Buying a Used Car - Autotrader dodgy sellers??

Found 13th Aug 2011
Hey I've been looking on autotrader for a cheap used run about for my gf! We saw a couple of Ford Ka's in our local area sold by trade sellers which seemed to fit the bill!

When we drove to the location listed it was just some guys house with a load of cars parked up! Anyone got any experience of this? Is it dodge? We didn't bother looking at it because of this and I feel more confident buying a car from a place that has a garage so it's clear they have some mechanical knowledge!

I rang another "trade seller" and he said he wasn't home yet and asked me to go about 2ish! Once again we didn't bother
Community Updates
MiscCar
15 Comments
I think if you list as a trade seller, you get cheaper rates. If he's actually a private seller (or someone buying and selling on the side) then he's probably just trying to get round higher fees.
Surely anyone buying and selling cars would be a trade seller, regardless of where they're trading from.
gavjbrown

Surely anyone buying and selling cars would be a trade seller, regardless … Surely anyone buying and selling cars would be a trade seller, regardless of where they're trading from.

Autotrader has "Trade Sellers" and "Private Sellers"
gavjbrown

Surely anyone buying and selling cars would be a trade seller, regardless … Surely anyone buying and selling cars would be a trade seller, regardless of where they're trading from.

Not if you're only selling one or two cars! A trader is an actual business.
A lot of people buy cars from auction to sell on, as a business from their home. Just because they operate out of their home don't discount them straight away, I'd just be a little more careful when buying, and don't rely on being able to take it back if you have major issues (they may not be there when you try!). Although don't think "proper" trade wont rip you off - when buying a used car it pays to be extra cautious wherever you buy from!
Edited by: "tvfan" 13th Aug 2011
feeder16

Autotrader has "Trade Sellers" and "Private Sellers"

baffledsalmon

Not if you're only selling one or two cars! A trader is an actual … Not if you're only selling one or two cars! A trader is an actual business.

What he means is if you are a trader then you are a trader by definition of selling regularly as an income source, the premises dont matter. ie you can be an accountant in an office block or an accountant who works from home but either way you are an accountant still.
harlzter

What he means is if you are a trader then you are a trader by definition … What he means is if you are a trader then you are a trader by definition of selling regularly as an income source, the premises dont matter. ie you can be an accountant in an office block or an accountant who works from home but either way you are an accountant still.

Exactly, if they buy to sell then they're a trader. Where they trade from is irrelevant.
Yeah I understand you can run a business from home but when it comes to cars I feel more confident when they have a garage and clearly have some mechanical knowledge! This was in a cul de sac in the middle of no where with 5 or 6 cars in his drive!
gavjbrown

Exactly, if they buy to sell then they're a trader. Where they trade from … Exactly, if they buy to sell then they're a trader. Where they trade from is irrelevant.

And I was explaining to the OP that the reason a lot of people who sell privately list as a trader on Autotrader to reduce their fees... it doesn't mean they are an "official garage". I could go and register as a trader and list my car for sale... doesn't mean I do it for a living, just means I'm circumventing the fees!
Similar to the old EBay trick where people used to charge 1p then charge £50 P&P
They probably won't be actually listed as a trader, and as such you wouldn't be afforded the same level of protection as a 2nd hand car dealer should something go wrong.
i've bought from dealers and private and in my experience the dealers were worst. just find a private seller and give it a good once over and allow for repairs in the price your prepared to offer.
op bet my bottom dollar the so called trades guy selling from home isnt paying taxes.

pass his details to inland revenue, u could do this online. no harm u will be doing the country a favour. i.r always happy to receive tip offs even though it may all be nothing. only takes a few clicks.

but yeah you're right to stay well clear- ive found these del boy traders from home tend to sell cars with mish mash parts/doors swapped from other vehicles etc. lucky if it still runs in a week.

only time i would buy a car is from a genuinely "private" seller i.e single lady owner. or a retired person.
feeder16

Yeah I understand you can run a business from home but when it comes to … Yeah I understand you can run a business from home but when it comes to cars I feel more confident when they have a garage and clearly have some mechanical knowledge! This was in a cul de sac in the middle of no where with 5 or 6 cars in his drive!

It's down to overheads. The majority of car advertising is now on the internet, there is no need to have a forecourt to display the cars. Why pay rent and rates and gas and electric and staff, when you can run it from home. Plus, as he is saving mopney, he doesn't have to sell the cars at the same price as the other garages, he can undercut them and still make the same profit.
sedd33

op bet my bottom dollar the so called trades guy selling from home isnt … op bet my bottom dollar the so called trades guy selling from home isnt paying taxes.pass his details to inland revenue, u could do this online.but yeah you're right to stay well clear- ive found these del boy traders from home tend to sell cars with mish mash parts/doors swapped from other vehicles etc. lucky if it still runs in a week.My thoughts exactly! The guy looked dodgy as! There's a lot to be said about first impressions! only time i would buy a car is from a genuinely "private" seller i.e single lady owner. or a retired person.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions