Buying Mobile Phones on Ebay or Gumtree - Should i be cautious?

Found 26th Aug 2013
Time has come for me to purchase a new phone..... Prices seem to be cheaper on the internet, however if i were to purchase a phone from ebay or gumtree and then the seller reports it stolen, would the phone then be blocked.

More curious about Gumtree as i will have no proof of purchase, unless on collection i get the seller to sign a self-drawn receipt. Even then, is that enough to get the network to unlock it?

thanks

25 Comments

Banned

Yes phone would get blocked and no you cant get it unblocked as you are not original owner.

Time has come for me to purchase a new phone..... Prices seem to be … Time has come for me to purchase a new phone..... Prices seem to be cheaper on the internet, however if i were to purchase a phone from ebay or gumtree and then the seller reports it stolen, would the phone then be blocked.

yes

More curious about Gumtree as i will have no proof of purchase, unless on … More curious about Gumtree as i will have no proof of purchase, unless on collection i get the seller to sign a self-drawn receipt. Even then, is that enough to get the network to unlock it?

nope

always a risk buying a phone online... ive purchased a fair few phones online only ever had one been blocked on me. Gumtree is probably the riskiest imo because theres no feedback system so you have base your trust on the person. A couple of things which eliminate this are going to the persons house to buy the phone... getting a real receipt/invoice even checking a persons ID to say who they are is who they are.

Buying on eBay/Forums is the best bet due to the feedback systems. Have you tried purchasing a phone off here?

m27try

i get the seller to sign a self-drawn receipt. Even then, is that enough … i get the seller to sign a self-drawn receipt. Even then, is that enough to get the network to unlock it?

No, nothing can get the networks to unblock it apart from the original owner.

I would avoid buying any phone that retails PayAsYouGo for > £100 on Ebay/Gumtre, it's just not worth the risk.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 26th Aug 2013

You are assuming everyone in the world is a scammer. Go and see them face to face and make your own mind up.

Banned

I thought only iphones got blocked ?

unless on collection i get the seller to sign a self-drawn receipt

good idea, this is how I signed the last receipt when someone picked up a phone

http://i43.tinypic.com/25fkfva.jpg

In your mind.

Bid on ones which come with the original box.

Still could get scammed but it's far less likely that they have been stolen.

I left my phone at home this morning, I've just nipped home at lunchtime to pick it up and my wife had sent me a text at 9:38am saying:

"Hi hun, you've left your phone in the kitchen"

What am I still with this woman?
Edited by: "john2020md" 26th Aug 2013

Rubisco

Bid on ones which come with the original box.Still could get scammed but … Bid on ones which come with the original box.Still could get scammed but it's far less likely that they have been stolen.

Agreed. If it comes with the original charger and box good chance it did not go missing while someone was out at the night club

(_;)

I've never had any issue when I've looked for the following:

Original Box and accessories.
Have the upgrade receipt/purchase receipt - ask for a copy or the original.

Lowers the available market and you pay a bit more than the bare minimum, but I've always found good people. If you want an expensive phone for a bargain (almost too good a bargain) then there will be risks you have to take, i.e not boxed, no charger, doing it that way can be an expensive mistake.

Why not get the best of both worlds? Search eBay for the ones near you, that way you can go and collect or view the phone.
Don't assume that having a box means its not stolen, loads of boxes / chargers / ear phone on eBay for a few quid.

Ive bought 2 iphones on ebay and a Nokia N8 over the past three years and never had a problem

Just choose a seller with lots of positive feedback

ItWizzNaeMe

I thought only iphones got blocked ?

If the phone was obtained through fraud (ie ID theft ect) then the network will blacklist it as soon as they realize. That's for any type of phone.

eBay yes as you have some cover with PayPal. Gumtree no because you don't know who you are dealing with.

But to ask this sort of question this day and age, is a little naive.

Just go to a store, they do good deals anyway not worth the risk trust me on this one!

Not worth running the risk buying from eBay or Gumtree even though it's likely it won't happen to you. The seller could be the nicest person you've ever met face to face or have fantastic feedback on eBay but that doesn't stop them blocking the phone should they feel that way inclined.

I sell most of my second hand phones on ebay.

Never buy phones from there though, or anything expensive for that matter.

I always get my phones from gumtree.

Had about 5 top of the range phones from there, always go to the persons house, make sure it's boxed, see a receipt if they have one, and text and call them before I will collect, i.e. text them planning the collection and then call them when i'm on the way.

I've had a few blatant scammers that I've avoided but they're always relatively easy to spot.

If you've ever lost your iPhone, take solace in the thought that maybe - just maybe - some mouse family now has a flat-screen TV ...

john2020md

If you've ever lost your iPhone, take solace in the thought that maybe - … If you've ever lost your iPhone, take solace in the thought that maybe - just maybe - some mouse family now has a flat-screen TV ...

Yes,
They will however need a comparatively extremely large computer to make it work.
(_;)

P.S. I know this is a joke.

theworkingdead

Yes,They will however need a comparatively extremely large computer to … Yes,They will however need a comparatively extremely large computer to make it work.(_;)P.S. I know this is a joke.

I'm worried now as Ive a phone from eBay.

penguin40128th Feb

I'm worried now as Ive a phone from eBay.

​did you buy the phone three years ago or just recently? joking aside, majority of the eBayers are probably safe, but next time, check feedback and number of feedback, is it fully boxed etc, receipt provided (not sure if just upgrade receipt is valid enough but fully paid receipt is best I think).

is an upgrade receipt enough to prove to get it unblacklisted if in future it becomes blacklisted?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants