buying an iphone and I need some help

12 replies
Found 23rd May 2009
Hi guys.

Im buying a 2nd hand 3g 8GB iphone today for a cheap price from my local ad page.

I was wondering if anyone whos got one could tell me what should come with it,

what I need to be checking (to make sure everything works) and how I can tell whether the phone is legit or not

cheers

12 Comments

Banned

I got a 2g 16GB iPhone from ebay roughly a year ago and this is what it came with:

- iPhone (shockingly!)
- White Headphones (with a microphone part way down so it can be used a hands-free kit)
- White Dock (the phone sits in at a slight tilt)
- White USB Cable (connects to either the dock or the iPhone direct)
- White Charger (2 parts - a white plug and a square-ish plug/usb adapter thing which connect together. They will probably already be connected together when you go to see the iPhone. Anyway, the charger then connects to the USB cable)
- Manual

I asked my buddy who has a 3g iPhone if that's what he got too (who bought his brand new from an O2 shop) and he said yes, although I know Apple changed the look of the dock slightly for 3g iPhones, but that doesn't matter to you.

As for what to check, I guess you could insert your sim and make a call from it. You should probably check to see if the headphones work properly too if you can.

Not sure what you mean by "legit" either. I imagine you mean not an Apple iPhone, in which case you could probably tell just by looking. An iPhone has 2 volume control buttons on the left side, and a switch to turn the phone to silent. On the top there's a place to insert the headphones, a small thing (which you will probably need a paperclip to get into, I did) to take out and insert a new sim card, and an ON/OFF button. Nothing on the right side and then on the underside a place to insert the USB cable.

When you press the home button it should say "slide to unlock" on the bottom part of the screen and then when you do this, it takes you to the menu screen, which should 16 (4 by 4) icons for different apps (Text, Calender, Photos etc) and then 4 more icons at the bottom of the screen, which are usually - Phone, Mail, Safari (the web browser) and iPod.

Okay I probably gave way too much detail there! Anyway, hope that helps.

Original Poster

Brilliant thank you so much. I will take some headphones with me (he said the only thing that was missing was the headphones)

Ive got an o2 simplicity sim so ill also try that to make sure everything is working.

you've been a great help.

Im buying it for £180 so hopefully it will all be ok

I didnt get a dock with my iphone, i bought mine brand new from carphone warehouse. Apart from that - as above

Banned

charvelj;5296964

Brilliant thank you so much. I will take some headphones with me (he … Brilliant thank you so much. I will take some headphones with me (he said the only thing that was missing was the headphones)Ive got an o2 simplicity sim so ill also try that to make sure everything is working.you've been a great help.Im buying it for £180 so hopefully it will all be ok

Yeah I'm sure it will be fine. With the headphones though, I think only Apple headphones work with the iPhone (that certainly sounds like Apple anyway!). And remember to take a paperclip or something similar to get the sim card out, it's a real pain otherwise.

Original Poster

Well im hoping he will have a paperclip or a tool , coz he said he was using the phone, so im guessing he will need to remove his sim card too.

I have some ipod touch headphones knocking about somewhere so I can try them - just hope he has something to listen to on there so I can test them.

Banned

charvelj;5296991

Well im hoping he will have a paperclip or a tool , coz he said he was … Well im hoping he will have a paperclip or a tool , coz he said he was using the phone, so im guessing he will need to remove his sim card too. I have some ipod touch headphones knocking about somewhere so I can try them - just hope he has something to listen to on there so I can test them.

Ah okay. You could always listen to a ringtone in settings if he doesn't.

3G versions do not come with the dock

iphone
headphones
USB lead
USB - Mains adapter
Sim card release pin

Banned

ms2005;5298250

3G versions do not come with the dockiphoneheadphonesUSB leadUSB - Mains … 3G versions do not come with the dockiphoneheadphonesUSB leadUSB - Mains adapterSim card release pin

Ah okay my bad. The guy I know who has a 3G iPhone has a different dock to one I got with my 2G iPhone. I noticed this the other day when a group of us were on the train and he had his dock with him for some reason. The 2G one is in the middle on the photo below, and the 3G one is the lower one, so I figured he got it with his 3G iPhone. Doesn't really seem like a dock is worth buying separately.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1451/appledocks.jpg

Don't wanna put a downer on ya but if possible get his details, a mate of mine brought an iphone from gumtree and checked it was working i.e making calls (which it was) the next day the seller rang 02 and said it had been knicked and got it blocked...

Original Poster

bloody hell! thats a bit of a *******

i purchased it off gumtree leeds. I have the guys address and telephone number and ill make a screen shot of the add on gumtree.

Is there anyway to register the device ?

was your friend able to resolve the situation ?

Banned

got my iphone 2g 8gb for £90 fully working order.
happy days.

Original Poster

sweet i got this 3g one for £180 , which i think is a bargain
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet1530
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247624
    3. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…49
    4. The HUKD Wuntu code sharing thread! (Three Mobile)98196

See more discussions