Buying from China and paying import duty

Found 2nd Dec 2012
I'm looking at this :
dealsprime.com/pip…spx

I've bought from dealextreme before but it's always been much lower amounts and have never paid import duty before.

I don't mind paying it in this case so what are the steps to importing goods from abroad and how much extra will it cost me?

21 Comments

Calculation results
Edit
Total customs value: £68.68
- Duty: £0.00
- VAT: £13.74
Total import duty & taxes due: £13.74 + Courier Fee
Total landed cost: £82.42 at USD/GBP exchange rate of 0.6244
Calculation notes
Notes on duty & taxes rates

Tablet Pc 7" is duty free and has a VAT rate of 20% .

Notes on import taxes due

Please note, to ensure accurate duty and VAT results, all shipping charges must be declared.
Please note, any insurance charges need to be declared to ensure accurate duty and VAT results.
Please note that your shipping provider may add an additional handling fee

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

I got that from above, you have to add in the shipping cost so not sure what that will be, so probably alllow an extra £10 + £8 royal mail fee on the above calculation

Edited by: "deanos" 2nd Dec 2012

Original Poster

Thanks Deanos but where or how do I pay it?

Banned

sorry to ask but why do you want to buy from another country these items are most problematic items if something goes wrong you will never get fixed in the UK , you can find similar speck item in the UK similar prices and you will have warranty

Original Poster

I know the pitfalls Alex but I don't know the steps to importing.

Who do I inform or do I wait on customs finding my parcel and charging me?

Banned

there is few ways to do it , if you tell them to send via DHL or UPS once goods hits to UK they will call you for the tax and import duty ,if they send with normal delivery you will need to go to post office and pay these fees after that you can get your item with in 2-3 days time both ways you will get your item , if you do not have any account with any courier company if you have account with them they will bring your goods to your door step and take all fees from your credit card , if you need further help send me msg

Banned

good one lamMT

You may find it gets delivered without any customs intervention. I'd just wait and see.

Banned

if the sender selected item as a gift John52 might be right but i wont recommend to sit and wait , you need to check tracking all the time

alex1907london

if the sender selected item as a gift John52 might be right but i wont … if the sender selected item as a gift John52 might be right but i wont recommend to sit and wait , you need to check tracking all the time

I have had lot's delivered over the allowance and not been charged. It's the luck of the draw. Sometimes it's checked, other times it's not. john52 is correct in what he says. oO

Banned

its not luck of draw actually , depending of value of the item and where the item comes from also what the item is

have it sent by courier and have it marked as a gift.

Chances are you will avoid customs altogether.

On a side note I'd be expecting a better tab for the price. For a few $ more you should be able to get a 1280x800 screen with 16gb storage. I managed to bag a Ramos W28 for $116 on offer, they had them (first 5) at $105 but my F5 skills weren't good enough to bag one at that price.

GlentoranMark

Thanks Deanos but where or how do I pay it?

you don't pay anything yet, it will probably get through ok with no charges , if not royal mail or courier will issue you with a bill

Banned

i can find one for him its not a big deal

Tis going to end in tears...

Original Poster

Thanks guys, I'm not ready to purchase atm but will be during the week.

Banned

:)) whenever you ready

alex1907london

its not luck of draw actually , depending of value of the item and where … its not luck of draw actually , depending of value of the item and where the item comes from also what the item is

I have ordered DVD's from the same company in the USA. Some get through no charge, some get checked and I pay. All have been over the limit. So it is luck of the draw.

Banned

HMRC might be so busy to come to you

hmrc.gov.uk/cus…htm
Post a comment
@
    Text