Buying Cryptocurrency

Found 24th Dec 2017Edited by:"YouMuppet"
Hi, I’ve been trying to jump on the XRP ship for a week now, yes I know it’s not at the lowest price but I’ve been researching so much but can’t seem to buy it still.

So far I only have a Coinbase account so I can possibly exchange some LTC or ETH for XRP somewhere without needing verification?
I’m still waiting to be verified on Bitstamp but it seems to be taking ages because of all the hype right now.
I’ve heard someare not even accepting new sign ups.

any help would be appreciated as I have no idea as of now.
Community Updates
Ask
65 Comments
Whilst this won’t help with your posted problem, I urge you only to invest what you are prepared to lose. Various Governments are currently looking at the possibility of banning crypto currencies which means they will be worth nothing as you won’t be able to change them for cash.
cmdr_elito23 m ago

Whilst this won’t help with your posted problem, I urge you only to invest …Whilst this won’t help with your posted problem, I urge you only to invest what you are prepared to lose. Various Governments are currently looking at the possibility of banning crypto currencies which means they will be worth nothing as you won’t be able to change them for cash.

Hi, thanks for the heads up, yes my investment will be very minimal
I used Kraken to purchase mine, you will need to be patient with the site as you will see the cloud flare page more often than not.

You could also try GateHub, I was going to move mine there and keep my BTC and LTC at CoinBase.
I have to admit I don't understand this bitcoin thing at all. I've lived long enough to see boom and bust a couple of times now. I can only see it ending in tears. I'm glad you are not thinking of putting all your eggs in one basket. Wish you all the best in your endeavour
On Friday you could buy BITcoin easy enough - It was selling that was the problem as the value dropped by 30% , lots of sellers - very few buyers . That's the problem with an immature , volatile gamble - you are unable to get out of it when you want to .
Edited by: "rogparki" 24th Dec 2017
cmdr_elito58 m ago

Whilst this won’t help with your posted problem, I urge you only to invest …Whilst this won’t help with your posted problem, I urge you only to invest what you are prepared to lose. Various Governments are currently looking at the possibility of banning crypto currencies which means they will be worth nothing as you won’t be able to change them for cash.

How can you ban something that doesn’t really exist? It’s worth is not what any government sets it’s not a physical thing and it can’t be controlled because it’s not centralised.
rogparki7 m ago

On Friday you could buy BITcoin easy enough - It was selling that was the …On Friday you could buy BITcoin easy enough - It was selling that was the problem as the value dropped by 30% , lots of sellers - very few buyers . That's the problem with an immature , volatile gamble - you are unable to get out of it when you want to .

This is what happens in any crash, it’s basically like the stock market.

Difference between stock market and crypto is that there is no one there to stabilise the market in a crisis.

The time to buy btc was about 2-3 years ago. Anyone buying it now is simply a fool. With the amount of new crypto currencies being developed now it’s unlikely any will see the values that bitcoin had and with the effective bust you have going on now it’ll make everyone far more cautious too, limiting demand keeping values lower. Invest at your own peril.
Dannyrobbo9 m ago

How can you ban something that doesn’t really exist? It’s worth is not wha …How can you ban something that doesn’t really exist? It’s worth is not what any government sets it’s not a physical thing and it can’t be controlled because it’s not centralised.

They can stop it being traded to real cash very easily. Once that happens it’s worthless.
It’s like saying bitcoin is worth £60,000 but you can’t change it into money or goods, that means bitcoin is not worth a thing as you can’t buy or sell it with real cash and then the attraction disappears for everyone.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 24th Dec 2017
Thanks for the answers guys, I’m looking to buy XRP (ripple) and not Bitcoin, I already have some LTC and ETH on Coinbase.

Wether this gets somewhere or fails miserably I’ve only invested a very small amount as I’m new to this and still getting my head around it all.

I think I might have found out how to exchange ETH to XRP on Binanace after transferring the ETH from Coinbase, after the XRP is in my Binance account which wallet would be best to keep it in? Preferably online or app based.
I’ve read that you shouldn’t keep it in an exchange.
Edited by: "YouMuppet" 24th Dec 2017
cmdr_elito22 m ago

They can stop it being traded to real cash very easily. Once that happens …They can stop it being traded to real cash very easily. Once that happens it’s worthless.It’s like saying bitcoin is worth £60,000 but you can’t change it into money or goods, that means bitcoin is not worth a thing as you can’t buy or sell it with real cash and then the attraction disappears for everyone.

You tell me the process where cash could be stopped from being processed online?
YouMuppet28 m ago

Thanks for the answers guys, I’m looking to buy XRP (ripple) and not B …Thanks for the answers guys, I’m looking to buy XRP (ripple) and not Bitcoin, I already have some LTC and ETH on Coinbase.Wether this gets somewhere or fails miserably I’ve only invested a very small amount as I’m new to this and still getting my head around it all.I think I might have found out how to exchange ETH to XRP on Binanace after transferring the ETH from Coinbase, after the XRP is in my Binance account which wallet would be best to keep it in? Preferably online or app based. I’ve read that you shouldn’t keep it in an exchange.

You can get it really easy.

Download evercoin and toast on your phone. Transfer LTC to evercoin to buy XRP and send it to your toast wallet.

DM if you get stuck
Well for a start if all the major countries banned it from being traded, exchanges would be unable to process card payments/bank transfers as banks would be prohibited from making payments or taking payments from accounts linked to exchanges or face hefty fines if so desired by the various governments, similar to how economic sanctions work. This then cuts off/reduces the money flow, devaluing the crypto currency further again making it worthless. Crypto is only worth money if it can be exchanged for real cash or goods/services (who will only accept it if it can be exchanged for cash), if that ability to exchange/trade it for real cash (£,€,$ etc) is hindered in any way by governments then it will ruin the value of it. This is how economics works.
cmdr_elito21 m ago

Well for a start if all the major countries banned it from being traded, …Well for a start if all the major countries banned it from being traded, exchanges would be unable to process card payments/bank transfers as banks would be prohibited from making payments or taking payments from accounts linked to exchanges or face hefty fines if so desired by the various governments, similar to how economic sanctions work. This then cuts off/reduces the money flow, devaluing the crypto currency further again making it worthless. Crypto is only worth money if it can be exchanged for real cash or goods/services (who will only accept it if it can be exchanged for cash), if that ability to exchange/trade it for real cash (£,€,$ etc) is hindered in any way by governments then it will ruin the value of it. This is how economics works.

You fail to grasp the internet though there are so many ways to process the money and if it’s banned in the UK then another country will process it or via another method. China have banned bitcoin but it’s made no difference if they wanted to buy or sell it, or to the price long term.
djdanj8934 m ago

You can get it really easy.Download evercoin and toast on your phone. …You can get it really easy.Download evercoin and toast on your phone. Transfer LTC to evercoin to buy XRP and send it to your toast wallet.DM if you get stuck

Hi, sorry for the noob question but once they’re in the wallet (app) what happens if you lose your phone or it gets wiped? Are they to view elsewhere such as the website version of the wallet
Use kraken, cheaper than coinbase.

I would look at other coins. Ripple has increased a lot and will more than likely stay steady for a while.

I'm sure you can purchase Ripple on kraken as well. Just remember it takes time registering as you need to provide ID etc but it's cheaper than coinbase.
Edited by: "MrMan2011" 24th Dec 2017
MrMan201112 m ago

Use kraken, cheaper than coinbase. I would look at other coins. Ripple has …Use kraken, cheaper than coinbase. I would look at other coins. Ripple has increased a lot and will more than likely stay steady for a while.I'm sure you can purchase Ripple on kraken as well. Just remember it takes time registering as you need to provide ID etc but it's cheaper than coinbase.

My account is still being verified on Kraken, it seems to get error a lot for me too for some reason, probably all the traffic.
Coinbase for the ease of use but it only has 3 coins.

What coins do you have? I thought about getting some IOTA, I have ETH & LTC so far but XRP very soon.
YouMuppet14 m ago

My account is still being verified on Kraken, it seems to get error a lot …My account is still being verified on Kraken, it seems to get error a lot for me too for some reason, probably all the traffic.Coinbase for the ease of use but it only has 3 coins.What coins do you have? I thought about getting some IOTA, I have ETH & LTC so far but XRP very soon.

Chocolate coins, can't go wrong with those
MR112314 m ago

Chocolate coins, can't go wrong with those

Of course! that goes without saying
Okay, just managed to got some ripple from Binance, now need a wallet, right
YouMuppet33 m ago

My account is still being verified on Kraken, it seems to get error a lot …My account is still being verified on Kraken, it seems to get error a lot for me too for some reason, probably all the traffic.Coinbase for the ease of use but it only has 3 coins.What coins do you have? I thought about getting some IOTA, I have ETH & LTC so far but XRP very soon.

I've got LTC holding till after new years. Apparently there is speculation in January that Facebook may accept LTC as a payment method. This could be a rumour.

Hope you bought the ETH and LTC during the dip.

I remember when Iota was 40p I was new then and didn't know how to purchase it etc then it shot up -_-.

I'm holding Bitshares, LTC and Vechain currently.
If you have some spare money Get EOS if under £6 that will go up soon once the market is OK.

Just my opinion ^^ Check history
MrMan201111 m ago

I've got LTC holding till after new years. Apparently there is speculation …I've got LTC holding till after new years. Apparently there is speculation in January that Facebook may accept LTC as a payment method. This could be a rumour. Hope you bought the ETH and LTC during the dip. I remember when Iota was 40p I was new then and didn't know how to purchase it etc then it shot up -_-. I'm holding Bitshares, LTC and Vechain currently.

I’m very new to this and definitely didn’t get the best prices but I’ve gaind some experience and know what to do in the future when I want to buy.

I’ve been painfully watching the price of ripple shoot up over the past couple of weeks without knowing how to actually buy some, it was around 0.50 when I wanted to actually buy some and it pretty much doubled thata few days ago.
MrMan201110 m ago

If you have some spare money Get EOS if under £6 that will go up soon once …If you have some spare money Get EOS if under £6 that will go up soon once the market is OK. Just my opinion ^^ Check history

Cheers I’ll have a look, where do you keep your coins after buying from an exchange
YouMuppet3 m ago

I’m very new to this and definitely didn’t get the best prices but I’ve gai …I’m very new to this and definitely didn’t get the best prices but I’ve gaind some experience and know what to do in the future when I want to buy.I’ve been painfully watching the price of ripple shoot up over the past couple of weeks without knowing how to actually buy some, it was around 0.50 when I wanted to actually buy some and it pretty much doubled thata few days ago.

Look at market cap as well to judge if a coin increases how much it can increase (may not make sense) along with market supply to see if a coin will go up along with research on a coin.

I'm still a noob as well and learning.
YouMuppet2 m ago

Cheers I’ll have a look, where do you keep your coins after buying from an …Cheers I’ll have a look, where do you keep your coins after buying from an exchange

I should really put them on a wallet but I've kept them on the exchange which is a bad idea.

Haven't messed around with wallets too much. Maybe when my portfolio goes up someday
Dannyrobbo1 h, 56 m ago

You fail to grasp the internet though there are so many ways to process …You fail to grasp the internet though there are so many ways to process the money and if it’s banned in the UK then another country will process it or via another method. China have banned bitcoin but it’s made no difference if they wanted to buy or sell it, or to the price long term.

I do have a good grasp of the internet. If something is mainstream and accessible it can grow to big heights like 30-60k for a bitcoin but if mainstream banks, investment banks snub it because governments ban them from using it or facilitating payments for it, it moves it underground where far fewer people will invest limiting its value, again therefore making it worthless.

Yes there are plenty of other payment mechanisms but your missing the point, the way these currencies grow in value is by demand outstripping supply, the harder you make it for people to invest the less likely they will invest, which means demand falls and so does the value, with crypto currencies supply only ever keeps increasing as they are mined/farmed etc therefore also diminishing the value further.

Additionally there are more and more crypto currencies emerging which is diluting the demand across a larger base so in a restricted demand environment with all the afore mentioned factors these would all be pretty much worthless.

I mean if I was doing a 30k bank transfer or payment I wouldn’t want to do via some non mainstream bank/payment mechanism and if I wouldn’t do that then there will be plenty of others that would now (prior to the crash perhaps) have invested via a mainstream payment option that wouldn’t if that security was taken away.

Anyway that’s the last I have to say on that so hope you have a happy Christmas and hope you continue to make money on crypto but just watch out because they may one day pull the plug on it all so only invest what your willing to lose.

Ps with China banning it, won’t make much difference because they all trade internationally in dollars, euros and pounds.
I brought ripple when it was 0.019.

Get a hardware wallet such as Ledger
WesD841 h, 9 m ago

I brought ripple when it was 0.019.Get a hardware wallet such as Ledger

Nice! When was that
If you don’t know what your doing it will be difficult...
Like people have mentioned be ready to only invest what you can afford to lose.
Once your investments increase then get a nano ledger as mentioned but they are roughly £70-£80.
I brought XRP a few weeks ago,
Basically I had LTC in my Coinbase wallet... transferred abit into BTC.
The reason being exchanging BTC to XRP is the easiest at present.
Then using GDAX which is part of coinbase I transferred my BTC to that account. Quick and simple and because it’s linked to coinbase verification is sorted.
Now you need to make a binance account,,, the good thing is without verification you can still deposit and withdraw up to a max of 2 BTC which is a lot.
Anyway after transferring the BTC from gdax to binance you can then exchange on their platform to XRP.
Now you need a wallet for the XRP....
Most wallets like Toasts wallet on IOS do the job however they require a minimum of 20XRP to be activated and remain constantly in that wallet.
If you get stuck there are YouTube tutorials which help.
Next year XRP will hit £1.50 and continue... just be patient
Just buy using revolut app.

Invite 3 ffriends to unlock the feature, or sign up for the premium feature at £7.99 per month but they tie you in to a 12 months contract (first months free) - not sure if you're able to cancel within 14 days free of charge though
K4lvin4 m ago

If you don’t know what your doing it will be difficult...Like people have m …If you don’t know what your doing it will be difficult...Like people have mentioned be ready to only invest what you can afford to lose.Once your investments increase then get a nano ledger as mentioned but they are roughly £70-£80.I brought XRP a few weeks ago, Basically I had LTC in my Coinbase wallet... transferred abit into BTC.The reason being exchanging BTC to XRP is the easiest at present.Then using GDAX which is part of coinbase I transferred my BTC to that account. Quick and simple and because it’s linked to coinbase verification is sorted.Now you need to make a binance account,,, the good thing is without verification you can still deposit and withdraw up to a max of 2 BTC which is a lot.Anyway after transferring the BTC from gdax to binance you can then exchange on their platform to XRP.Now you need a wallet for the XRP....Most wallets like Toasts wallet on IOS do the job however they require a minimum of 20XRP to be activated and remain constantly in that wallet.If you get stuck there are YouTube tutorials which help. Next year XRP will hit £1.50 and continue... just be patient

I’ve heard it’ll reach that too
When do you know when to cash out? Would you actually cash out when it reaches a high or still leave it there for another wave?
Up to your own preference. With cryptocurrency there is a lot of risk.... just like how the bubble with bitcoin and how it causing correction forced the other altcoins to correct, bitcoin will go down to 5-7k before making that steady rise again.
All I can say XRP has potential, it is projecting out to banks, banks are testing it for faster transactions. Maybe in a few years it may be worth a lot more than now.... only time will tell.
All I can say is when you have made profit and are happy with it knowing it’s hit a high for the time being then cash out.
For me this is a long term investment, I managed to buy cheap so losing it wouldn’t make too much of an issue, especially when I luckily jumped on the LTC bandwagon when it was at £49.
Am not an expert in this but I trade in my spare time hence why I know a little. Hope it helps
K4lvin3 m ago

Up to your own preference. With cryptocurrency there is a lot of risk.... …Up to your own preference. With cryptocurrency there is a lot of risk.... just like how the bubble with bitcoin and how it causing correction forced the other altcoins to correct, bitcoin will go down to 5-7k before making that steady rise again.All I can say XRP has potential, it is projecting out to banks, banks are testing it for faster transactions. Maybe in a few years it may be worth a lot more than now.... only time will tell.All I can say is when you have made profit and are happy with it knowing it’s hit a high for the time being then cash out.For me this is a long term investment, I managed to buy cheap so losing it wouldn’t make too much of an issue, especially when I luckily jumped on the LTC bandwagon when it was at £49. Am not an expert in this but I trade in my spare time hence why I know a little. Hope it helps

Cheers, what you’ve said about XRP pretty much echos what I’ve heard about it.
I dont have much invested so I think I will be holding it long term.
Dannyrobbo12 h, 35 m ago

How can you ban something that doesn’t really exist? It’s worth is not wha …How can you ban something that doesn’t really exist? It’s worth is not what any government sets it’s not a physical thing and it can’t be controlled because it’s not centralised.

You can ban the market place for it, you can stop it being traded in a jurisdiction
There are so many crypto currencies . How would I find out how much each cost ? Any help, please ?
jamkhan19 m ago

There are so many crypto currencies . How would I find out how much each …There are so many crypto currencies . How would I find out how much each cost ? Any help, please ?

Download coin market cap app on your mobile.

Remember there are alot of scam and useless coins

Market is very volitile as well. Remember to hodl
Edited by: "MrMan2011" 25th Dec 2017
ibblackberry12 h, 25 m ago

You can ban the market place for it, you can stop it being traded in a …You can ban the market place for it, you can stop it being traded in a jurisdiction

In the UK you can but I can just buy it else where. It’s not possible to ban it, I’m not disputing the hit on price that this would have. There is no chance of the US or the West banning it anyway there’s money to be made eventually in tax dollars when they get their hands on regulating it.
MrMan20114 h, 16 m ago

Download coin market cap app on your mobile. Remember there are alot of …Download coin market cap app on your mobile. Remember there are alot of scam and useless coinsMarket is very volitile as well. Remember to hodl

Thank you for replying back
Apparently ripple could be on Coinbase soon and the price will shoot up
YouMuppet38 m ago

Apparently ripple could be on Coinbase soon and the price will shoot up

Apparently monero was supposed to

Either way what ever gets on there will shoot up loads as coinbase is so popular.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants