Buying From The US Playstation Store

Found 20th Mar 2015
Any Problems i am sure someone will be around to answer your questions.

This thread needs to be made as people are missing out on bargains because of the unknown.

People who have knowledge of it if you see a question try and answer it. PLEASE
Community Updates
MiscPlaystation
29 Comments
Original Poster
Taken From NowGamer.com

You may be aware that US PSN PS4 games are significantly cheaper than they are in the UK due to the US to UK exchange rate and, consequently, you may want to know how to create a US PSN account so that you can download US digital games for a lower price.

In order to download US digital PSN games, you will need three things: a US PSN account, a US Amazon account and a US shipping address.

In this article, we’ll walk you though the steps you need to follow to do these three things.

Before you go any further, however, you should be aware that this is against Sony’s terms of service and as such, you could find your US content invalidated if Sony takes issue with what you’re doing.

Plenty of people already do this on the PS3 without any problems whatsoever, so it appears Sony is pretty lenient, but, of course, this is at your own risk.

How To Create a US PSN Account On PS4

To create a US PSN account start off by logging out of your PSN account on the PS4 and then selecting new user.

Now, select ‘Create a User’. This will take you through to the user agreement and, once you’ve accepted that, to a PSN welcoming screen, where you need to select, ‘Next’.

You will now be at a log-in screen. Instead of entering your log-in details, select, ‘New to PSN? Create an Account’ at the bottom of the screen.

Now you will come to a screen that’s titled ‘Sign up for PSN’. Select ‘Sign Up Now’.

At the next screen you will now need to input your country/region, your language and your date of birth. Set your country as ‘United States’ and enter your language and date of birth as normal (be aware that the US format for date of birth is month/day/year, rather than day/month/year).

Now you need to pick your City, State/Province and postal code. We’re not sure if the postal code and city need to match up, but, naturally, we went for Beverley Hills, 90210 and that worked fine.

Next, you will be asked for your Sign-in ID, which is your email address, and a password.

You can’t use the email address that your UK account is registered with for a new PSN account so, if you’ve got another email account, use that, or create a new one.

Once you’ve entered the necessary information you will have to enter your online ID and your name. Enter whatever you wish and then you will go though a series of screens where you have to set your preferences on how you want your name to be displayed, who can see your friends list, and so on.

Once you’ve done all that, you’ve got your US PSN account.

How To Get A US Shipping Address

Before we get on to buying US digital PS4 games, you will first need a US shipping address.

There are likely a number of websites that will offer this service, but we used Borderlinx.

All you need to do is create an account by entering your name, email address and password. You’ll get an activation link sent to your email and, once you’ve clicked that, you will have access to a Borderlinx account with a US address that you’ll find under ‘My Suite Addresses’.

These websites can be used to ship products to, but as you’re only going to be dealing with digital codes, there’s no need to worry about that.

How To Buy US Digital PS4 Games From The Amazon PSN Store

Though there are other sites you can purchase US digital codes from, for the sake of ease we’ve stuck with Amazon.com – who will often be among the cheapest.

Now that you’ve got your US address, go to the US Amazon site and create yourself a US account.

Go to the Amazon PSN store and pick out whatever digital PS4 game it is that you want to buy.

When you checkout, enter the US address that you got from Borderlinx or a similar site as your shipping address.

We used a UK card to pay for the game we bought and found that you cannot use the UK address that the card is registered to when buying your digital PS4 game.

Instead, use the US address as your billing address – this worked fine for us despite the fact that we paid with a UK card.

You should now be given a code that you can redeem on your PS4 to download the game that you’ve purchased.

How To Redeem A US PSN Code On Your PS4

In order to redeem your US PSN code, open the PlayStation store on your PS4 while logged in to your US PS4 account (you can’t redeem US codes on a UK account) and scroll to the bottom to select Redeem Codes. Put in your code and you’ll now own the game.

One thing to be aware of is that if you purchase any DLC for the game you’ve purchased in the future, you’ll need to buy the DLC from the same region. In other words, UK DLC will not work on a US digital copy of a game and vice versa.

We’re also aware that some of you will want to play US PSN digital games on your UK account, in which case, you’ll need to do the following.

How To Play US PSN Games On Your UK PS4 Account

If you want to play the US PSN digital games you’ve downloaded on your UK account – as well as earning Trophies – then you’ll be pleased to know this is possible.

If your US account is not set as your primary account, then any content downloaded from the US store will be locked on your UK account.

What you’ll need to do is log-in to your US account, go into settings, select, ‘PSN’, followed by ‘Activate as Your Primary PS4′ and then ‘Activate’.

If you now log back in to your UK account, you should find that US content is now unlocked.

So there you have it. US PSN digital PS4 games downloaded for a cheaper price, available to play on your UK account.
Edited by: "Bob_Green" 20th Mar 2015
Nice post, can't believe I didn't do this earlier.

Do I need to the last part on a PS3 though? Can't see a "PSN" section in the settings or the account management section.
Original Poster
VonKlaw

Nice post, can't believe I didn't do this earlier.Do I need to the last … Nice post, can't believe I didn't do this earlier.Do I need to the last part on a PS3 though? Can't see a "PSN" section in the settings or the account management section.

Primary Account Bit?
oUkTuRkEyIII

Primary Account Bit?

Yeah, I don't have a PS4. Not massively worried if it doesn't work on the PS3 but the trophies though... X)
Original Poster
VonKlaw

Yeah, I don't have a PS4. Not massively worried if it doesn't work on the … Yeah, I don't have a PS4. Not massively worried if it doesn't work on the PS3 but the trophies though... X)

PS3 is a lot simpler, no primary/second accounts involved. Just download on the US account and play on UK account. Job done Game with trophies.
oUkTuRkEyIII

PS3 is a lot simpler, no primary/second accounts involved. Just download … PS3 is a lot simpler, no primary/second accounts involved. Just download on the US account and play on UK account. Job done Game with trophies.

Yaaaay. Thanks for the help, these bargains are freaking awesome.
change.org/p/j…des

Sign so we can all change our accounts to the US for realistically priced games!
Original Poster
BarmyBulldog

https://www.change.org/p/jennifer-liu-make-the-possibility-to-change-country-in-the-psn-account?utm_campaign=petition_created&utm_medium=email&utm_source=guidesSign so we can all change our accounts to the US for realistically priced games!

That could possibly do more bad than good. Sony ignore what we do but if people complain they could stop it all together like MS.
Best place for $ PSN card? Amazon US or pcgamesupply good?
Thanks for this much appreciated
Tried this and it doesn't work. It gets to the purchase part...put my Barclay's credit card info in and it just says sorry its taking longer than expected...then nothing happens
LuFc6686

Tried this and it doesn't work. It gets to the purchase part...put my … Tried this and it doesn't work. It gets to the purchase part...put my Barclay's credit card info in and it just says sorry its taking longer than expected...then nothing happens

US store won't accept UK cards. Need to buy the credit from amazon.com who will accept it. Then redeem on US psn store.
orangebastage

US store won't accept UK cards. Need to buy the credit from amazon.com … US store won't accept UK cards. Need to buy the credit from amazon.com who will accept it. Then redeem on US psn store.

This was on amazon.com...
LuFc6686

This was on amazon.com...

Then I dunno. I just use my dd card and never had bother. Good luck with it mate as some cracking deals on the store atm :-(
Knew I should of just used CD keys! Never using Amazon again. With CD keys its just done in seconds!. With amazon I haven't a clue whats happening. It says order placed but I got no code and there is nothing in my game library... What a joke.
LuFc6686

Knew I should of just used CD keys! Never using Amazon again. With CD … Knew I should of just used CD keys! Never using Amazon again. With CD keys its just done in seconds!. With amazon I haven't a clue whats happening. It says order placed but I got no code and there is nothing in my game library... What a joke.

Better the devil you know at times. Did you order the instant code option? it's a bang bang play with amazon. Should be in your account instantly like cdkeys.
Right I've found the issue. It says they are performing security checks. It's probably because the account was made and within 2 min an order was made outside the US. And it could take upto 4hrs to check. I would advise using CD keys instead of amazon as its much more simple. No messing about with addresses.
orangebastage

Better the devil you know at times. Did you order the instant code … Better the devil you know at times. Did you order the instant code option? it's a bang bang play with amazon. Should be in your account instantly like cdkeys.

All I did was click buy then put card details in then before I could get to the code option it said we are sorry its taking so long and wouldn't get to the code part. Hopefully will be OK after security check thing. Deals on until Monday so I should get some psn top up by then. I want those games! Some cracking prices haha.
I've got the code now so all good ignore my rants I was just frustrated :b
I did this recently. All you need is a legit zip code. I made the rest of the address up. Biggest pain was making a new email address to use for the US account. Amazon.com worked no problem for me.
In regards to primary acc on ps4. I game share with a friend. Can I have his acc as primary as well as the US acc?

I've only ever used US acc on ps3
If i switch my primary account to my US one, wont it lock my UK content?
Mikethemanc

I'd like to know the same thing.
Mikethemanc

It will be okay.
I think automatic cloud saves don't work though, at least they don't on mine ... I have to manually upload to the cloud.
Is there an easy to follow guide like this for the PS Vita? I've found that to be a different ball game when it comes to trophies etc on UK account!
msesaver001

Is there an easy to follow guide like this for the PS Vita? I've found … Is there an easy to follow guide like this for the PS Vita? I've found that to be a different ball game when it comes to trophies etc on UK account!

There won't be - you can only use one account on a PS Vita at any given time. Changing accounts requires you format the system. At a minimum you'd need to have a second memory card for a second account to be viable.
Is the PS3 process the same as the PS4 one?
Original Poster
Paperlantern

Is the PS3 process the same as the PS4 one?

PS3 is simpler than the PS4. Create US account on console. Buy off US store and play on UK account.
I'm seriously thinking about this since there's a new Destiny expansion coming out in September and it seems to require the first two (which are 20£ each, or 35£ the pass). So to get both would be 35£ and then around 40£ more in September which is outrageous to pay something like this for DLCs.

But I noticed there's an edition for new gamers called Collector's Edition:
store.playstation.com/!/en-us/games/destiny-the-taken-king-digital-collector's-edition/cid=UP0002-CUSA00219_00-B000000000001722

Which gives out the game and all 3 expansions + some extras, for 79.99$, which is ~50£. This means I could sell my physical UK version of the game in CEX for 12£ Voucher even today (maybe for Batman when it's available) and I could continue playing the digital version today + 2 expansions and get the last one in September! That would be awesome! For about 50-12=38£!

Since both the game and all DLCs would be from the same region that would work fine (I thought about doing the same with just the expansions but they wouldn't work with my UK Destiny disc)

My only issue is, does someone know if I'll be able to continue where I left off with my characters? I don't want to spend so many days doing everything again. I think if I re-login with my UK account in my PS4 and play the US game through my UK account I should connect to UK servers and get the same characters, but I'm not absolutely sure and did not want to risk it.

Does someone know how does that work?

EDIT
Just wanted to let you guys know that it worked fine!

1. Created US PSN account (use a different email address)
2. Logged in at Amazon.com
3. Changed shipping address to Google's Headquarters in California (Tax Free State)
4. Bought 60$+20$ from Amazon.com (Destiny was 79.99$)
5. Bought Destiny Collector's Edition from US PSN Store for 79.99$, got 0.01$ left :P
6. Download the whole game + updates + DLCs (took a while.. phew)
7. Set US PSN account primary on PS4
8. Re-login with my UK PSN account
9. Play!

I ended up with two versions of Destiny installed on my system, one with a little disc icon (physical disk from region UK) and one without (Digital copy from US). At the end I just deleted the UK one since I'm selling the disc today, and the other one works fine with my old characters + stats

Thanks a lot guys
Edited by: "edgarpt" 22nd Jun 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants