Buying iphone x on ebay

Found 9th May
hi guys after advice. thinking of buying iphone x on ebay. never done so before. any tips and things to look out for please. thanks
Community Updates
Top comments
I think your asking for trouble. Get a contract.
15 Comments
I think your asking for trouble. Get a contract.
Hear alot of bad things from people buying phones off ebay then a few months later the original owner reports it stolen and gets it locked to claim the money on the insurance and the new owner just ends up with an expense brick
deleted1132166
It's pretty safe as long as you follow certain things.
Pay by PayPal, that way any issues you can issue a notice with them.
Check the sellers feedback. If number of positive feedbacks is low , than stay away.
If they have hundreds of positive feedbacks with very few or no negative feedback than it will be fine.
Buying second hand is always risky but eBay has lots of avenues to stop dodgy seller's.
You could got to CEX , you will pay more but think you get a 24 months warranty.
Nothing wrong with buying from ebay, check sellers feedback etc. With a iphone x i would personally look for a sealed one as you’ll receive 12 months warranty from apple, which is really helpful.
ding1 h, 28 m ago

Hear alot of bad things from people buying phones off ebay then a few …Hear alot of bad things from people buying phones off ebay then a few months later the original owner reports it stolen and gets it locked to claim the money on the insurance and the new owner just ends up with an expense brick

This. I bought a phone on eBay that was blacklisted more than 6 months after my purchase. The seller had great feedback and told me he bought it from someone else. That someone else had disappeared from eBay by then. The network that’s blacklisted it won’t give you any information because of data protection laws.

I still buy from eBay, but now I stick to companies only (who normally offer 12 month warranties and replacement devices if not as described). It’s a bit more expensive, but with some patience good deals can still be had.
Hi guys thank you. Appreciate the replies. I am in still in contract with ee so cant start a new one yet. I was looking at brand new sealed ones which are unlocked and i am checking feedback. Some only have a few feedbacks..i normally contact seller to ask if sealed and if UK model etc as that way i get apple warranty. Thank you all.
Similar thing I considered, then got it from music magpie, cheaper, 12 month warrenty and no chance of getting reported stolen.
melomanias7 h, 18 m ago

This. I bought a phone on eBay that was blacklisted more than 6 months …This. I bought a phone on eBay that was blacklisted more than 6 months after my purchase. The seller had great feedback and told me he bought it from someone else. That someone else had disappeared from eBay by then. The network that’s blacklisted it won’t give you any information because of data protection laws.I still buy from eBay, but now I stick to companies only (who normally offer 12 month warranties and replacement devices if not as described). It’s a bit more expensive, but with some patience good deals can still be had.

I agree with company only. If you are buying from a business seller you should be okay, as they would be unlikely to blacklist. Also, make sure there is a lot of feedback for the seller from selling alone, as the number includes both buying and selling
Don’t do it.

Maybe buy from CEX but I still wouldn’t risk it.

Look out for a Very discount code
Ok thanks all....x
If you're spending the extra £400 on the phone for small improvements, it definitely makes sense to spend the extra £40 on the big improvements you'd get in after sales support by buying from a good shop.
shadowfall18 h, 50 m ago

Nothing wrong with buying from ebay, check sellers feedback etc. With a …Nothing wrong with buying from ebay, check sellers feedback etc. With a iphone x i would personally look for a sealed one as you’ll receive 12 months warranty from apple, which is really helpful.

Doesn't make a difference whether it's sealed. If someone had it as part of a contract upgrade, they could report it missing months after selling the phone and get it blocked. Steer clear from fleabay when it comes to sealed iPhones
ding19 h, 55 m ago

Hear alot of bad things from people buying phones off ebay then a few …Hear alot of bad things from people buying phones off ebay then a few months later the original owner reports it stolen and gets it locked to claim the money on the insurance and the new owner just ends up with an expense brick

Common scam and also happening in places like CEX too.
A very quick search on eBay for your criteria, iPhone X, New, EE, shows the cheapest Buy Now at £680 (or best offer).

Very tempting when this is a saving of £300+ when compared to direct from Apple.

BUT, as has been pointed out, very risky, very easy for seller to report as lost/stolen and disappear from eBay, which is a shame as there are many genuine sellers out there who are tarred with this same brush.

If I were you, I'd save from now until the end of the year and you should pick up an iPhone X from a reputable shop for around that same price once the masses trade there X in to get the new iPhone 11 or whatever it'll be called.
Ok thank you. I will not bother now with ebay. Will trade in old phones and wait for a while x
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants