Buying directly through PayPal

Posted 15th Dec 2019
obviously everything comes with risks but if I buy a mobile phone from someone outside of eBay and they invoice me directly through PayPal/I pay using PayPal am I covered at all if the item doesn't turn up, is faulty, poor condition etc etc?

Stephen
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
If you send the payment as goods or services you should be covered for standard things as usual
Yes but you are not covered if you send payment as Friends & Family. Be careful as a lot of sellers stipulate this outside of eBay as they save on fees.
Thanks guys, the seller clearly wants to save on fees but wants it paying directly to a bank but that seems well dodgy so I've suggested PayPal to give me some protection
Hammerheads2915/12/2019 23:31

Thanks guys, the seller clearly wants to save on fees but wants it paying …Thanks guys, the seller clearly wants to save on fees but wants it paying directly to a bank but that seems well dodgy so I've suggested PayPal to give me some protection

If he says no to PayPal using goods or services tell him that you are not paying. It’s not worth the risk if you can’t cover yourself if anything goes wrong
If he wants it as a bank transfer it’s most likely either blocked from it being on a contract and it not being paid or there is a fault which has not been mentioned
If he doesn’t want to do it through eBay because of the seller fees tell him to put it on Shpock with the option to buy via PayPal and then your covered and he doesn’t have to pay a sellers fee
Arto15/12/2019 23:35

If he wants it as a bank transfer it’s most likely either blocked from it b …If he wants it as a bank transfer it’s most likely either blocked from it being on a contract and it not being paid or there is a fault which has not been mentioned

I would tend to agree, I smell a rat although to be true the eBay advert I initially responded to said collection only so I guess in that scenario it may be legit. I dunno.
ebay fees are £1.
paypal fees will still apply so he is hardly making a saving hmm
Bank transfer you will never get anything back and Paypal is subject to chargeback, either method is risky so the answer is NO. If you cant see the phone and test it DONT buy it. so much could be wrong. I only buy when I can collect and check.
Hammerheads2915/12/2019 23:39

I would tend to agree, I smell a rat although to be true the eBay advert I …I would tend to agree, I smell a rat although to be true the eBay advert I initially responded to said collection only so I guess in that scenario it may be legit. I dunno.

From the other side - I’m selling an iPhone, it’s not stolen or blocked and works perfectly fine but I won’t accept PayPal for it. It’s too easy for a buyer to claim it doesn’t work and then PayPal usually side with them and you don’t get the cash or the phone back. So for me it’s balance transfer or cash on collection only.

So as a buyer, PayPal hoods suits you more than the seller.. otherwise, you’d be better off buying a phone you can see in person and hand over the cash if you are happy with it.
Edited by: "bluep" 16th Dec 2019
bluep16/12/2019 06:29

From the other side - I’m selling an iPhone, it’s not stolen or blocked and …From the other side - I’m selling an iPhone, it’s not stolen or blocked and works perfectly fine but I won’t accept PayPal for it. It’s too easy for a buyer to claim it doesn’t work and then PayPal usually side with them and you don’t get the cash or the phone back. So for me it’s balance transfer or cash on collection only. So as a buyer, PayPal hoods suits you more than the seller.. otherwise, you’d be better off buying a phone you can see in person and hand over the cash if you are happy with it.

Totally agree though this guy is a 3 hour 20 drive away so just not worth it
I’d just buy elsewhere save yourself a lot of hassle, if you’re on Facebook look for a page called iPhone Doctor, he’s selling quite a few phones & has a fantastic reputation, not sure if he’ll post but it’s always worth asking, that’s if you’re interested in iPhones
Only pay with protection from PayPal if he invoices you it will be protected. I once made the mistake of sending a bank transfer and lost my money it’s just not worth the risk
yes 1 paid 300+ for a phone that never arrived. as seller had no proof of postage i got my money back , ok
Do yourself a favour and only buy second hand mobiles from reputable sellers like Cex, MusicMagpie etc.. as you'll get some warranty if they were ever to get blocked etc.. So many risks involved when buying second hand mobiles.
Arto15/12/2019 23:35

If he wants it as a bank transfer it’s most likely either blocked from it b …If he wants it as a bank transfer it’s most likely either blocked from it being on a contract and it not being paid or there is a fault which has not been mentioned

If the phone is for delivery and not collection in person, its more likely its a scam/hacked account. You will not recieve a phone and wont get your money back
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions