Buying Mobiles from China/Eglobal

Found 4th Jul
Hi, I'm looking at buying a Nokia from eglobal for £175. Not really something I usually do, but can't get the white one with 64GB/4GB Ram in the UK.

Will it work with a UK Sim? Anything I need to watch out for, i.e. import fees?

It's £7 more from Toby deals so didn't know whether people preferred them?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
good luck, 1 out of every 5 purchases is delivered.
davewave33 s ago

good luck, 1 out of every 5 purchases is delivered.

Proof?
superfreddy7 m ago

Proof?

Search gearbest in discussions
If you can afford to pay the import duties , then lose all your money if it goes wrong (no warranty ,no way of returning ) then go ahead. If it actually arrives you may be lucky .

If you can't afford to risk losing your money then don't even think about it .
Balanced comment: unless changed very recently, this merchant accepts direct credit card payment, which would qualify this item for UK-based and UK-enforceable S75 protection where the credit card co is legally obliged to assume the obligations of the merchant and you never need to contact the merchant again after you have made your credit card payment. So if it doesn't arrive; is not as described; doesn't perform as described; ever needs the merchant warranty to be serviced; or in this case: you incur import fees when EGC openly state that they cover the fees; it is a straightforward S75 claim to your credit card co. No need to consult EGC. No need to return item to China. Simples.
AndyRoyd1 h, 11 m ago

Balanced comment: unless changed very recently, this merchant accepts …Balanced comment: unless changed very recently, this merchant accepts direct credit card payment, which would qualify this item for UK-based and UK-enforceable S75 protection where the credit card co is legally obliged to assume the obligations of the merchant and you never need to contact the merchant again after you have made your credit card payment. So if it doesn't arrive; is not as described; doesn't perform as described; ever needs the merchant warranty to be serviced; or in this case: you incur import fees when EGC openly state that they cover the fees; it is a straightforward S75 claim to your credit card co. No need to consult EGC. No need to return item to China. Simples.

I paid using my credit card but bought from tobydeals instead.
Edited by: "superfreddy" 4th Jul
superfreddy4 m ago

I paid using my credit card but bought from tobydeals instead.

Would appreciate knowing what appears on your credit card statement for this transaction, thanks.
AndyRoyd1 h, 17 m ago

Balanced comment: unless changed very recently, this merchant accepts …Balanced comment: unless changed very recently, this merchant accepts direct credit card payment, which would qualify this item for UK-based and UK-enforceable S75 protection where the credit card co is legally obliged to assume the obligations of the merchant and you never need to contact the merchant again after you have made your credit card payment. So if it doesn't arrive; is not as described; doesn't perform as described; ever needs the merchant warranty to be serviced; or in this case: you incur import fees when EGC openly state that they cover the fees; it is a straightforward S75 claim to your credit card co. No need to consult EGC. No need to return item to China. Simples.

And you can of course you can confirm that S75 protection works with these Chinese sellers ? That is you have personally had a successful claim ?

Even the "pro Chinese seller " brigade on here say that S75 protection is worthless with these sellers and advise paying by Paypal so at least you stand a small chance of getting your money back for non arrival or DOA . Of course neither of these methods of payment offer any warranty as the seller themselves do not offer any sort of binding warranty .

It would be helpful if you did not repeat urban myths, that you haven't tested yourself , thus maybe encouraging members to take risks they perhaps cannot afford to take .
rogparki20 m ago

And you can of course you can confirm that S75 protection works with these …And you can of course you can confirm that S75 protection works with these Chinese sellers ? That is you have personally had a successful claim ?Even the "pro Chinese seller " brigade on here say that S75 protection is worthless with these sellers and advise paying by Paypal so at least you stand a small chance of getting your money back for non arrival or DOA . Of course neither of these methods of payment offer any warranty as the seller themselves do not offer any sort of binding warranty .It would be helpful if you did not repeat urban myths, that you haven't tested yourself , thus maybe encouraging members to take risks they perhaps cannot afford to take .

S75 "works" when each single item is valued over £100 value and the credit card payment is effected directly to the merchant. Applies to any such qualifying purchase regardless of merchant location. Tis law; you've previously read the legal interpretation by various credible consumer groups such as Which & MSE based on the legislation at legislation.gov.uk/ukp…/75 but you choose to dismiss it. Your choice is respected.
Personal preference when there is an option would be to use credit card S75 rather than PayPal, one example reasoning in this thread: hotukdeals.com/dis…601
AndyRoyd3 m ago

S75 "works" when each single item is valued over £100 value and the …S75 "works" when each single item is valued over £100 value and the payment is effected directly to the merchant. Applies to any such qualifying purchase regardless of merchant location. Tis law; you've previously read the legal interpretation by various credible consumer groups such as Which & MSE based on the legislation at https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/75 but you choose to dismiss it. Your choice is respected. Personal preference when there is an option would be to use credit card S75 rather than PayPal, one example reasoning in this thread: https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/geekbuying-sent-the-wrong-phone-2975601

So you have read the legal theory - but not tried it yourself . So you are giving advice based on urban myths - Nuff said
rogparki6 h, 33 m ago

So you have read the legal theory - but not tried it yourself . So …So you have read the legal theory - but not tried it yourself . So you are giving advice based on urban myths - Nuff said

Often see definition confusion between "advice" and "opinion" on this forum. I doubt our differences of opinion will have changed much from the kinda dull debate we had last year.
I've bought from eglobal once before and had no issues, however this was a camera lens. I've read many many reviews about this company since and most negative reviews seem focused on people that were buying mobile phones.

Google eglobal reviews for yourself and then you can decide if you wish to go ahead.

uk.trustpilot.com/rev….uk
I tried S75 once, the bank linked to the credit card sent me a 5 page form to fill in and what i was required to do beforehand(exhaust companies internal complaints process) which included a log of all the action i had tried before plus evidence(printouts), i gave up and i would have made a really good attempt at as £100 quid is hard earned, but that was 3 years ago things may be easier
sido6th Jul

I tried S75 once, the bank linked to the credit card sent me a 5 page form …I tried S75 once, the bank linked to the credit card sent me a 5 page form to fill in and what i was required to do beforehand(exhaust companies internal complaints process) which included a log of all the action i had tried before plus evidence(printouts), i gave up and i would have made a really good attempt at as £100 quid is hard earned, but that was 3 years ago things may be easier

I experienced similar delay tactic. Simply ignored the ridiculous request, sent CCC a 7 day notice by certificated posting (not signed for) to reg office inc summary of the issue & copy of S75 legislation that CCC was obligated to perform. Didn't receive a reply so simply issued MCOL claim. CCC contacted me few days later, settled in full, paid the minimal MCOL fee & told me to dispose of the kit as I felt fit. Sold it on Gumtree as busted, got about £30 for it. Reasonably straightforward result without any requirement to write life story or attend Chinglish lessons.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants