Buying from Gumtree, is it unreasonable to only collect from their house?

Found 21st Dec 2012
Hello

Happy end of the world day!!

and on to a more grounded issue, I am trying to purchase something off Gumtree for £150...

The seller wont meet me at their address and just keeps saying he will come to me or meet in a public place....

Am I being unresonable to say no, as I always felt you need to have some comeback if the product in not as stated

Top comments

Always best to meet people on a dark industrial estate at around 2-4am.

Edited by: "spaceinvader" 21st Dec 2012
28 Comments

I wouldnt buy anything from gumtree for more than 10 quid. But thats just me.

Always best to meet people on a dark industrial estate at around 2-4am.

Edited by: "spaceinvader" 21st Dec 2012

Seller can do as they please, it's their item. X)

Banned

How is your wife op?

Just leave the item better safe than sorry.

I personally would not as you have no come back if the item is not as described.

Would you want some twonk to come to your house, knowing full well you could be casing the joint, noting your points of entries, eying up your junk. They might be fit though so stock up on chloroform.

conquest666

I personally would not as you have no come back if the item is not as … I personally would not as you have no come back if the item is not as described.

Surely you would inspect and test such an item, before handing any money over?

simonturner69

Surely you would inspect and test such an item, before handing any money … Surely you would inspect and test such an item, before handing any money over?

Although if the item ends up being stolen, you have a problem.

Mainly a problem with Phones because it might not be reported stolen until after you buy it.

I personally wouldn't buy anything (Especially of that value), without collecting from the seller's house and testing it thoroughly to make sure it works fine. That said, I can understand why people don't like giving out their home address these days...

Original Poster

it is a brand new an sealed product, and elctrical at that, so my suspicions are raised...... I have messaged him again to say there is no movement on this, his house or no sale

Agree to meet them in a nudist camp to see any hidden faults.

Banned

you would have no comeback from a private seller anyway

sold as seen

Tell seller you will meet at the bank then. They gave seats you can sit and chat. They have cctv so safety sorted for you both. Tell seller you will pay cash straight into their account. Seller does not have to give address out seller happy - you get proof you paid seller if stolen etc... Buyer happy?

DAMNOME

Tell seller you will meet at the bank then. They gave seats you can sit … Tell seller you will meet at the bank then. They gave seats you can sit and chat. They have cctv so safety sorted for you both. Tell seller you will pay cash straight into their account. Seller does not have to give address out seller happy - you get proof you paid seller if stolen etc... Buyer happy?

Lol let's all go sell fenced goods at Natwest

csiman

you would have no comeback from a private seller anywaysold as seen

Though you would know where they live.

Which is why I prefer eBay.
Some sellers may not like to give out their home address you see. I wouldn't buy an electrical item without knowing the guys name and location of his house/shop.

Walk away from this one. If they have nothing to hide they would be happy for you to come to them.

I wouldn't hand over £150 if I couldn't see that it works...my advice is to walk away dude.
Maybe get one from a Cash Convertors or CEX type place, they have abit of warranty even though its stolen

When I've sold anything on Gumtree, I've nearly always delivered to the buyers house. I'd rather not have random folk turning up at my house seeing the other cool things in my house. On the odd occasion it's been from my house I've ascertained where they come from and have decent contact details, not just the gumtree anonymous links.

Purps

Walk away from this one. If they have nothing to hide they would be happy … Walk away from this one. If they have nothing to hide they would be happy for you to come to them.

Not always. We had a weird woman buy our children's Lego which we sold on ebay. We gave the option of collection to save postage.

When she turned up she looked about 65 although the Lego was meant to be for her own kids. After seeing Lego and paying she suddenly took off her coat and sat down and announced that her friend had dropped her off but had gone shopping and would pick her up on the way back!

Very awkward as she was very odd. We gave her a coffee to be polite and she then spent over half an hour telling us her entire medical history. I don't think any part of her body had not been operated on! She absolutely stunk of fags to the extent that her white or grey hair was tinged yellow! And her nails were filthy.

Her mate knocked on the door who looked scarily like her but older and had hardly any teeth and thankfully declined to come in and seemed to be in a really foul mood, making no bones of it that she had done her friend a big favour by giving her a lift!

The buyers address was from a nice area and road so it was all rather baffling as to why she looked such a dirty mess. The money she paid us also stank and looked like it had been screwed up previously! Bizarre and we have only had one guy collect from us since and he was completely normal.

I think it is fair, I choose not to invite randomers to my home address so if you don't like it, you don't have to buy the item!

Aeschylus

it is a brand new an sealed product, and elctrical at that, so my … it is a brand new an sealed product, and elctrical at that, so my suspicions are raised...... I have messaged him again to say there is no movement on this, his house or no sale

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdnl8eRfb91rrxhj7.gif

I've bought 3 times off gumtree. All from collecting from address. Just use your common sense.

whatsThePoint

thats a good reason not to let them know, people are dumb and expect to … thats a good reason not to let them know, people are dumb and expect to be able to return something bought privately after they break it

If its broke already its a point of contact. Most people if they had been sold a faulty item would like to be able to take some action of recourse. Knowing where the person lives is a good start.

Depends what you are buying? is it illegal or slightly illegal with possible potential comebacks by the law/authorities to the seller?

Things such as chipped consoles or things like that?

im sorry to ask what is the item

I used to sell from my home before but some have been very weird and insist on trying to contact me to discuss other things nothing to do with the product and ask a lot of personal questions.

One woman a couple years ago insisted on trying out a product and she eventually started to talk about how lovely my bachelor pad was and then asked to see the bedroom...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions