Buying land for investment, is it a good idea?

Found 10th Sep 2013
With house prices going up you would expect land prices to up as well. Is it a good investment to buy a land, how to find it and what price range per meter should I expect to pay. Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.
Community Updates
Misc
20 Comments

what price range per meter should I expect to pay

You dont buy it off a roll you know, and if you mean sq.m you need to be thinking of measurements in acres
Banned
It's a no brainer if you can get planning permission to build residential property on it and it's in a good location.

price per meter is hard to say unless you're more specific about location.

All in all, it sounds like you need to do loads more research before you take the plunge and are left with not a lot of useless land for your retirement package.
Land isn't worth anything without planning permission. And if it has it already you probably would get outbid by developers.
Banned
harlzter

You dont buy it off a roll you know, and if you mean sq.m you need to be … You dont buy it off a roll you know, and if you mean sq.m you need to be thinking of measurements in acres

Not if he's talking London.
harlzter

You dont buy it off a roll you know, and if you mean sq.m you need to be … You dont buy it off a roll you know, and if you mean sq.m you need to be thinking of measurements in acres

I think OP means

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/82/Water_meter_register.jpg/200px-Water_meter_register.jpg

If you get maybe 10 of these installed on your land, each surrounded by bricks and mortar it will be a sound investment.
Edited by: "RossD89" 10th Sep 2013
Banned
gbspurs

Land isn't worth anything without planning permission. And if it has it … Land isn't worth anything without planning permission. And if it has it already you probably would get outbid by developers.

If he does his homework he can get smaller plots of land that currently do not have planning but would be likely to be granted planning (that's where the homework bit comes in). that way he can go through the planning process and once it gets granted he can cash in immediately (if there's demand in that location of course) and use the money to buy more land and so on.

OP, this isn't a walk in the park by any means.
bykergrove

It's a no brainer if you can get planning permission to build residential … It's a no brainer if you can get planning permission to build residential property on it and it's in a good location.price per meter is hard to say unless you're more specific about location.All in all, it sounds like you need to do loads more research before you take the plunge and are left with not a lot of useless land for your retirement package.

Long term may be better with slightly downtrodden areas as
1) Most areas like this are in some sort of regeneration (loads like this Derbys/Notts areas)
2) At this rate this will be the ONLY land left soon anyway so long run return could be better but its more of a gamble unless you know the locality.
Banned
harlzter

Long term may be better with slightly downtrodden areas as 1) Most areas … Long term may be better with slightly downtrodden areas as 1) Most areas like this are in some sort of regeneration (loads like this Derbys/Notts areas)2) At this rate this will be the ONLY land left soon anyway so long run return could be better but its more of a gamble unless you know the locality.

Yeah I guess it depends on the OP's risk profile and how liquid he wants his investments (OP, this is influenced by how close you are to retirement).
Banned
OP, an alternative is to buy property and rent it out.

If you're not up for the hassle you can put it on a guaranteed rental scheme. Although you do lose a lot of control in who rents out your property. You can check the details when you speak to various scheme providers.

Or manage it yourself if you want more control or profit/income. This is not for everybody though.
Original Poster
I dont take risk and I am thinking in selling in 10 years. I am buffled about how people buy land in first place, where is it advertised!
Banned
You never heard of hotukland.co.uk?
Banned
meshosa

I dont take risk and I am thinking in selling in 10 years. I am buffled … I dont take risk and I am thinking in selling in 10 years. I am buffled about how people buy land in first place, where is it advertised!

If you're risk adverse think about maxing out your ISA and paying your mortgage off before delving into something like land ownership. There's no guarantee that the land you buy is going to be worth substantially more than what you bought it for after fees.

Also, even if it is worth more, there's no guarantee that someone will want to buy it off you. especially if it does not have development potential (i.e granted planning permisson)

There's lots of ways to buy land, there's the regular property websites, the government, purchasing of farms etc.

Have you even tried to google this idea of yours or are you hoping that someone on here will do the work to make you rich for free?
ifrazalam

You never heard of http://www.hotukland.co.uk?

Used them before,bought 4 rolls of turf with no problems
meshosa

I dont take risk !

Forget buying land then, it isn't for you.
Land can be subject to gypsies.

Plenty of acres for sale on the Moon.
Banned
gbspurs

Land isn't worth anything without planning permission. And if it has it … Land isn't worth anything without planning permission. And if it has it already you probably would get outbid by developers.

I have done it twice now , bought a house with a side garden and got planning in the garden , the last one for TWO properties , if you are crafty it can be tax free too
meshosa

I dont take risk

/thread
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2052932/Warning-landbanking-scams-investors-sold-worthless-plots-number-cases-double-years.html

Inb4 real tears
Mark2111

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2052932/Warning-landbanking-scams-investors-sold-worthless-plots-number-cases-double-years.htmlInb4 real tears

I was just about to post similar, keep away from those sharks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions