Buying an Expensive Phone from eBay?

I'm looking at buying a phone from eBay for around £360. The seller has 600+ feedback, told me he's selling the phone only because he needs the money and it is in perfect working condition.

How much risk is there of anything going wrong? Any precautions I could take?

I normally don't buy from eBay, and never bought anything this expensive. Any help appreciated.

TIA

36 Comments

one simple rule, pay using paypal that way if anything goes wrong u be covered

I got my phone from ebay. It cost £300. Try to use a credit card or a visa debit card to fund the purchase, that way if things go wrong and paypal dont refund you, you can go to your bank and get the money back.

to be honest if you spending that much on a phone, u could be better off checking out a mobile contract that way u get free mins and texts, if you work out how much its going to cost you once u bought phone how much text and mins are going to cost you, might be cheaper getting contract phone

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;8272443

I got my phone from ebay. It cost £300. Try to use a credit card or a … I got my phone from ebay. It cost £300. Try to use a credit card or a visa debit card to fund the purchase, that way if things go wrong and paypal dont refund you, you can go to your bank and get the money back.

Would Visa Debit via Paypal be alright or would it need to be a direct bank transfer?

n1ttygr1tty;8272451

to be honest if you spending that much on a phone, u could be better off … to be honest if you spending that much on a phone, u could be better off checking out a mobile contract that way u get free mins and texts, if you work out how much its going to cost you once u bought phone how much text and mins are going to cost you, might be cheaper getting contract phone

Can't get the phone in this country unfortunately. He had it imported which is why I'm tempted to get it - saves me the hassle of import duty and all that, not to mention I'll receive it a lot quicker. The price is pretty much a bargain.

MrBrightside1987;8272466

Would Visa Debit via Paypal be alright or would it need to be a direct … Would Visa Debit via Paypal be alright or would it need to be a direct bank transfer?

Better with a credit card,

The phone could be fine now but get barred several months down the line when you have lost paypal protection

The most secure way is to pay by credit card through paypal

Original Poster

grabbit;8272487

Better with a credit card,The phone could be fine now but get barred … Better with a credit card,The phone could be fine now but get barred several months down the line when you have lost paypal protection

piecykoos;8272490

The most secure way is to pay by credit card through paypal

I don't have a credit card, maybe I should get one just for these kind of transactions. Would I be better off not getting this then seeing as I've only got the Visa Debit

Repped everyone who's posted so far.

Out of interest, what phone is it if its not available in the UK??

And you must be carefull because there is a lot of fake mobile phones made in China. Ask the seller for imei code then you can check it even on carphonewarehouse web (trade in option will show you what model is it)

Original Poster

gummer;8272523

Out of interest, what phone is it if its not available in the UK??

Google Nexus One. I already have a Desire on the way but I'd rather compare the two then sell the other one off. It's going to be on Vodafone soon so I suppose if this is too risky I might aswell wait. As Google are controlling the price of the phone and not Vodafone it may be reasonably priced.

piecykoos;8272534

And you must be carefull because there is a lot of fake mobile phones … And you must be carefull because there is a lot of fake mobile phones made in China. Ask the seller for imei code then you can check it even on carphonewarehouse web (trade in option will show you what model is it)

I've just messaged him asking for the IMEI. Thanks!

Is it the nexus one?

Original Poster

krazie2004;8272583

Is it the nexus one?

Yup, I've made a low offer for it but half hoping it's not accepted, I should just wait for the Vodafone one and keep my Desire for the meantime but I'm too damn impatient

UPDATE: He's willing to let it go for £340 + postage, it's so very tempting! However, he refuses to give me the IMEI saying

"Cheers for your offers but £340 is the lowest I will go With regards to … "Cheers for your offers but £340 is the lowest I will go With regards to the IMEI number I cannot send it to you just like that. No seller on eBay would do that. If you have doubts look at my feedback and I can assure you the phone is all above board etc."

Not sure what to do now. I bet some other sneaky HUKDer is going to go buy it now!

:thumbsup:Theres always another phone

Isn't the Nexus one just a 'rubbish' version of the desire?

I have checked the prices on ebay and this is the lowest you can get so be quick. If you really want it, buy it for 340 pounds and pay with credit card on paypal. When the phone arrives you can check the imei etc. and if something goes wrong you can make a claim and get your money back. Ask the seller for the original invoice - he should have it if he bought this phone from google.

Original Poster

DEALWARRIOR;8272755

:thumbsup:Theres always another phone

Not at this price!

sancho1983;8272756

Isn't the Nexus one just a 'rubbish' version of the desire?

Nope, this is one thing I DO know about. It's almost the same thing. I know I'd rather have this than a Desire for a few reasons.

piecykoos;8272758

I have checked the prices on ebay and this is the lowest you can get so … I have checked the prices on ebay and this is the lowest you can get so be quick. If you really want it, buy it for 340 pounds and pay with credit card on paypal. When the phone arrives you can check the imei etc. and if something goes wrong you can make a claim and get your money back. Ask the seller for the original invoice - he should have it if he bought this phone from google.

Thanks, I've just accepted the offer. Now how quickly can I get a credit card?

try mbna - you will get the decision online, and buy it throw quidco - there is a nice cashback Hope this helps, Angela

If you do not have a credit card call your bank and ask if your debit card transactions are covered anyway

Original Poster

piecykoos;8272836

try mbna - you will get the decision online, and buy it throw quidco - … try mbna - you will get the decision online, and buy it throw quidco - there is a nice cashback Hope this helps, Angela

Can't find them on Quidco...

the porter;8272879

i have the n1 why are you getting it over the desire what do you think … i have the n1 why are you getting it over the desire what do you think will be better?£340 seams too cheap whats the ebay number?

130380091469. It seems cheap but the guy seems very genuine. He's sold quite a few phones including an iPhone 3GS in the past.
It seems better for a few reasons:
1) I reckon it will hold it's price a bit better than the Desire. So better for the long-term when I do decide to sell it
2) Developer friendly. Paul at Modaco only got as far as adding root permissions, but has no read/write access to the system partition. This is pretty much the same as the protection on a Tattoo, and though there was a way to get access it was far too risky. Even if methods for rooting are found they're going to be too fiddly. In comparison, the Nexus was basically left bending-over by Google for developers.
I reckon the Nexus is the better phone for the long run, especially considering HTC's update rate.

3) It can be a Desire - you can install the Desire ROM on a Nexus making them the same thing but with the above bonuses, plus the dual mics noise cancellation and all that.

piecykoos;8272899

If you do not have a credit card call your bank and ask if your debit … If you do not have a credit card call your bank and ask if your debit card transactions are covered anyway

Wrong time to have a bank holiday I guess?

the porter;8272957

250607607782 is this it be wary at that price after fees he will just … 250607607782 is this it be wary at that price after fees he will just clear £300 i smell a rat bank holls they know they cant post till next week so they hack accounts

Wasn't that one. I trust the guy I got mine from. Seems very genuine. Smells good, what's for tea?

deathtrap3000;8272443

I got my phone from ebay. It cost £300. Try to use a credit card or a … I got my phone from ebay. It cost £300. Try to use a credit card or a visa debit card to fund the purchase, that way if things go wrong and paypal dont refund you, you can go to your bank and get the money back.

Section 75 doesn't apply through intermediaries like PayPal unfortunately.
grabbit;8272487

The phone could be fine now but get barred several months down the line … The phone could be fine now but get barred several months down the line when you have lost paypal protection

It doesnt matter if its barred if its going to be used outside of the UK.

the porter;8272827

pmsl its got dual mics the desire is a cheaper version of the n1 … pmsl its got dual mics the desire is a cheaper version of the n1 :thumbsup:

I didn't say cheaper, i said 'worse' Can't see much difference myself, no trackball on the Desire, slightly larger memory on the Desire.

Desire has the 'Sense UI' on top of it, hence the 'better'. All of this is only from what i have read, as i don't own both. Although am ordering a Desire tomorrow!!

I was more making the point that with the minimal differences is it worth it?

[QUOTE=MrBrightside1987;8273179]Can't find them on Quidco...

I meant ebay on quidco, there is possibility to get some cashback if you go to ebay through quidco. you can try to this way when you will go to checkout. And do not worry - ebay has a buyer protection program so you are covered when anything goes wrong, think positive, its Easter time

Jakg;8273543

It doesnt matter if its barred if its going to be used outside of the UK.

It's going to be used in the UK is it not?

Maybe it's barred abroad,no internationally buyers

Original Poster

the porter;8273227

well bill must be mad lol he could of got well over £400 you have got a … well bill must be mad lol he could of got well over £400 you have got a bargain if it goes well ,exactly why im keeping my n1 the desires price will drop the n1 will hold nicely

That's what I thought. Hope everything goes well! I might just send the Desire straight back without even opening it.

sancho1983;8273637

I didn't say cheaper, i said 'worse' Can't see much difference myself, no … I didn't say cheaper, i said 'worse' Can't see much difference myself, no trackball on the Desire, slightly larger memory on the Desire.Desire has the 'Sense UI' on top of it, hence the 'better'. All of this is only from what i have read, as i don't own both. Although am ordering a Desire tomorrow!!I was more making the point that with the minimal differences is it worth it?

For most people there is no difference. The Desire is an absolutely superb phone and the Nexus isn't much "better" than it. I just like to tinker with all my gadgets and for doing stuff like that the Nexus is better. Consider it a geeks version of the Desire.

piecykoos;8273778

Can't find them on Quidco...I meant ebay on quidco, there is possibility … Can't find them on Quidco...I meant ebay on quidco, there is possibility to get some cashback if you go to ebay through quidco. you can try to this way when you will go to checkout. And do not worry - ebay has a buyer protection program so you are covered when anything goes wrong, think positive, its Easter time

Thanks, I did the Quidco but not sure if it will work because I'd already won the auction. I just did the checkout via Quidco. Thanks anyway - it won't let me rep you anymore! I think the seller is genuine, loads of great feedback and sold lots of phones too in the past.

grabbit;8273843

It's going to be used in the UK is it not?Maybe it's barred abroad,no … It's going to be used in the UK is it not?Maybe it's barred abroad,no internationally buyers

I really hope it doesn't come to that. Thinking about it though I'm not sure how it'd work. Normally a phone is blocked by a network provider, but the Nexus comes from Google, from America to the UK so it's pretty much registered only to Google.

Anyways, repped everyone who's posted in this thread. Will post here again when the phone arrives!

Jakg;8273543

Section 75 doesn't apply through intermediaries like PayPal unfortunately.

Thats not stopped others from claiming. Some online stores only payment method is paypal so how would that work.

Banned

deathtrap3000;8274313

Thats not stopped others from claiming. Some online stores only payment … Thats not stopped others from claiming. Some online stores only payment method is paypal so how would that work.

It's dependant on your bank, some will some won't. Some say and it's getting more common, that banks won't chargeback, you paid for the goods by paypal therefore your issue is with them.

Your card was used to add funds to your payal account which happens, paypal and cards comply, therefore not used to directly buy goods end of the card involvement. Paypal balance buys the goods not the card.

grabbit;8273843

It's going to be used in the UK is it not?Maybe it's barred abroad,no … It's going to be used in the UK is it not?Maybe it's barred abroad,no internationally buyers

Ah misread it - I thought the OP said you couldn't get it in their country they were sending it to, not here.
deathtrap3000;8274313

Thats not stopped others from claiming. Some online stores only payment … Thats not stopped others from claiming. Some online stores only payment method is paypal so how would that work.

When have they suceeded? S75 doesn't cover payment gateways - it doesn't matter if its the only payment a website accepts.

Banned

Jakg;8274692

Ah misread it - I thought the OP said you couldn't get it in their … Ah misread it - I thought the OP said you couldn't get it in their country they were sending it to, not here.When have they suceeded? S75 doesn't cover payment gateways - it doesn't matter if its the only payment a website accepts.

Some people that I have known have won chargebacks, this is getting fewer and fewer though for the reasons you have said.

Some banks will do it, some won't chargebacks do happen though, it's not guaranteed pecause pp is a payment gateway like you say, you are not buying goods with the card, so it's not a fool proof safety net by any means.

Jakg;8274692

Ah misread it - I thought the OP said you couldn't get it in their … Ah misread it - I thought the OP said you couldn't get it in their country they were sending it to, not here.When have they suceeded? S75 doesn't cover payment gateways - it doesn't matter if its the only payment a website accepts.

Alot have said they have got their bank to do a chargeback on paypal when things have gone wrong without any problems from the bank.

Banned

deathtrap3000;8274761

Alot have said they have got their bank to do a chargeback on paypal when … Alot have said they have got their bank to do a chargeback on paypal when things have gone wrong without any problems from the bank.

There are equal amounts and it's getting more common due to the amount of pp fraud who are getting the refusal from the bank, for the reasons above^^^^^^ it is really hit and miss tbh.

i got tempted into something liek this a few years back, i never got my £300 back either even though i paid by paypal, i rang and emailed they told me to report it to police as identity theft and fraud. I even did that but they still didn't give my money back. I said il never use them again after that but i have but not forgotten. The person whose account was used to sell phone was supposedly hacked, even thought he had feedback of over 10000, there were a few others that got ripped of as well and only 2 people got money back, those who had paid with a direct transfer. so much for paypal protection!

Just to put a spin on things,how would I go about selling a phone (i.e. the desire) on the 'Bay? If I ask for payment through paypal,then the buyer could get the phone and then put in a claim sayin he never received it,or the box was empty or something.
I've heard paypal just refund straight away. Would a bank transfer be the best way to avoid this?
Thanks

kman123;8276891

Just to put a spin on things,how would I go about selling a phone (i.e. … Just to put a spin on things,how would I go about selling a phone (i.e. the desire) on the 'Bay? If I ask for payment through paypal,then the buyer could get the phone and then put in a claim sayin he never received it,or the box was empty or something.I've heard paypal just refund straight away. Would a bank transfer be the best way to avoid this? Thanks

If your going to sell it on ebay you MUST offer paypal as an option,so you couldn't insist the buyer paid by BT,

If you send it trackable,ie special delivery,it will be covered by royalmail in the unlikely event it gets lost in the post. The buyer could not claim not received falsely as there would be a tracking number for you to check it was received,

They could claim empty box but the weight of the package would indicate different,

Paypal don't refund instantly in the event of a non receipt claim,the payment is frozen until the issue is resolved,

If buyer claimed box was empty and paypal accepted this and refunded,you would be looking to make a claim with royalmail

grabbit;8277003

If your going to sell it on ebay you MUST offer paypal as an option,so … If your going to sell it on ebay you MUST offer paypal as an option,so you couldn't insist the buyer paid by BT,.....

Thanks for the reply. Hmm, seems a bit of hassle, and now I know why many people dont like selling on there. il have to try it through paypal and hope for the best, and make sure the buyer has good feedback.
although the idea that i could try to claim through royal mail if paypal do mess things up for me sounds like it could be helpful just in case. thanks. :thumbsup:

I WOULD AVOID BUYING THROUGH E BAY AS ITS A LONG PROCESS TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK AND THE PHONE COULD BE STOLEN. IT WILL WORK FINE FOR NOW AND SUDDENLY BE BLOCKED. HAVE YOU TRIED PRE PAY MANIA. THEY GOOD AT GETTING HANDSETS FORM ABROAD. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Just an update, I received the phone yesterday which was in immaculate condition - pretty much as it would be brand new. He sent it with the extras 2 sofa phone holders, screen protectors and the UK adapter. All seems to be working fine on O2, there was no need to even put internet settings in.

Overall very happy thanks to all who posted. Let's just hope it doesn't get blocked which I seriously doubt it will because it was imported from the US in the first place.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any PS4 News Here29213593
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763960
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17386132
    4. Better watch out for these...912

See more discussions