Buying cheap things from china/hongkong on ebay - duty and tax question....

Found 24th Sep 2012
Hi, I've read this hmrc.gov.uk/cus…htm about buying something from outside the eu on ebay, just wanted to check if I have understood it correctly:

I will not have to pay any tax/import vat/ customs chargers if what I buy is worth less than £15?

And if that's correct then how will they know? I'm not trying to dodge import tax, I just don't want to have to pay any charges for them just to open something up and check the value if you know what I mean?

Thanks
Community Updates
MiscCall Of Duty
6 Comments
Banned
Value of the goods is shown on the outside of the package.
Original Poster
dunfyboy

Value of the goods is shown on the outside of the package.

And they seem to open parcels anyway to check, otherwise people would just put £5 on everything and avoid any tax, so if they stop your parcel, check and it's legit under £15 would you get charged handling fee's for that?
Most Chinese sellers put a low value on the package. If your item has a value of less than £15, you've nothing to worry about and won't pay anything. If it's not and the seller declares the correct value, then there's a good charge you'll pay VAT + £8 royal mail handling charge.
Banned
A lot of suppliers from China/HK under-declare the value so they can cheat the system and drum up more trade from the UK, that's why they open up items even if the value is shown as under £15.

The handling fee isn't charged by Customs. It's charged by Royal Mail/UPS etc for collecting the duty on behalf of Customs. If there's no duty to pay, there's no handling charge.
Original Poster
oldmanhouse

Most Chinese sellers put a low value on the package. If your item has a … Most Chinese sellers put a low value on the package. If your item has a value of less than £15, you've nothing to worry about and won't pay anything. If it's not and the seller declares the correct value, then there's a good charge you'll pay VAT + £8 royal mail handling charge.

dunfyboy

A lot of suppliers from China/HK under-declare the value so they can … A lot of suppliers from China/HK under-declare the value so they can cheat the system and drum up more trade from the UK, that's why they open up items even if the value is shown as under £15.The handling fee isn't charged by Customs. It's charged by Royal Mail/UPS etc for collecting the duty on behalf of Customs. If there's no duty to pay, there's no handling charge.

Brilliant, thanks for your help, I should have no problems then.
Banned
oldmanhouse

Most Chinese sellers put a low value on the package. If your item has a … Most Chinese sellers put a low value on the package. If your item has a value of less than £15, you've nothing to worry about and won't pay anything. If it's not and the seller declares the correct value, then there's a good charge you'll pay VAT + £8 royal mail handling charge.

dunfyboy

A lot of suppliers from China/HK under-declare the value so they can … A lot of suppliers from China/HK under-declare the value so they can cheat the system and drum up more trade from the UK, that's why they open up items even if the value is shown as under £15.The handling fee isn't charged by Customs. It's charged by Royal Mail/UPS etc for collecting the duty on behalf of Customs. If there's no duty to pay, there's no handling charge.

If you purchased in bulk you would get charged duty
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions