Buying dryers

Posted 24th Feb
hi I m looking to buy dryer first time.
what to look out for so it doesn't explode lol.
different types and cost effectiveness etc
we have washing machine fairly new, old house had no space for dryer.

thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
2 types generally, condensor (which has a tank to collect the water as well as being able to drain the water directly outside/sink etc. the other type is vented where the heat is vented outside. you'll need to be ideally next to an outside wall for the vent to go out)

ive always had condensors and dryers used to be expensive but they are very economical now. wouldnt be without one now.
I highly recommend spending the extra and getting a heat pump one to keep your electricity bills down. I bought the Samsung DV80K6010CW Heat Pump Tumble Dryer from AO last year and it’s been fantastic.
seabs24/02/2020 16:56

I highly recommend spending the extra and getting a heat pump one to keep …I highly recommend spending the extra and getting a heat pump one to keep your electricity bills down. I bought the Samsung DV80K6010CW Heat Pump Tumble Dryer from AO last year and it’s been fantastic.

What's the difference between heat pump and above two mentioned one
EN1GMA24/02/2020 16:30

2 types generally, condensor (which has a tank to collect the water as …2 types generally, condensor (which has a tank to collect the water as well as being able to drain the water directly outside/sink etc. the other type is vented where the heat is vented outside. you'll need to be ideally next to an outside wall for the vent to go out)ive always had condensors and dryers used to be expensive but they are very economical now. wouldnt be without one now.

That's great
Condenser collects water so u remove it or make arrangements for it drain out.

Dryer take heat our via air vent.

Which one is better generally?
Heat pump is expensive and not remotely cost effective compared to a Condenser which does all you need.

The tech that saves money is the SENSOR. Never EVER buy a dryer that is controlled by a timer. The dryer needs to use a sensor to judge when the contents of the drum have reached a suitable level of dryness. So bone dry for towels and the like if you have no airing cupboard and slightly damp (hand dry on our miele) for items to be ironed. A good dryer will also stop clothes shrinking by over drying

Simples.
Edited by: "ccnp" 24th Feb
^^THIS ^^
e4u36924/02/2020 17:00

That's great Condenser collects water so u remove it or make arrangements …That's great Condenser collects water so u remove it or make arrangements for it drain out.Dryer take heat our via air vent.Which one is better generally?

I've always had condenser. Been very happy. Condenser you can put anywhere if you're going to use the tank. Very flexible.

When I first got one, thought bills would shoot up. But realistically, think mine costs about £50 for the year to run. And it gets a good work out
+1 for the condenser dryer, you can place it anywhere, the ‘tank’ is a long thin pull out water container drawer that collects the water vapour and converts it back into water. Some dryers have a warning light that comes on when the tank is full and needs emptying, but I just make it my routine that after every 2-3 loads I empty it for maximum efficiency.
the condenser itself needs regular cleaning (running under a tap) but again a warning light should be available.
This type of tumble dryer is a plug and go machine, rather than a vented dryer that needs a hole made in the wall to the outside, or a length of air duct piping poked through an open window.
You soon learn how long things take to dry
39975709-GhCOZ.jpg
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 24th Feb
Ours is in the garage so can utilise a vent through the outside wall. This meanscI can get the cheapest type of dryer. Ours costs 10p to 15p a load to dry. Can't use a 'heat pump' in cold places like our garage. I have read that heat pump tumble dryers very rarely save enough to pay for the price difference and take longer too. So go for vented if you can or a condenser. Our 7kg Indeset is 'B' rated and cost £148 on an eBay 20% off event last year and replace an 18 year old Candy one that was still working but too small for out 10kg washer.
yorkie1224/02/2020 19:47

Ours is in the garage so can utilise a vent through the outside wall. This …Ours is in the garage so can utilise a vent through the outside wall. This meanscI can get the cheapest type of dryer. Ours costs 10p to 15p a load to dry. Can't use a 'heat pump' in cold places like our garage. I have read that heat pump tumble dryers very rarely save enough to pay for the price difference and take longer too. So go for vented if you can or a condenser. Our 7kg Indeset is 'B' rated and cost £148 on an eBay 20% off event last year and replace an 18 year old Candy one that was still working but too small for out 10kg washer.

I paid £300 for my Beko heat pump dryer. It takes 2 hours to dry a full load and uses half the energy. Ok it may or may not recoup the extra outlay but heat pump dryers are much safer than vented or condenser dryers etc.. They're also much kinder to your clothes. I use mine daily.
Thank you everyone
Great information n support
Avoid Hotpoint/Indesit in general. The Heat Pump models are A++ or A+++ so will save you electricity, but they are more complex so more to go wrong and they don't like operating in cold environments. Condenser are mainly B rated but cheaper to buy. Personally, I'd be happy with one that doesn't tie my sheets in knots, haven't found it yet no matter what I pay!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants