Groups

Buying at the airport...can you carry on bulky items?

Although I fly reasonably often I have never bought anything other than a couple of bottles or perfume at an airport. I'm flying through heathrow shortly and was considering buying a quite a bulky camera and also a netbook or a laptop. these will come in big boxes and won't fit in a flight bag. Can you carry these onto a plane in addition to what you already have? I can't recall anyone getting on with a load of stuff at UK airports apart from people with a couple of bottles.

8 Comments

some airports you can collect it when you get back to the UK

Banned

won't fit in a flight bag. Can you carry these onto a plane in addition to what you already have?

No.

Banned

if you bag the laptop and ditch the box it isnt counted(laptop) as a piece of luggage with some airlines.....depends who you fly with

Original Poster

Thanks, I thought so. So it seems you have to ditch the bulk of the packaging (polysterene at least) and get it into your baggage allowance or collect on return..and there is some sort of system for that. I know if i came to sell a (DSLR) camera or a computer later on the original packaging will increase the value of the item.

BlackCloud;7800928

Thanks, I thought so. So it seems you have to ditch the bulk of the … Thanks, I thought so. So it seems you have to ditch the bulk of the packaging (polysterene at least) and get it into your baggage allowance or collect on return..and there is some sort of system for that. I know if i came to sell a (DSLR) camera or a computer later on the original packaging will increase the value of the item.

I always seem to find the items cheaper elsewhere these days. Make sure you do your research on the DSLR prices before you go

bazzaric;7800976

I always seem to find the items cheaper elsewhere these days. Make sure … I always seem to find the items cheaper elsewhere these days. Make sure you do your research on the DSLR prices before you go

+1

Also If it was me I wouldn't ditch the packaging, I'd probs pay the little extra for it all in fact. If its going to be a big saving then have a think about booking another bad on (dependant on the price obv) then put the stuff that was going to be in your hand luggage into there and then the laptop and camera into your hand luggage - probs wouldn't recommend that tho, I'd rather just find it cheap elsewhere

Have a nice trip :thumbsup:

Banned

If you intend buying from Dixons at the airport, dont bother.

Rarely are they any cheapers than can be found online elsewhere

Banned

dcx_badass;7801025

At Leeds Bradford at least I know you can buy on departure and collect on … At Leeds Bradford at least I know you can buy on departure and collect on your return.

Stansted do the same. In fact I seem to remember Dixons will deliver to your home assress on your return. Not much use if you want to use the camera on holiday right enouugh
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?66
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?99
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846240
      4. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News66

See more discussions