Expired

Buying Glasses online. Any advice?

Found 15th Nov 2013
I sat on my glasses and now looking for another pair. I have super glued it back together but I have little hope that it will last long now.

I am not working at the moment so I have decided to buy glasses online but I have never done this before. Looking around glassesdirect they have some nice glasses at affordable prices but I am a bit worried.

What happens if the glasses need adjusting once I receive them? Normally boots or specsavers would do them but would they adjust glasses not bought from them? Or is this easy enough to do at home?

Does anybody buy glasses online regularly? Any advice on this? I will go one of two ways on this. If my current glasses crumble as soon as I pick them up then ill go super cheap to keep me going until I start working early next year. If however my current pair last me another month or two then I might go for some nice RayBands which are about 80 odd quid.
Community Updates
AskGlasses
9 Comments
If you dont mind waiting a couple of weeks for delivery then Goggles4u.com are the cheapest Ive come across,I got a pair of vari focals lens with photchromatic coating for $75.00/£47 inc delivery with a discount posted on here .Ive never had to have mine adjusted so cant offer any advice here but Id say other sellers will probably charge for adjustments should you need it.

Edited by: "arachnoid" 15th Nov 2013
I bought sunglasses and two pairs of normal glasses for the first time online this year. Had to adjust the sunglasses but no problems. Heated up the arms with a hairdryer then eased them into the correct fit. For the normal glasses I just had to pinch in the nose pads to raise them up a bit but in both cases was really simple. I will definitely buy online again as I saved so much money! Good luck.
Original Poster
I think I might give it a go. The super glue is holding the right side of the glasses at the moment, although its no longer flexible on that side.

The left side is quite loose but holding but I am sure it will come off soon. Time to start looking for online deals then.

BTW nhoops when you say you had to adjust the arms did you use some sort of guide or just adjusted them to how you saw fit?
Hi I currently work at an Opticians so thought I would give you some advice.

In regards to whether adjustments, most frames will need to be adjusted to suit your face i.e adjusting behind you ears and on your nose. It's best not to do this on your own because you could end up breaking the frame. The high street Opticians just use a heater (bit like a hairdryer) to heat up the plastic or metal on the frame and then adjust it accordingly. From experience the high street Opticians will adjust your glasses for you if you bought them online but they will always advise you that it is at your own risk and they can't be responsible if the frame breaks, which it usually doesn't.

I've been wearing glasses for 15 years and used to buy them from the high street but have started buying them online for the past 2 years. It was definitely a risk as I didn't know how the frame felt on my face and how big it was and because my prescription is so high I wasn't used to the lenses that I had chosen in the glasses but I eventually managed after a few weeks. The pair I bought were also RayBans but they were quite loose so had to get them adjusted at the Opticans where I work to sort this. If your looking to save money and more choice would say buy online no doubt and you can get them adjusted at home or at a high street store (hopefully they won't break them).

Hope this helps! All the best
I don't know if this is a local thing or what, but my 16 year old son broke his glasses, they were unreparable and they don't replace glasses for over 16's so I bought a cheap pair from specsavers for £25. However when he collected them he was given a golden ticket which gives 50% off any pair over £69 within the next six months.
Original Poster
Jagsingh29

Hi I currently work at an Opticians so thought I would give you some … Hi I currently work at an Opticians so thought I would give you some advice.In regards to whether adjustments, most frames will need to be adjusted to suit your face i.e adjusting behind you ears and on your nose. It's best not to do this on your own because you could end up breaking the frame. The high street Opticians just use a heater (bit like a hairdryer) to heat up the plastic or metal on the frame and then adjust it accordingly. From experience the high street Opticians will adjust your glasses for you if you bought them online but they will always advise you that it is at your own risk and they can't be responsible if the frame breaks, which it usually doesn't.I've been wearing glasses for 15 years and used to buy them from the high street but have started buying them online for the past 2 years. It was definitely a risk as I didn't know how the frame felt on my face and how big it was and because my prescription is so high I wasn't used to the lenses that I had chosen in the glasses but I eventually managed after a few weeks. The pair I bought were also RayBans but they were quite loose so had to get them adjusted at the Opticans where I work to sort this. If your looking to save money and more choice would say buy online no doubt and you can get them adjusted at home or at a high street store (hopefully they won't break them).Hope this helps! All the best

Hi Jagsingh29,

Thank you for the information, its very helpful. Might I ask what RayBands did you buy and how much you paid for them?
ceanth

Hi Jagsingh29,Thank you for the information, its very helpful. Might I … Hi Jagsingh29,Thank you for the information, its very helpful. Might I ask what RayBands did you buy and how much you paid for them?

No problem your more than welcome. The Raybans I bought are called RX5228 2000 the frame is around £80. I paid near £100 but that includes lenses and I have to have my lenses thinned down too because my prescription is so high which is why the price went up. I bought them from a website called Smartbuyglasses
Original Poster
Jagsingh29

No problem your more than welcome. The Raybans I bought are called RX5228 … No problem your more than welcome. The Raybans I bought are called RX5228 2000 the frame is around £80. I paid near £100 but that includes lenses and I have to have my lenses thinned down too because my prescription is so high which is why the price went up. I bought them from a website called Smartbuyglasses

They look pretty good. I am toying whether to have those little sliver bits on the top corners or not. Other RayBands I have seen are the same price range without the silver bits. How are you liking yours?
ceanth

They look pretty good. I am toying whether to have those little sliver … They look pretty good. I am toying whether to have those little sliver bits on the top corners or not. Other RayBands I have seen are the same price range without the silver bits. How are you liking yours?

They look good tbh and other people love them too. They stand out a lot and are different but I guess it's all about whether they fit your personality and style. They are loads of designs to choose from so my advice is choose carefully!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants