Buying and installing a car stereo - what do I need?

Evening all

So I'm looking to buy and install a new stereo for my car (first time) - what do I need to buy other than the actual stereo? Are they easy to install?

I'm looking at this one from Argos: ebay.co.uk/itm…565?

14 Comments

What car do you have and is it the original stereo in there at the moment? Your best bet is probably YouTube for videos/tutorials on getting the original out and a new one in. You may need an adapter for the wiring, depends what the new one comes with and what the standard for your car's manufacturer is.

Original Poster

morgie

What car do you have and is it the original stereo in there at the … What car do you have and is it the original stereo in there at the moment? Your best bet is probably YouTube for videos/tutorials on getting the original out and a new one in. You may need an adapter for the wiring, depends what the new one comes with and what the standard for your car's manufacturer is.

It's a mitsubishi colt, with the original stereo in it.

Its usually straight forward , sometimes an ISO adaptor cable is needed which can be bought from Halfords but usually a case of removing the old , disconnecting and reconnecting , no need to cut wires etc.

Eden0032

It's a mitsubishi colt, with the original stereo in it.

2004 onward? youtube.com/wat…DPE
Edited by: "morgie" 19th Apr

It can be a pain, check out Halfords as they often have deals , I had a Sony system fitted for less the the different parts needed a few months back...........

Hi , I'm also thinking of upgrading stereo in my Zafira, is it easy to do? TIA

very easy. get a set of keys . these are tools to remove the stereos. ebay or Amazon.
then you will need the iso harness and aerial adapter for your vehicle again ebay or Amazon.
then 15 mins of your time.
old one out new one in . simples

Swapping head unit is easy.
Things can get complicated, when You want to retain steering wheel stalk controls for volume level, next/previous track, source ... And if You have for example rear parking sensors You will loose beeping if You don't have special lead

dynamicsounds.co.uk/con…tml

This one is for Colt. If You're not sure what You need send those guys from DynamicSound email, they'll tell You what You need.
Edited by: "r4t" 19th Apr

You'll need a facia adaptor if the original stereo isn't din sized.

Something like this m.ebay.co.uk/itm…640 obviously do a search and find one in stock
Edited by: "ding" 19th Apr

Original Poster

Thanks for your help everybody!

I used to do this years ago on old cars and had a rest for a good few years until the kids grew up. Trickiest one I did was on the mk6 Ford Fiesta. I wrote a tutorial in the end after my cut fingers had repaired ! My son was well pleased though as the original Ford unit was rubbish.

I bought all my bits and bobs from ebay which included the fascia adapter plate, ISO lead which is specific for the make of stereo and model of car. You may need additional lead for steering wheel volume control if your car has this feature. Good luck and check out other prices first on ebay before you go to Halfords as they are way too expensive for most things although the patch lead for the kenwood volume control was quite reasonable from them if I remember.

Edited by: "Smartguy1" 20th Apr

I know I might be stating the obvious, but you do realise that this stereo doesn't have a CD player? I had a friend brought one and he assumed that the CD player was behind the front panel but this stereo is for radio and USB sticks and phones. Just thought I'd share this.

Original Poster

peter7769

I know I might be stating the obvious, but you do realise that this … I know I might be stating the obvious, but you do realise that this stereo doesn't have a CD player? I had a friend brought one and he assumed that the CD player was behind the front panel but this stereo is for radio and USB sticks and phones. Just thought I'd share this.

Yeah, I know. All of my music is on Spotify so I connect via USB or Aux to listen.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Kodi - £ Sports Recommendations912
    2. Damaged IPad...fixes please45
    3. Tenant rights for failing agreement to replace carpets811
    4. Best IPTV Paid service?1720

See more discussions