Buying a used Ford Fiesta

Posted 7th Mar
What would you do......(not alternative cars please).

I want to pay around the 10k mark, preferably less.

I want 2018, either a late reg 18 plate or 68 plate.

Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.0 EcoBoost Petrol (or better)

5 door.

Less than 15k miles.

Intend on keeping for 10 years.

Cash buyer

I would be up for a finance offer if it were 0% or cash payment up front with 0% further monthly payments, open to suggestions.

Thanks Currently looking at one up for 10,122 and trying to haggle down to under 10k, but what would the pros do?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

27 Comments
Have you found a car that fits those criteria?
I wouldn’t touch the eco boost engine. From my experience and 100’s of others that have been shafted by Ford.
joxeruk200007/03/2020 19:32

I wouldn’t touch the eco boost engine. From my experience and 100’s of oth …I wouldn’t touch the eco boost engine. From my experience and 100’s of others that have been shafted by Ford.

Yeah, wouldn't touch the eco-boom with a barge pole, had problems with these engines. 10 years is when the timing belt is due or 150k, so it'll either crap out before that or it'll cost you a bloody fortune to have the belt replaced.
Edited by: "richp" 7th Mar
If that’s the car you want, why not get a 17 plate.
From what I can see the road tax is £145, that’s £1450 min for ten years.
Get a pre 1st April 2017 and road tax is £0.00.
joxeruk200007/03/2020 19:32

I wouldn’t touch the eco boost engine. From my experience and 100’s of oth …I wouldn’t touch the eco boost engine. From my experience and 100’s of others that have been shafted by Ford.

I recently bought a focus mk3 1.6 , I did look at the 1.0 eco as they seemed a lot cheaper but once I read up in the engines and fail rates of even new ones I went for a solid 1.6 petrol titanium

Got it yesterday and it’s a cracking car
Edited by: "ashmac" 7th Mar
Check motorpoint it’s become a hot dealer favourite in recent year
I wouldn’t touch ecoboost either. I’ve just purchase a focus mk3 titanium 1.6 diesel and runs like a dream
Use one of thees for work, van, all have engine problems after 3000 miles.
eelvis07/03/2020 21:37

Use one of thees for work, van, all have engine problems after 3000 miles.

Which engines ?
1.0 ECCO petrol, shame great budget car apart from that. Nippy, good mpg, fantastic entertainment system and decent drive but if under warranty they I guess ok.
I’d go for a late 80’s / early 90’s fizzbomb

I had mine for years and years, Charlene never let me down
I know you said no alternative cars but I bought an older 2013 about 3 years ago. Turbo pipes rusted...fault as described before. Horrendous company, shame as it was a nice wee car. Wouldn't throw 10k at a Ford and will never buy a ford again (much to mrs annoyance). Never been burned by German or Japanese cars. I would be looking into a suzuki boosterjet.
Bought a used Ford in November. Interesting how desperate the dealers were to off load the Ecoboost 1.0 versions. I'm disappointed to say that after 3 months of Ford ownership, you can see where the saving are made and will not be buying another.
You wont keep it ten years , Five years if yuou're lucky. FACT. Its the law.
i was afraid of those replies haha, i did look into the engine problems and apparently its just coolant levels and if you keep an eye on it theyre fine? my mother in law has had hers 2 years and its been fine.

okay so, if we are talking alternative cars with the same spec of technology around that price range, what would you buy? i would rather buy a newer car with low miles than one 10 years old, thanks
ashmac07/03/2020 20:21

I recently bought a focus mk3 1.6 , I did look at the 1.0 eco as they …I recently bought a focus mk3 1.6 , I did look at the 1.0 eco as they seemed a lot cheaper but once I read up in the engines and fail rates of even new ones I went for a solid 1.6 petrol titanium Got it yesterday and it’s a cracking car

I did the same, also got a focus mk3 1.6l, plenty of cheaper and newer fiesta/focus ecoboom's about because of all the issues so people are trying to dump them.

Whatever car you get, spend the £10 for a Forscan compatible obd cable and get Forscan on your laptop. Great software I used it to add loads of features on my focus for free that Ford charge hundreds for. TPMS, Hill Assist, Auto door locking and more. I also bought Ford factory parking sensors for around £75 on ebay, fitted them and enabled with Forscan, fully integrated into the stereo and screen! Ford won't even do that after you leave the factory (they fit after market ones with no integration).
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 8th Mar
dcx_badass08/03/2020 17:40

I did the same, also got a focus mk3 1.6l, plenty of cheaper and newer …I did the same, also got a focus mk3 1.6l, plenty of cheaper and newer fiesta/focus ecoboom's about because of all the issues so people are trying to dump them.Whatever car you get, spend the £10 for a Forscan compatible obd cable and get Forscan on your laptop. Great software I used it to add loads of features on my focus for free that Ford charge hundreds for. TPMS, Hill Assist, Auto door locking and more. I also bought Ford factory parking sensors for around £75 on ebay, fitted them and enabled with Forscan, fully integrated into the stereo and screen! Ford won't even do that after you leave the factory (they fit after market ones with no integration).

Auto door locking that is something I want on my mk3. Have you been able to get a digital speedo?
ndyanem08/03/2020 18:20

Auto door locking that is something I want on my mk3. Have you been able …Auto door locking that is something I want on my mk3. Have you been able to get a digital speedo?

No, but it's not something I've really looked at, you can see it in diagnostic mode (hold OK on the wheel whilst starting the car) so I imagine it's doable.
it needs to be small like a fiesta as my wife likes this, drove my civic and hates how big it is compared, so the focus isn't in the equation. forscan sounds amazing btw
cache08/03/2020 16:49

i was afraid of those replies haha, i did look into the engine problems …i was afraid of those replies haha, i did look into the engine problems and apparently its just coolant levels and if you keep an eye on it theyre fine? my mother in law has had hers 2 years and its been fine.okay so, if we are talking alternative cars with the same spec of technology around that price range, what would you buy? i would rather buy a newer car with low miles than one 10 years old, thanks

Cars shouldn't lose coolant. Turbo pipes corrode, drop coolant, engine already specced to heat up quickly, even if you were to notice...ecoboom. put me off a wee turbod engine but suzuki seem to have done it better.
dcx_badass08/03/2020 17:40

I did the same, also got a focus mk3 1.6l, plenty of cheaper and newer …I did the same, also got a focus mk3 1.6l, plenty of cheaper and newer fiesta/focus ecoboom's about because of all the issues so people are trying to dump them.Whatever car you get, spend the £10 for a Forscan compatible obd cable and get Forscan on your laptop. Great software I used it to add loads of features on my focus for free that Ford charge hundreds for. TPMS, Hill Assist, Auto door locking and more. I also bought Ford factory parking sensors for around £75 on ebay, fitted them and enabled with Forscan, fully integrated into the stereo and screen! Ford won't even do that after you leave the factory (they fit after market ones with no integration).

Mine come with hill assist , auto window wipers and parking sensors , the auto lock don’t think it has that so up get one of them cables thanks
so you are looking for a 'small car'?

Is it for your wife?

Is she looking for a car reliable and take you from A to B?

Or is she looking for a car which is 'fun to drive'?
dcx_badass08/03/2020 18:28

No, but it's not something I've really looked at, you can see it in …No, but it's not something I've really looked at, you can see it in diagnostic mode (hold OK on the wheel whilst starting the car) so I imagine it's doable.

Tried holding ok on the steering wheel, nothing happened 😞
ndyanem09/03/2020 19:47

Tried holding ok on the steering wheel, nothing happened 😞

The OK on the right? Left does the stereo test mode. Hold OK, then turn your key to OK, keep holding doe about 5 seconds and it should say test and you can scroll through the test options, dial sweep, led test etc.

40075724-SRdmW.jpg
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 9th Mar
dcx_badass09/03/2020 21:36

The OK on the right? Left does the stereo test mode. Hold OK, then turn …The OK on the right? Left does the stereo test mode. Hold OK, then turn your key to OK, keep holding doe about 5 seconds and it should say test and you can scroll through the test options, dial sweep, led test etc.[Image]

Mine is keyless, I held ok on the steering wheel on the left (that’s the only one with ok) continued hold and pressed the start button and nothing
Cisco06060609/03/2020 12:59

so you are looking for a 'small car'?Is it for your wife?Is she looking …so you are looking for a 'small car'?Is it for your wife?Is she looking for a car reliable and take you from A to B?Or is she looking for a car which is 'fun to drive'?

yes, fiesta size (She has a 2005 one currently) - reliable, a to b, child-friendly, and i am looking for all the technology that the titanium would have come with, e.g. android car play, sat nav, sensors/cameras (on some), led lights, lane assist, hill start, press start, etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants