Buying iphone 6 in europe

Found 17th Aug 2015
Currently in Canaries and can get a sim free iphone 6 64gb for 710 euro - which equates to less than £510 at current exchange rates and also less than the cost of a 16gb version at home. 64gb version from Apple store is 619 so I figured this was a good saving.

Thanks in advance

Any disadvantage to buying one while I am here?
Community Updates
AskiPhoneiPhone 6
9 Comments
if its from the Apple store, no.
Would they be covered by the warranty?
abhi2512

Would they be covered by the warranty?

Apple warranty on "portable products" - phones, laptops, iPads is International and you can get the item repaired by Apple anywhere....

The main problem is that there is no VAT on the Canary Islands (just local Sales Tax of 5% I think) which is why the prices are lower. So not treated as part of the EU for Customs purposes. The prices you are quoting are above the allowance for other goods (£390) and so you are liable for 2.5% Customs Duty and you may also be liable for 20% on top of that.....

Up to you to declare on arrival in the UK.......
tintin7

Apple warranty on "portable products" - phones, laptops, iPads is … Apple warranty on "portable products" - phones, laptops, iPads is International and you can get the item repaired by Apple anywhere....The main problem is that there is no VAT on the Canary Islands (just local Sales Tax of 5% I think) which is why the prices are lower. So not treated as part of the EU for Customs purposes. The prices you are quoting are above the allowance for other goods (£390) and so you are liable for 2.5% Customs Duty and you may also be liable for 20% on top of that.....Up to you to declare on arrival in the UK.......

FYI apple warranty is not international atleast for phones.Where you bought the phone is where you will get it serviced/replaced.Agreed for mac products like macbook etc they do international warranty but not for phones.I do have first hand experience of this
Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies
+1 phones dont have intl warranty all other products do
Original Poster
abhi2512

FYI apple warranty is not international atleast for phones.Where you … FYI apple warranty is not international atleast for phones.Where you bought the phone is where you will get it serviced/replaced.Agreed for mac products like macbook etc they do international warranty but not for phones.I do have first hand experience of this

mattmerch

tintin7

Apple warranty on "portable products" - phones, laptops, iPads is … Apple warranty on "portable products" - phones, laptops, iPads is International and you can get the item repaired by Apple anywhere....The main problem is that there is no VAT on the Canary Islands (just local Sales Tax of 5% I think) which is why the prices are lower. So not treated as part of the EU for Customs purposes. The prices you are quoting are above the allowance for other goods (£390) and so you are liable for 2.5% Customs Duty and you may also be liable for 20% on top of that.....Up to you to declare on arrival in the UK.......

I am actually struggling to find a definitive on whether iPhone does have an International warranty or not ....given the much praised Apple support I would have though at least this would be clear cut !

Anyone have a source one way or the other?
abhi2512

FYI apple warranty is not international atleast for phones.Where you … FYI apple warranty is not international atleast for phones.Where you bought the phone is where you will get it serviced/replaced.Agreed for mac products like macbook etc they do international warranty but not for phones.I do have first hand experience of this

mattmerch

tintin7

You do not have warranty outside the country you have bought it in.I bought a IPhone in U.K and wanted to get it serviced in India ,but they would not do it stating that the warranty does not hold good outside U.K and I would have to pay for anything they would do .On the other hand I have a macbook air which I bought in the U.S ,I could get it serviced everywhere...Hopefully that should answer your question..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants