Buying GPU in May 2018

Found 13th MayEdited by:"nostalgian"
Ladies and gentlemen,

I would like to make my first build this year and was wondering if you have any wise advice regarding purchasing GTX 1080 GPUs (I know about the RAM issue but we'll ignore that for now). Prices are dropping now but I have a feeling that's due to new GPUs coming very soon. Should I hold out or should I purchase soon?

Many thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
I believe the new ones will be much more powerful, but then again that depends what price that will be. If they are the price of an iPhone X then probably best off going for the 1080.
The new gpu are out in July/August the 1170 is 500 and gives the performance of a 1080ti. The 1180 adds about 50% more power but not sure of the price of that one. I can’t wait for the 1180 myself.
So, will the crypto-currency miners be flogging off all their well used 1080s cheap on ebay, when the new graphics cards come out?
Edited by: "melted" 13th May
melted2 h, 30 m ago

So, will the crypto-currency miners be flogging off all their well used …So, will the crypto-currency miners be flogging off all their well used 1080s cheap on ebay, when the new graphics cards come out?

Doubt it as they're not known for selling on at cheap prices. Probably end up £100 under mrrp on most cards as there's a lot of people out there that won't know any different. I paid £220 for my r9 290 ref 2nd hand after it had been out a year and prices dropped, alot of these cards have been sold a lot higher than they should of and no one wants to lose a big chunk of cash selling a 2nd hand card.
cmdr_elito10 h, 43 m ago

I believe the new ones will be much more powerful, but then again that …I believe the new ones will be much more powerful, but then again that depends what price that will be. If they are the price of an iPhone X then probably best off going for the 1080.

yeah, that's what i was going for anyway. i'm assuming maybe when new cards arrive even the 1080ti will drop. my budget is around £500-600.. the bloody 1440p monitors with 144hz refresh rates are too expensive as well...
Bargainhead9 h, 9 m ago

The new gpu are out in July/August the 1170 is 500 and gives the …The new gpu are out in July/August the 1170 is 500 and gives the performance of a 1080ti. The 1180 adds about 50% more power but not sure of the price of that one. I can’t wait for the 1180 myself.

that would be the ideal scenario. i would be elated if that is true!
Bargainhead13th May

The new gpu are out in July/August the 1170 is 500 and gives the …The new gpu are out in July/August the 1170 is 500 and gives the performance of a 1080ti. The 1180 adds about 50% more power but not sure of the price of that one. I can’t wait for the 1180 myself.

Where did you hear this?
bazdotdoc26th May

Where did you hear this?

all over the net now, simple google search brings it up
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants