Buying iphone5 outright?

Found 14th Dec 2012
Evening folks,
I've managed to save up some money to buy myself an iphone 5 for christmas, and was thinking about buying it from the Apple store (32gb, as will use it as an ipod too) and then sticking a £10 a month giffgaff sim into it.

I'm a student (student discount etc) and was wondering where the best place to buy it outright from?

thanks x

28 Comments

Well if you get student discount then surely the apple student store online?

I was going to go with giff gaff for mine but decided on tesco as it was cheaper.

I think you have more or less answered your own question
Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 14th Dec 2012

There's no discount for students on iphones at Apple stores. You can sometimes get a small amount of cashback from quidco or topcashback but that's about it.

Buying outright is usually a much better deal than getting an iphone 5 on contract.

Original Poster

takethatfan1978

Well if you get student discount then surely the apple student store … Well if you get student discount then surely the apple student store online?I was going to go with giff gaff for mine but decided on tesco as it was cheaper.I think you have more or less answered your own question

RonChew

There's no discount for students on iphones at Apple stores. You can … There's no discount for students on iphones at Apple stores. You can sometimes get a small amount of cashback from quidco or topcashback but that's about it.Buying outright is usually a much better deal than getting an iphone 5 on contract.

Thanks for your responses guys, i know there's no student discount at Apple stores, what i meant was that if a different store offers student discount, i would be better buying it there. Didn't make it very clear.

RonChew

There's no discount for students on iphones at Apple stores. You can … There's no discount for students on iphones at Apple stores. You can sometimes get a small amount of cashback from quidco or topcashback but that's about it.Buying outright is usually a much better deal than getting an iphone 5 on contract.

This.

takethatfan1978

Well if you get student discount then surely the apple student store … Well if you get student discount then surely the apple student store online?I was going to go with giff gaff for mine but decided on tesco as it was cheaper.I think you have more or less answered your own question

RonChew

Apple stores do offer student discount, just not on iPad Minis and iPhones.

Original Poster

aircanman

Apple stores do offer student discount, just not on iPad Minis and … Apple stores do offer student discount, just not on iPad Minis and iPhones.

Indeed, i meant for iPhones.
Apple have very generous student discount too, 75% on applecare!

how much is a iphone 5 32G

Original Poster

larrylightweight

how much is a iphone 5 32G

£599 from the apple store

599 + 10£ a month for 24 months = 839£s for the worst service in the world giff gaff lol £10 gets you 250 UK minutes, unlimited UK texts and only 1 GB Internet not good for a iphone 5 my point is put the saved money into an account and get it on contract only useing the money youv saved for your contract

t mobile 2000 mins unlimited texts and data £36 a month over 24 months = £864 about the same but so much more for your money i know your a student and its hard to do this but try to think about it logically hope iv been some help
Edited by: "larrylightweight" 14th Dec 2012

larrylightweight

599 + 10£ a month for 24 months = 839£s for the worst service in the w … 599 + 10£ a month for 24 months = 839£s for the worst service in the world giff gaff lol £10 gets you 250 UK minutes, unlimited UK texts and only 1 GB Internet not good for a iphone 5 my point is put the saved money into an account and get it on contract only useing the money youv saved for your contract t mobile 2000 mins unlimited texts and data £36 a month over 24 months = £864 about the same but so much more for your money i know your a student and its hard to do this but try to think about it logically hope iv been some help

T-Mobile is a shocking network

DONT GO WITH THEM

ps... i only picked tmobile as they offer unlimited data a must for a student and a iphone 5 lol

jdurbin96

T-Mobile is a shocking networkDONT GO WITH THEM

Actually Not true. Signal is good Since they joined with ORANGE

jdurbin96

T-Mobile is a shocking networkDONT GO WITH THEM

are they really iv never been with them look around then but my logic still stands unless someone can convince me other wise i am also looking at buying the same phone and i do have the money save just the same but im already on giif gaff and they just changed the tariff so im going to go contract

larrylightweight

599 + 10£ a month for 24 months = 839£s for the worst service in the w … 599 + 10£ a month for 24 months = 839£s for the worst service in the world giff gaff lol £10 gets you 250 UK minutes, unlimited UK texts and only 1 GB Internet not good for a iphone 5 my point is put the saved money into an account and get it on contract only useing the money youv saved for your contract t mobile 2000 mins unlimited texts and data £36 a month over 24 months = £864 about the same but so much more for your money i know your a student and its hard to do this but try to think about it logically hope iv been some help

You overlooked the £219 cost of an iPhone 5 making the total £1,083.

On giffgaff you can get 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data for £12 a month giving a total cost over 24 months of £877, rather a lot less unless you need 2000 minutes. Additionally you aren't tied to a 24 month contract and you don't have to put up with T-Mobile's woeful customer service.

THRILLER-DEEJAY

Actually Not true. Signal is good Since they joined with ORANGE

The signal is fine. It's the hopelessly incompetent customer service that is the problem. And the additional costs, such as voicemail not included in minutes, unlocking charged for and takes forever and unanswered calls to CS. They are like 3 were 5 years ago, and may well still be. I wouldn't touch either of them with a bargepole.

RonChew

The signal is fine. It's the hopelessly incompetent customer service that … The signal is fine. It's the hopelessly incompetent customer service that is the problem. And the additional costs, such as voicemail not included in minutes, unlocking charged for and takes forever and unanswered calls to CS. They are like 3 were 5 years ago, and may well still be. I wouldn't touch either of them with a bargepole.

I agree

RonChew

You overlooked the £219 cost of an iPhone 5 making the total £1,083. On g … You overlooked the £219 cost of an iPhone 5 making the total £1,083. On giffgaff you can get 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data for £12 a month giving a total cost over 24 months of £877, rather a lot less unless you need 2000 minutes. Additionally you aren't tied to a 24 month contract and you don't have to put up with T-Mobile's woeful customer service.

really ok if i have then sorry just looked and seen its £99 for the phone i would shop around if you go though topcashback they are offering 90 back on the iphone 5 with tmobile still i would go contract its better than giffgaff

i bought one cash from Apple online and then used my EE 4G work sim for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Original Poster

Many thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate it.
I don't get a signal in my house with t-mobile / orange unfortunately, have to go into the loft or outside to take calls.

I don't use many minutes, which is why giffgaff is so appealing to me, as i am not paying for minutes which i know i won't use.

jamespaton

Many thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate it.I don't get a … Many thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate it.I don't get a signal in my house with t-mobile / orange unfortunately, have to go into the loft or outside to take calls. I don't use many minutes, which is why giffgaff is so appealing to me, as i am not paying for minutes which i know i won't use.

I've got a couple of contracts with giffgaff that my teenage children use in iphones and, as a network, giffgaff are fine. And you're on a monthly contract so you can always leave if you want.

The only possible drawback is that I don't think giffgaff supply nano sims yet so you'd have to cut down a micro sim.

larrylightweight

really ok if i have then sorry just looked and seen its £99 for the … really ok if i have then sorry just looked and seen its £99 for the phone i would shop around if you go though topcashback they are offering 90 back on the iphone 5 with tmobile still i would go contract its better than giffgaff

£99 for the 16GB but OP wants a 32GB which is £219. Perhaps you should try reading what people write before handing out advice?

thats ok glad to advise i can see why contract is not for every one thats just my logic and i only came up with it a few weeks ago after been with giff gaff since the start and only ever been a pay as you go customer with o2 before now i want an iphone 5 just seemed best to go contarct than have the big outlay and then £10 a month after for next to nothing anyway good luck in what ever you choose and good luck in uni/collage

Original Poster

RonChew

I've got a couple of contracts with giffgaff that my teenage children use … I've got a couple of contracts with giffgaff that my teenage children use in iphones and, as a network, giffgaff are fine. And you're on a monthly contract so you can always leave if you want.The only possible drawback is that I don't think giffgaff supply nano sims yet so you'd have to cut down a micro sim.

that's great to hear, yes i believe they have just released nano-sims on giff gaff

http://nanosim.giffgaffapps.com

Also, do you mind me asking, can you take advantage of o2 priority moments on giffgaff?

i tryed from my iphone 3gs even though it says o2 in the corner with my giff gaff sim inside and told me my number is not a o2 number for priority moments

Have you tried accessing Apples's education store through your uni's/ college's internet. The do have an education section of their website but it has to be accessed from a recognised educational institution's ip address. Do they still have that? I haven't been a student since 2011.

dolphinninja

Have you tried accessing Apples's education store through your uni's/ … Have you tried accessing Apples's education store through your uni's/ college's internet. The do have an education section of their website but it has to be accessed from a recognised educational institution's ip address. Do they still have that? I haven't been a student since 2011.

No discount with student link on apple store website. Op have you looked at Carphone Warehouse deals? Seem pretty cheap on an O2 contract.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

If I'd saved that much I'd at least spend it on a half decent phone.

any suggestions?

hi, can I ask where you got your phone from in the end as we are looking to do the same- did you find any student discounts also? I spotted cash back on quidco if you buy from car phone warehouse, you could possibley sell the PAYG sim on ebay ar it comes with £10 on it. I've also done extensive work on insurance and it seems insurance2go are the most reasonable ones- as a heads up in my opinion!
Post a comment
@
    Text