Buying laptop advice please

Posted 31st MayEdited by:"vikz_c"
Hi all,
So i am in the market of looking for a new laptop.

Currently I have Samsung 17" 3000e5a.

It has a core i5- 2350M
8GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 3000.
500gb HDD. (only using about 150GB)
win 10

I have used this for about 11 years now and the hinges on the screen are near dead and i am using paper wedged in-between the screen to keep it upright.

The laptop never really coped after about 3 years ago when i finally went to win 10 and fan speed was locked due to no bios software available for FN functions.
Battery is knackered (3rd one as battery is locked to 80% due to windows not letting me get to to old Samsung functions)
So to say the least i can say this laptop has had its use and served me well.

I use the laptop to do like most everyday essentials on it, as well as playing a few games at the weekends away from teaching, the classics such as AOE and i play quite regularly on DOTA 2. I also use Serif Suite along with a drawing tablet, but struggle using it now.

I am completely lost in the world now of Intel vs AMD and GPU's and some Lenovos only having a single ram slot and what I should be looking for, IPS screens Tn Screens, Vega 8 and GTX 1050 1650 1650ti a complete mine field. It shows how out of touch I have been over the past 10 years or so. I don't even know what i am looking at when it now comes to threads, overlocking it all and under watting and the number of nits etc...

I have trawled websites and I find one laptop then another then just give up looking.

The things I am looking for are to continue doing what I was doing, with Dota 2 and using serif suite for drawing and a little video creations for the kids at school along with trying to be a little future/ proof/ future smart and keep it going again for another say 6 years. Before looking to switch it up again.

In terms of screen size I don't mind going for anything between 15 and 17.3 again.

Although it has been great having a bigger screen this is one of the things if i needed to i would compromise.

I am not specificity looking for a gaming laptop as i cant see my self being conformable using a MSI or something along those lines.

My Budget is really around the £500- £650 mark and all help is appreciated. One more thing I have a Currys gift card for £300 which I don't mind using but it is not essential.

Thanks again for listening to me drone on and again all help is appreciated .
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
The samsung has served you well. Do you have any reasons to change from this brand? Are you brand loyal? Personally, I am brand loyal and equally quick to ditch any brand or retail outlets that do not come up to my high standards. Its annoying that Currys don't stock Samsung laptops, but I always say find out the ideal requirements required for the software you run. At the moment if your samsung copes, then I would use that as your base spec - everything else within your budget above this is going to be a bonus. If you can get to a showroom, or wait until you can, it is always best to take a few laptops for a test drive, comparing on-line deals and haggle.
tardytortoise31/05/2020 11:57

The samsung has served you well. Do you have any reasons to change from …The samsung has served you well. Do you have any reasons to change from this brand? Are you brand loyal? Personally, I am brand loyal and equally quick to ditch any brand or retail outlets that do not come up to my high standards. Its annoying that Currys don't stock Samsung laptops, but I always say find out the ideal requirements required for the software you run. At the moment if your samsung copes, then I would use that as your base spec - everything else within your budget above this is going to be a bonus. If you can get to a showroom, or wait until you can, it is always best to take a few laptops for a test drive, comparing on-line deals and haggle.

Thanks for the message back!

To be honest, i am Samsung everything, my only no no is apple products, but i am not too precious about brands. I know, i also just found out that Currys have a 0 returns policy if the laptop has been opened and switched on. Something about data on the hard drive, even one spec of personal info like a name or a user you cant return hence why i am not too worried about using a gift card from currys.
Not too keen on the new Samsung laptops, they seem a bit 'mac booky' look nice but i think the tech will be sort lived and it will come up short in the future.
tardytortoise31/05/2020 11:57

The samsung has served you well. Do you have any reasons to change from …The samsung has served you well. Do you have any reasons to change from this brand? Are you brand loyal? Personally, I am brand loyal and equally quick to ditch any brand or retail outlets that do not come up to my high standards. Its annoying that Currys don't stock Samsung laptops, but I always say find out the ideal requirements required for the software you run. At the moment if your samsung copes, then I would use that as your base spec - everything else within your budget above this is going to be a bonus. If you can get to a showroom, or wait until you can, it is always best to take a few laptops for a test drive, comparing on-line deals and haggle.

You shouldn't really stick with brand loyalty when buying a laptop, should be the one that fits the requirements best.
I'll keep an eye out for you op

If you don't mind used stuff like this ie good for the moneyx they regularly have them in before lockdown
uk.webuy.com/pro…0-b
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 31st May
Jordan_Taylor31/05/2020 19:34

You shouldn't really stick with brand loyalty when buying a laptop, should …You shouldn't really stick with brand loyalty when buying a laptop, should be the one that fits the requirements best.

I agree, and then brand loyalty - if a there is a suitable one within budget.
Jordan_Taylor31/05/2020 19:34

I'll keep an eye out for you opIf you don't mind used stuff like this ie …I'll keep an eye out for you opIf you don't mind used stuff like this ie good for the moneyx they regularly have them in before lockdownhttps://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=slapleny54015irh29b&categoryName=laptops-windows&superCatName=computing&title=lenovo-y540-15irh-i5-9300h-8gb-ram-1tbhdd%2B128gbssd-1660ti-15%22-w10-b

cex are one of those outlets not on my high standards list, whereas I have always had good experience from Morgan Computers going back to the 80s when they were in Tottenham High Road
Post a comment
@
    Text