Buying an Iphone 3g 8gb

Banned 33 replies
Found 27th May 2010
im buying an iphone 3g 8GB in person by swapping my CEX vouchers £197, was wondering to seek some advice from experts. any common faults to look out for?

me and the seller has talked about it and he has mentioned:
he bought it from a friend 5 months back who purchased it through o2 and he had it 4 months at that time, so there should be 3 months warranty left. (gonna check this tonight by getting a serial number off him) it is jailbroken to 3.1.2 and black

it has had a screen protector on ever since purchasing from his friend, however it has a small air line crack on the back where the docking is. it is black and unlocked through jailbreak however if upgraded to firmware 3.1.3 it will be o2, which can be go round by jailbreaking etc..

it comes boxed with mains, instruction manual and cloth however no stock earphones

1. Misc
  2. iPhone
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. iPhone
33 Comments

Banned

well the 1st problem i can see is the seller could at anytime get the phone barred

Original Poster Banned

sassie;8708489

well the 1st problem i can see is the seller could at anytime get the … well the 1st problem i can see is the seller could at anytime get the phone barred

how?

Banned

thedealsealer;8708495

how?

by anyone reporting it lost/stolen and claiming for a new one

thedealsealer;8708495

how?

they just report it stolen-simples-you are buying it "third" hand(that you know of)

Original Poster Banned

how do i confirm that, that wont happen?

Banned

thedealsealer;8708506

you can't

Original Poster Banned

couldnt that be done through hukd though?

sassie;8708489

well the 1st problem i can see is the seller could at anytime get the … well the 1st problem i can see is the seller could at anytime get the phone barred

+1, bought from a friend is always worrying for me as they can deny responsibility when (sorry meant IF) phone gets barred.

thedealsealer;8708515

but the point is its a phone that the guy you are buying from bought from someone else-THEY could bar the phone,or someone could have owned it before they did etc etc-there are NO guarantees.

Banned

barky;8708531

but the point is its a phone that the guy you are buying from bought from … but the point is its a phone that the guy you are buying from bought from someone else-THEY could bar the phone,or someone could have owned it before they did etc etc-there are NO guarantees.

what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and what has this got to do with hukd, you cannot swap your voucher on here for an iphone

via pm no doubt

Not feeling good about this one...dont do it.

Original Poster Banned

yes yes i get ya point, thanks for your help
deciding not to go ahead with the sale
might aswell pay a little extra for less hassle

Original Poster Banned

sassie;8708545

what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^and what has this got to do with hukd, you … what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^and what has this got to do with hukd, you cannot swap your voucher on here for an iphonevia pm no doubt

its not through hukd.. it was through ebay lol but came on here for some advice
dont worry

Banned

thedealsealer;8708506

sassie;8708512

you can't

thedealsealer;8708515

couldnt what be done through hukd?

thedealsealer;8708564

its not through hukd.. it was through ebay lol but came on here for some … its not through hukd.. it was through ebay lol but came on here for some advicedont worry

considering the INSANE prices cex charge for second hand goods,the fact that someone would swap an iphone for 197 quid of vouchers would be a major alarm bell for me-what they could buy with those vouchers could be bought for 100 quid or less anywhere else-sounds like they are prepared to take ANYTHING to get rid quick.

Original Poster Banned

sassie;8708574

couldnt what be done through hukd?

like on another for sale post. if someone was selling a brand new iphone 3gs 16gb, and sold it to you but then a month later reported it stolen?

Banned

thedealsealer;8708598

like on another for sale post. if someone was selling a brand new iphone … like on another for sale post. if someone was selling a brand new iphone 3gs 16gb, and sold it to you but then a month later reported it stolen?

well yes of course, doesnt matter where it takes place, could be your next door neighbour, you cant stop them reporting it stolen if they so wish, and as barky said, exchanging for a £190 cex voucher should be enough for alarm bells

oh and ebay my butt

Original Poster Banned

sassie;8708614

well yes of course, doesnt matter where it takes place, could be your … well yes of course, doesnt matter where it takes place, could be your next door neighbour, you cant stop them reporting it stolen if they so wish, and as barky said, exchanging for a £190 cex voucher should be enough for alarm bellsoh and ebay my butt

you could get a moderator to check to my message inbox thing (if thats possible)

Banned

so you looked for all iphones on ebay asking to trade for a cex voucher did you? or did you buy the phone then email them to offer your cex voucher, please tell i am intrigued how you managed this

Original Poster Banned

sassie;8708635

so you looked for all iphones on ebay asking to trade for a cex voucher … so you looked for all iphones on ebay asking to trade for a cex voucher did you? or did you buy the phone then email them to offer your cex voucher, please tell i am intrigued how you managed this

i am selling my vouchers on ebay
Item number: 260609541448

i get loads of offers but i tend to decline them as i get really low offers like 100 but then one of them emailed me to trade with him for an iphone

Banned

thedealsealer;8708651

i am selling my vouchers on ebayItem number: 260609541448i get loads of … i am selling my vouchers on ebayItem number: 260609541448i get loads of offers but i tend to decline them as i get really low offers like 100 but then one of them emailed me to trade with him for an iphone

honestly your going to get badly ripped off here mate

Banned

sassie;8708614

oh and ebay my butt

how much are you selling it for?

thedealsealer;8708651

i am selling my vouchers on ebayItem number: 260609541448i get loads of … i am selling my vouchers on ebayItem number: 260609541448i get loads of offers but i tend to decline them as i get really low offers like 100 but then one of them emailed me to trade with him for an iphone

as a point of interest m8-100 quid isnt a really low offer in my opinion-if you go into a cex store and look at their prices,thats about what 197 quids worth of vouchers IS worth. I was in a cex yesterday and they want MORE for second hand iphones than you can buy them new on payg!

all their electrical goods were crazily priced-they must have a bunch of customers who havent a clue what things are worth!

Original Poster Banned

Yes I hate eBay, if I sell those vouchers, they charge me £ 13 fees. But I get lots of offers

Banned

aren't cex vouchers tied to your cex card?

Banned

thedealsealer;8708718

Yes I hate eBay, if I sell those vouchers, they charge me £ 13 fees. But … Yes I hate eBay, if I sell those vouchers, they charge me £ 13 fees. But I get lots of offers

why didnt you except cash from cex rather than vouchers? i know its alot less but you aint going to get scammed

Original Poster Banned

There vouchers with a one yer expiry and exchange vouchers are much more than cash. Dnw why I made a mistake then

The 4G is out in August, I'm waiting for that

just to let you know about the hairline cracks where the dock is , i had the same took my iphone into an apple store and got a new one as its a fault with the product

SAurely blocking/barring a phone can be done via any sale of a phone not just this particular case.

Why is everybody so worried in this instance?

deeppockets;8710555

just to let you know about the hairline cracks where the dock is , i had … just to let you know about the hairline cracks where the dock is , i had the same took my iphone into an apple store and got a new one as its a fault with the product

Hi,

ive got the same problem. Was your phone under warranty? What did you say when you went to them?

thanks

tommy_1;8710636

Hi,ive got the same problem. Was your phone under warranty? What did you … Hi,ive got the same problem. Was your phone under warranty? What did you say when you went to them?thanks

replied to your pm :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

mr.potato_head;8710623

SAurely blocking/barring a phone can be done via any sale of a phone not … SAurely blocking/barring a phone can be done via any sale of a phone not just this particular case.Why is everybody so worried in this instance?

thats what i was thinking too
it can be done on hukd but reading from the email i got, hes mentioning his "friend" a lot so the chances of it getting blocked is higher? :? hmm who knows
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322832
    2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would35150
    3. Sell old Lego by the kilo.22
    4. word association Game74244876

See more discussions