Groups

Buying a used Car !

Thinking of buying a used family car, preferably 3-4 yrs old. Havent got a make or model is mind (anything except a Fiat will do). Is there anything I should pay particular attention to when buying from private hands?

Thanks

37 Comments

Service history is always nice to have and if the milage is highish then a camb belt change is also something to look out for... hope i helped a little lol :giggle:

I've been told that japanesse cars are the most reliable.
    I family all have japanesse cars,never broke down

Admin

check under the wheel arches for any cosmetic damage... ie rust. Check the service book for all it's stamps (we found out after we bought our merc that there was a stamp missing) You should have one for every major service.
    If you're buying private, look on their drive for oil spots.
    Have a look ]HERE

There's a bit of a guide.
    Otherwise, do what I do, kick the tyres, moan about the scratch on the door then buy it anyway :giggle:

The best buys in the private market IMO are Nissan Almera Tino's if you are after a family car/MPV thing. The higher spec ones have a little camera on the back of the car and when you are parking it comes up on the screen in the dashboard!

Also others to think about could include mondeo, last of the old accord, last of the old toyota avensis.

Thanks

Edi, I've pm'd you. I can save you a little bit of money in your search. I'm not selling a car, I just know a fair bit about the motor trade.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the tips & advise Will update as things progress..

Burned my fingers twice buying used cars... def not this time :thumbsup:

What's your budget edi??.

buy my car Edi lol

not much of a family car but the kids will think your cool !!

Original Poster

lol saxo.. Eyeing for Vauxhall Vectra or similar atm

currychops

What's your budget edi??.

Happy to spend up to £5k depending on the condition

i always by Japanese Edi...
    can't go wrong with Japanese engineering
    toyota, nissan both always reliable and safe cars.

edi

lol saxo.. Eyeing for Vauxhall Vectra or similar atm :)Happy to spend up … lol saxo.. Eyeing for Vauxhall Vectra or similar atm :)Happy to spend up to £5k depending on the condition

Avoid Vauxhalls Edi, buy a Japanese car, Mazda, Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc.

Get someone in the motor trade to guide you.

Check service history, mileage, accident history, finance outstanding etc.

The used car world is a minefield.;-)

yes avoid a Vectra edi...a mondeo is a far better car....have a look at ]trade-sales.co.uk or pop along to have a look.

Top tip for buying privately, always get a ]HPI check done to make sure everything is legit.

Japanese all the way! (just not Nissan - it got Nissan looks and French reliability).

Kommunist

Japanese all the way! (just not Nissan - it got Nissan looks and … Japanese all the way! (just not Nissan - it got Nissan looks and French reliability).

Partly true of some of the newer Nissans.. ;-) Still more reliable than French cr*p.

Inactive

Partly true of some of the newer Nissans.. ;-) Still more reliable than … Partly true of some of the newer Nissans.. ;-) Still more reliable than French cr*p.

but aren't Nissan owned by Renault???

They are not owned by Renault, it is called 'an alliance'. Renault got 45% (if memory serves me right) of their shares and Nissan got 20% of Renault shares.

Kommunist

They are not owned by Renault, it is called 'an alliance'. Renault got … They are not owned by Renault, it is called 'an alliance'. Renault got 45% (if memory serves me right) of their shares and Nissan got 20% of Renault shares.

Thanks for the clarification Kommunist.

currychops

Thanks for the clarification Kommunist.

You're welcome But I won't buy Nissan anyway :-D

]http//ww…07/

some guidance on best buys for used cars.

Here's a few options: Hyundai Coupe - looks great, small rear seats though ]Hyundai

Mazda 6 ]Mazda

Toyota ]Avensis

Also, Wise Buyer website is quite good.

Here's a couple of nice vectra's

]1

]2

]3

pet3r

Here's a couple of nice vectra's

No such beast...they are all cr*p.;-)

edi what type of car do you want? within reason?

What 3 aspects would you consider most important about the car?

What would it's main use be?

Do you have an Insurance Group limit on the car? etc etc

Scouser78

Edi, I've pm'd you. I can save you a little bit of money in your search. … Edi, I've pm'd you. I can save you a little bit of money in your search. I'm not selling a car, I just know a fair bit about the motor trade.

Can you pm me as well, seeing as we're both scousers:thumbsup:

Original Poster

You guys are fantastic :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advise.. Looks like many (inc my family) are in favour of Japanese :-D

I would look for a Mazda 6 1.8 TS

or possibly a Mondeo 1.8 -LX will do the job

Original Poster

schizoboy

edi what type of car do you want? within reason?What 3 aspects would you … edi what type of car do you want? within reason?What 3 aspects would you consider most important about the car?What would it's main use be?Do you have an Insurance Group limit on the car? etc etc

1. Family car - should be 'OK' for at 3 or 4 adults + 1 child

2. Main use :- Social, domestic and pleasure use

3. Prefer it to be 1800cc or less for insurance reasons

Thanks schizo :thumbsup:

I know its boring, but Nissan Primeras are my choice, they're pretty cheap to buy, very reliable and don't have a pesky cambelt, so nothing to snap and cause havoc. Mine has done 130K with no prob's whatsoever. Might be a bit of a struggle finding one that's £5K tho lol..........you could get 2 for that! :-D

4 adults + 1 child = large family car at the bare minimum imo

1800cc really the ceiling you want? surely it can be based on insurance group?

I had a petrol mondeo mk1 for several years and was very happy with it, bought 2nd hand from 30k miles and did up to 70k miles without problems, was my 2nd car after my mk2 golf I had as a teenager.

I have driven the mondeo mk2 (00-07) and really like it and is well reviewed, they all depreciate like mad so a 4-6year old example will have taken the majority of the depreciation hit so is what I would advise.

Mondeo mk2 1800cc petrol is IG8
    Mondeo mk2 2000cc diesel is IG9
    Negligable insurance group difference when you take into account 36mpg on petrol and 50mpg on diesel

2002 Mondeo mk2 2.0l TDCi 115ps 02 reg should just about hit your budget £5k limit depending on milage/trim level and what you find and when you buy it as I imagine alot of dealers/private sellers will have some come late July/August when people want their 57 plate and trade in.

Just my amateur tupence

schizoboy

4 adults + 1 child = large family car at the bare minimum imo1800cc … 4 adults + 1 child = large family car at the bare minimum imo1800cc really the ceiling you want? surely it can be based on insurance group?I had a petrol mondeo mk1 for several years and was very happy with it, bought 2nd hand from 30k miles and did up to 70k miles without problems, was my 2nd car after my mk2 golf I had as a teenager.I have driven the mondeo mk2 (00-07) and really like it and is well reviewed, they all depreciate like mad so a 4-6year old example will have taken the majority of the depreciation hit so is what I would advise.Mondeo mk2 1800cc petrol is IG8Mondeo mk2 2000cc diesel is IG9 Negligable insurance group difference when you take into account 36mpg on petrol and 50mpg on diesel2002 Mondeo mk2 2.0l TDCi 115ps 02 reg should just about hit your budget £5k limit depending on milage/trim level and what you find and when you buy it as I imagine alot of dealers/private sellers will have some come late July/August when people want their 57 plate and trade in.Just my amateur tupence

I'd certainly go along with that schizo...my mate has a 53 plate Mondeo diesel 115 ps with 6 speed box and it's a lovely car to drive.

Original Poster

schizoboy

4 adults + 1 child = large family car at the bare minimum imo1800cc … 4 adults + 1 child = large family car at the bare minimum imo1800cc really the ceiling you want? surely it can be based on insurance group?I had a petrol mondeo mk1 for several years and was very happy with it, bought 2nd hand from 30k miles and did up to 70k miles without problems, was my 2nd car after my mk2 golf I had as a teenager.I have driven the mondeo mk2 (00-07) and really like it and is well reviewed, they all depreciate like mad so a 4-6year old example will have taken the majority of the depreciation hit so is what I would advise.Mondeo mk2 1800cc petrol is IG8Mondeo mk2 2000cc diesel is IG9 Negligable insurance group difference when you take into account 36mpg on petrol and 50mpg on diesel2002 Mondeo mk2 2.0l TDCi 115ps 02 reg should just about hit your budget £5k limit depending on milage/trim level and what you find and when you buy it as I imagine alot of dealers/private sellers will have some come late July/August when people want their 57 plate and trade in.Just my amateur tupence

1800cc is based on Insurance bracket (I was told so) :roll:. 4 adults going together is very rare and I would aim for 2+1 trip most of the time. Thanks for the advise schizo

Hope the picture insertion is forgiven but nice idea of sales figures recently which hopefully will hint at 2nd hand markets.

May 2007 new car registrations:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7338/07regii6.png

Original Poster

Surprisingly (or not) no good news for Nissan & market share for Vauxhall reamains pretty much unchanged

Note: Audi + Volkswagon + Seat + Skoda = 15.5% all under the VW Group umbrella/parts bin albeit they can't make as much per car vs. Ford/Vauxhall due to the cost of 4 seperate brands/companies like that.

Also Rover fell 96%, ran out of 2/3year old models to register as new I think

Ignore those figures, they take in to account fleet and hire car sales, some companies almost give away their cars to get rid of them to companies etc.

Ever seen a BSM Driving School car that isn't a Vauxhall?

They get them for pennies.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Deleting chats on Facebook Messenger22
      2. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism916
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764345
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17416148

See more discussions