See the following article

4g.co.uk/4g-…ow/
hantshog20/10/2019 17:19

Not all phones imported from China (grey imports) support all of the …Not all phones imported from China (grey imports) support all of the frequency bands used in the UK. You want to ensure it has Band 20 support. Phones marketed as Global more likely provide this. See the following articlehttps://www.4g.co.uk/4g-frequencies-uk-need-know/

I know op was 27 days ago!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants