BUYING A USED CAR - Problem with HPI - Advice needed pls!

Found 11th Mar 2012
Hoping someone can help.

Went and saw a car yesterday from a dealer and all was fine so I placed a deposit with collection this Friday but I just performed a HPI check and it's come back with outstanding finance! Spoken to the dealer who states it takes six month to drop off the system and not to worry, he advised me to call the finance company tomorrow to confirm they have no interest in the car and all should be ok.

Does this sound right to anyone or do I walk away from this one? Or are there any other steps I can take to ensure no comebacks if I proceed with the purchase?

Any advise will be very much appreciated.
Community Updates
50 Comments
Doesn't sound right to me... Sure the finance marker can be taken off immediately (as soon as the car is completely paid off)?
nope walk away m8 should be off the system right away
singer

nope walk away m8 should be off the system right away

not true. It will stay on the HPI system until the finance company removes it

jsut call them in the morning as advised
why has the finance comp not taken it off when it has been cleared (has it been cleared ), i would wonder why it been left on the system especially when it is up for sale , you would think the first thing would be taken off the system to allow it so sell without question as to its status
also if company says finance is cleared make sure they send you confirmation in written form m8

Edited by: "singer" 11th Mar 2012
singer

why has the finance comp not taken it off when it has been cleared (has … why has the finance comp not taken it off when it has been cleared (has it been cleared ), i would wonder why it been left on the system especially when it is up for sale , you would think the first thing would be taken off the system to allow it so sell without question as to its status

cos there are hundreds of finance houses and a lot are slow at updating the HPI records.
Just give them a call in the morning and you'll get your answer.
I think ill ring them in the morning to confirm, spoken to the AA who did my
HPI check and they will chase it aswell. Payment wise would bankers draft be the best option as this would be traceable. Thanks again guys.
http://forward-now.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/10-ft-pole.gif
Veitas200700

I think ill ring them in the morning to confirm, spoken to the AA who did … I think ill ring them in the morning to confirm, spoken to the AA who did myHPI check and they will chase it aswell. Payment wise would bankers draft be the best option as this would be traceable. Thanks again guys.

Pay some or all on a Visa card as you will covered on the whole amount if the worst happens.
Personally unless it's a rare car I would walkaway, it's a buyers market.
Why walk away before making the phone call as suggested?

These things take time to update - although 6 months seems excessive - so hive it a chance
I once bought a car that the owner had paid off the finance on it, I phoned the finance company to check they had no interest in it (which they hadn't). Over 4 years later the car was damaged and the salvage company wouldn't take it as it still had a marker on it. Rang the finance company and they removed it.
Seems to me the seller should be sorting this out, not passing on the job to the buyer.
Plum

Seems to me the seller should be sorting this out, not passing on the job … Seems to me the seller should be sorting this out, not passing on the job to the buyer.

Seller tells you it's clear

Do you check yourself or believe them
dimebars

Seller tells you it's clearDo you check yourself or believe them

Not saying the buyer should not check, I am saying once he finds it is not clear the seller should be sorting it and letting him know when it's done so he can confirm.

dimebars

Why walk away before making the phone call as suggested?These things take … Why walk away before making the phone call as suggested?These things take time to update - although 6 months seems excessive - so hive it a chance

Seems as though it may be just a quick fix if the finance company says its clear, I really like the car and don't want to miss out of its a quick fix.
Veitas200700

Seems as though it may be just a quick fix if the finance company says … Seems as though it may be just a quick fix if the finance company says its clear, I really like the car and don't want to miss out of its a quick fix.

Fine if you want to get saddled with someone elses debt. If there is outstanding finance and the payments are not kept up the car could be seized.

Do you still really like the car enough to ignore that?
Plum

Seems to me the seller should be sorting this out, not passing on the job … Seems to me the seller should be sorting this out, not passing on the job to the buyer.

Buyer wants to hear it himself direct from the finance company.

Plum

Not saying the buyer should not check, I am saying once he finds it is … Not saying the buyer should not check, I am saying once he finds it is not clear the seller should be sorting it and letting him know when it's done so he can confirm.

So the seller checks then tells buyer it's clear.

Does the buyer then believe them or still check themselves.
deek72

Buyer wants to here it himself direct from the finance company.

dimebars

So the seller checks then tells buyer it's clear. Does the buyer then … So the seller checks then tells buyer it's clear. Does the buyer then believe them or still check themselves.

Again I am not suggesting for one minute the buyer should not confirm everything directly.

I am stating that the seller should be contacting the finance company and getting the car cleared not the buyer.

If the seller cannot or will not do this then I would walk away.

It's not the sellers place. They aren't the ones with the finance outstanding. They are an intermediary.
dimebars

It's not the sellers place. They aren't the ones with the finance … It's not the sellers place. They aren't the ones with the finance outstanding. They are an intermediary.

I think you will find it will probably be something to do with the seller if there is outstanding finance.

If it is an admin issue, it is still in the sellers interest to get it resolved
dimebars

It's not the sellers place. They aren't the ones with the finance … It's not the sellers place. They aren't the ones with the finance outstanding. They are an intermediary.

If any outstanding finance is against the car and the seller has taken ownership of the car then it is their place to sort it before selling it.
Pointless thread until the OP rings the finance company to ascertain their position on this.
Pointless thread.
Read the OP. The seller is a dealer. The car had finance on it from a previous customer of the dealer. The dealer CAN'T have the marker removed as he is not the finance co's customer

Simple really
Plum

If any outstanding finance is against the car and the seller has taken … If any outstanding finance is against the car and the seller has taken ownership of the car then it is their place to sort it before selling it.

The point is there is no finance outstanding. The marker hasn't been removed and won't be at the request of the dealer as he is not the finance companys customer

Jesus
My concern would be that if there is already this issue that has come to light and the dealer is not botherered about making sure it is resolved, what would they be like if there were mechanical problems with the car? Would they wash their hands of those as well.

Bankers Draft -- NO The money will come out of your account regardless. A bankers draft will just ensure the seller gets the money without any hassle.
There will be loads more cars without any problems. Why tie yourself to one with potential hassle?
This happens regularly.

Car is traded in and dealer clears finance. Finance co slow to update system therefore marker remains

The dealer isn't bothered because they know it's paid and the customer phones to confirm

Stop over reacting
Veitas200700

I think ill ring them in the morning to confirm, spoken to the AA who did … I think ill ring them in the morning to confirm, spoken to the AA who did myHPI check and they will chase it aswell. Payment wise would bankers draft be the best option as this would be traceable. Thanks again guys.

Pay part/all using a credit card (not debit) as this will give you cover under the Consumer Credit Act if there becomes an issuer with the finance or if the dealer goes bust and there is an issue with the car.
used to work in car data
depends on the HPI that is against car
if its a dealership one then he will pay it off using funds you pay him - not an issue
if its from previous user then check it out
if you used a repuatible car data check service - experian etc - they will do the investigation for you
What was the outcome op?
Spoke to the car finance firm today who state they do still have an interest in the car! but spoke to the dealership who have a fax from the finance company to say its clear. The company did say that this is possible as they cannot disclose some info to a third party for ten working days but may well have confirmed this to the dealership. Not sure what to do as the dealer will not return my deposit as they insist the HPI is clear but AA and the finance company cannot confirm this? Any ideas?
Veitas200700

Spoke to the car finance firm today who state they do still have an … Spoke to the car finance firm today who state they do still have an interest in the car! but spoke to the dealership who have a fax from the finance company to say its clear. The company did say that this is possible as they cannot disclose some info to a third party for ten working days but may well have confirmed this to the dealership. Not sure what to do as the dealer will not return my deposit as they insist the HPI is clear but AA and the finance company cannot confirm this? Any ideas?

I would believe the finance company at this stage. Get it in writing from them that there is a marker on the car as they still have an interest in it. Then insist on your deposit back. If the dealer still refuses I would personally threaten further action to recover the deposit. The HPI doesn't check out and the finance company are interested. If all thats in writing, the dealer isn't in a position to prove otherwise.
How did you pay the deposit?
I am assuming that you have to pay for this HPI check, bit of a swindle that multiple people can check the same car when one check by the dealer with written proof to give to any prospective buyer would negate all the repeat checks, bit of an uneccessary swizz imo.

greg_68

I am assuming that you have to pay for this HPI check, bit of a swindle … I am assuming that you have to pay for this HPI check, bit of a swindle that multiple people can check the same car when one check by the dealer with written proof to give to any prospective buyer would negate all the repeat checks, bit of an uneccessary swizz imo.

Every dealer I have bought from or even been interested in has shown me the clear hpi on cars. Is the car from a street trader?
oddballjamie

How did you pay the deposit?

It was paid in cash to dealer who traded from home, he stated he was vat registered if that make any difference.
Veitas200700

It was paid in cash to dealer who traded from home, he stated he was vat … It was paid in cash to dealer who traded from home, he stated he was vat registered if that make any difference.

Might sound a bit extreme but show him what you've others have said from the HPI check. If he ignores that, hand him a letter informing him you are taking him to a small claims court. He will hopefully get the idea that you are getting your money back one way or another and back down.

whatconsumer.co.uk/mak…im/
I would steer clear until the finance issue has been addressed. If there is outstanding finance, the car is still owned by the finance company as they own the car. You could potentially be losing a lot of money if this backfires whereby you would lose the car to the finace company plus loose your money to the dealer. If the dealer accepts credit cards, it is vital you pay some money on the card to give you some form of protection.
I've told the dealer that there's no way I'm buying it before the finance is showing as clear. He has agreed to refund if it's not sorted by Friday.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants