Buying board / card games from ebay

Posted 20th Oct
I've been looking to get a copy of Unstable Unicorns for my daughter as part of her 8th birthday presents. Its £18 on amazon, Ebay have a number of copies for around £8, some of the sellers have 1000 + ratings, however some are business sellers based in China / Hong Kong. How can I best protect myself from getting a poor quality fake copy of the game. (Buy from amazon I guess)
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

10 Comments
What's the worst that can happen, you loose £8. Never heard of it but took a punt on one for £7.99 for my offsprings Christmas present.
Protect myself for £8, I wouldn't.

I wouldn't protect myself from risk emotional instability either, perhaps, a possible early discovery of offspring insolence and bully/peer pressure from her "friends" because of "unfriendship" (the father bought a fake game, how-dare-he, for my birthday - the ungrateful child or nasty "friend" syndromes).

On the other hand, game could be genuine, then you are 10 quids in, and/or your child would be thankful and her friends enjoying the game, fake or genuine, demonstrating good nurturing.
Edited by: "splender" 20th Oct
Personally I'm really not in to buying fakes so the way I see it is this, you either take your £18 or so and buy the game from a trusted source such as Amazon, Waterstones, or Forbidden Planet and know that you've got a genuine game, or you take a chance buying a much cheaper copy from eBay knwing that there is a high chance of it not being genuine. However having said that, you have to bear in mind that a) it's a present for an 8 year old who wouldn't know any different if it was fake, b) it's not as if it has any moving parts, power supply, or anything else that could be a health and safety hazard if it's not genuine, and c) even if it was fake it would probably still have exactly the same thing as the original printed on each card. So basically it's up to you, have a think about it and take it from there.
For £8 from China it's about 99% likely it's not genuine. Unstable Unicorns is priced around £20, discounted by 3 or 4 £ at most.

There are almost no consumer laws over there and you'd have no chance of getting your money back.
steve122121/10/2019 07:25

For £8 from China it's about 99% likely it's not genuine. Unstable …For £8 from China it's about 99% likely it's not genuine. Unstable Unicorns is priced around £20, discounted by 3 or 4 £ at most.There are almost no consumer laws over there and you'd have no chance of getting your money back.

That's not quite true. If the OP bought from a Chinese seller on eBay he would have some degree of protection. If when he received the item and saw that it was an obvious fake he could put in a claim with eBay for the goods not being as described in that they are not genuine.
In what way do you want to protect yourself? For £8 it will be a fake, but because it's through eBay you could get your money back, but if you don't want to go through that just buy it from a reputable retailer.
Avoid the cheap cheap offers most likely fake. Weve been stung before so just avoid ebay
Well I took the plunge and bought from a UK seller on eBay for the same kind of price mentioned in the OP's post. Here are some pictures of the set I received, I have to say for the price I paid I'm happy with what I've got. Is it a copy? I don't know, it doesn't really bother me if it is seeing as I was able to pick it up cheaply.

38744877.jpg

38744877.jpg

38744877.jpg

38744877.jpg
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 24th Oct
Also received my £7.99 version. Box is slightly different to the above pictures but I'm sure the game is the same. My eBay purchases now's shows the listing as "removed item" so must be dodgy.

Now for the game I have no clue how to play it. Instructions aren't very clear and I'm a 35 year old intellectual, not sure how my 9 year old is going to play it.
I still haven't ordered a copy yet, looking forward to playing it with my 7 yr old, it's an 8th bday present, she's already a demon when we play goat lords 😁
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants