Buying EU plug appliances in the UK?

Posted 7th Jul
Hi all. We're relocating from UK to Germany for work in a few months and our hoover has packed up. Does anybody of know of anywhere online where I can buy EU plug appliances in the UK?
Community Updates
Buying From Abroad
12 Comments
order from EU site on amazon
I was looking at this recently as we bought something from Amazon UK which turned up as a French model with all the paperwork in French, all the buttons marked in French, and an EU plug.

So was looking at it, and sure I saw it's actually illegal for a UK site to sell stuff without a UK plug?
Not all 'EU plugs' are the same. In Germany for instance they use Schuko sockets (Type F) in France they use Type E.
(But not always) Some EU countries of course us the 'British style Type G plugs, sometimes it's more complicated than that.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 7th Jul
You can buy from any of the Amazon EU sites, just fit one of these whilst using it in the UK. cpc.farnell.com/pow…ugs
alg07/07/2020 15:33

I was looking at this recently as we bought something from Amazon UK which …I was looking at this recently as we bought something from Amazon UK which turned up as a French model with all the paperwork in French, all the buttons marked in French, and an EU plug.So was looking at it, and sure I saw it's actually illegal for a UK site to sell stuff without a UK plug?

Yes it is illegal to supply an appliance with an EU plug in the UK, lots of manufacturers use EU plugs and just fit an adaptor for the UK market, i've had few Sony products like that.
What type of domestic products ? Why to buy from UK when you can buy them there and you don't have to pay for the shipping.
Why not keeping the appliances you already have ? or maybe you search for a reason to buy new ?
TobyZ07/07/2020 16:30

What type of domestic products ? Why to buy from UK when you can buy them …What type of domestic products ? Why to buy from UK when you can buy them there and you don't have to pay for the shipping.

I thought that, then I thought they probably need a vaccuum cleaner in the few months leading up to it and don't want to buy twice.
Maybe you already have a "kettle lead" with F/E plug; remove its IEC connector (typically C13) and replace the cable of an UK extension lead. Then you have an extension lead: UK socket, EU plug.
Or you just buy some plugs and replace them: uk.rs-online.com/web…n=1
As long as you don't mess up the ground (to consider it a line and vice-versa) it's a simple process.

Search for more free "kettle leads" (people throw them away) with F/E plugs one end and IEC:
- C13 for internal PSU or external PSU which requires ground
- C5 (Mickey mouse) for external PSU of laptops in general
- C7 (figure of 8 ) when no ground is used: external phone chargers, low power equipment.
When we lived in Belgium & then in Germany we just changed the UK 3-pin plug for the European 2-pin plug for all our electrics. Then changed them back again when we moved back to the UK.
Post a comment
@
    Text