Groups

buying my first drill

Iv never bought a drill before, no idea what I'm looking for but I need one to put up a wall bracket for my tv. Any recommendations for less than £30? Thanks

26 Comments

edit- I was thinking cordless only when i posted.

Personally I would consider spending the extra and getting yourself an 18v. See what you can get in either Dewalt, Makita or Bosch.
    Edited by: "Maverick77" 17th Feb

Bosch Psv 680 posted on here today

fonzie2107

Bosch Psv 680 posted on here today

​Great price for a Bosch as long as you don't mind corded.

Is the wall hollow when u tap it or completely solid like a block wall?

Original Poster

barneyonion

Is the wall hollow when u tap it or completely solid like a block wall?

It seems to be rock hard?

Original Poster

Maverick77

​Great price for a Bosch as long as you don't mind corded.

Not too bothered if it's corded, just need something that's suitable for a beginner

If its a solid wall you will need a hammer drill. Amazon has some good deals with Black n Decker Lithium cordless at the moment, you can pick up a compact for about £35 or a cordless hammer drill for £50

kingcave89

It seems to be rock hard?

Thats good - its easier to hang stuff on a block or brick wall. I just use the cheapo no brand corded drills from argos and they have been fine. If u get one with a hammer action it will make it easier to get through block.

Original Poster

barneyonion

Thats good - its easier to hang stuff on a block or brick wall. I just … Thats good - its easier to hang stuff on a block or brick wall. I just use the cheapo no brand corded drills from argos and they have been fine. If u get one with a hammer action it will make it easier to get through block.

So would you say the Bosch offer from bandq is ideal for me?

Personally if you are going to use it rarely corded is better no hanging around for it to charge. Just check out screw fix or argos and get a cheap hammer drill around 15 to 20 quid

argos.co.uk/pro…062

screwfix.com/p/e…423

Don't forget your drill bits

argos.co.uk/pro…582

Or wall plugs

To be fair that bosch deal is hot, just get that
    Edited by: "Daniboy" 17th Feb

Daniboy

Personally if you are going to use it rarely corded is better no hanging … Personally if you are going to use it rarely corded is better no hanging around for it to charge. Just check out screw fix or argos and get a cheap hammer drill around 15 to 20 quidhttp://www.argos.co.uk/product/7106062http://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb463drl-710w-percussion-drill-230-240v/99423Don't forget your drill bits http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3329582Or wall plugsTo be fair that bosch deal is hot, just get that

You sir have common sense and I agree fully with your comment

If you are going to be a DIY hobbyist or tradesman then you'll need something to last.

If you are going to do the odd job around the house - I've had the Argos (£16.99) for maybe 5 years uesd twice worked last time just fine

Maverick77

edit- I was thinking cordless only when i posted.Personally I would … edit- I was thinking cordless only when i posted.Personally I would consider spending the extra and getting yourself an 18v. See what you can get in either Dewalt, Makita or Bosch.

Why would you recommend tradesman tools for someone who obviously only ever going to do very minimal work personally OP almost any corded drill from Argos will do that job and many more after.

personally I think you should call someone in to fit the bracket for you

With power tools you get what you pay for. I bought a black & decker drill about 10 years ago, and it very very rarely got used. 12 months later, batteries wouldn't hold charge and the drill was dead. Then treat myself to a dewalt - it's never let me down and has lasted 5x longer than the black & decker and is still going strong.
    Also just remembered I had an Aldi bought one which went the same way as the black & decker.
    Cheap drills are false economy.

Which if you buy a cheap cordlesd drill (or even a not so cheap drill tbh) then like any battery driven product, especially NiCd, the batteries will fail eventually. For general household use then as already stated a cheap corded drill is way to go

if I was you I'd ditch the drill and buy no nails. no need for bracket too. stick the Tele straight to the wall no hanky panky and job done. have a nice beer and watch the footy. trust me this is a cracking idea.

I dispute any negative Ni-Cd comments as i had a cheap Makita Set Drill that cost me £89 9 years ago and it was still going strong last year when i sold it on. When you talk DIY its not about how much the drills or batteries will do for you for the money, its about what you want out of the drill and for how long. I looked after my drill through 2 house builds and several jobs every week so the drill looked after me. Ive used a £12 angle grinder for the last 7 years because it does what I need it to do and i dont throw it about or try and cut through an iron ore mine with it, just do what its limitations explain it to do. People slate cheap machines because their expectations are too high for them but then throw recognition around for more expensive gear just because their crapping themselves that if they misuse this one they have an expense at hand.
    As Daniboy said get the cheap, look after it and it will do you endless jobs now and then when you need it.
    PS. Black and Decker produce Dewalt, B&D and Stanley FatMax drills

123ZAN

if I was you I'd ditch the drill and buy no nails. no need for bracket … if I was you I'd ditch the drill and buy no nails. no need for bracket too. stick the Tele straight to the wall no hanky panky and job done. have a nice beer and watch the footy. trust me this is a cracking idea.

haha could have said Plasterboard adhesive, its much stronger X)

Average use of a drill is less than 20 minutes during it's lifetime for Joe Public.

bigweapon07

I dispute any negative Ni-Cd comments as i had a cheap Makita Set Drill … I dispute any negative Ni-Cd comments as i had a cheap Makita Set Drill that cost me £89 9 years ago and it was still going strong last year when i sold it on. When you talk DIY its not about how much the drills or batteries will do for you for the money, its about what you want out of the drill and for how long. I looked after my drill through 2 house builds and several jobs every week so the drill looked after me. Ive used a £12 angle grinder for the last 7 years because it does what I need it to do and i dont throw it about or try and cut through an iron ore mine with it, just do what its limitations explain it to do. People slate cheap machines because their expectations are too high for them but then throw recognition around for more expensive gear just because their crapping themselves that if they misuse this one they have an expense at hand.As Daniboy said get the cheap, look after it and it will do you endless jobs now and then when you need it.PS. Black and Decker produce Dewalt, B&D and Stanley FatMax drills

NiCd are fine if used regularly. But for a casual Diy'er they'll probably get 1 or 2 uses.... leave for 6 months and find it dead and not charging or able to hold charge for more than 5 mins.

Would recommend corded as many have or an 18v Li-on drill. NiCd is definitely false economy for infrequent use. I've thrown out 3 before I understood this.

if i didn't already have a corded and 18v cordless drill i'd be writing this from B+Q, great deal.

u will need get a corded one if u got a solid wall as for 30 quid u will struggle buying a brand new cordless drill that will be upto it. and go for a sds instead of the normal type easier to use and the bits are better and even the cheapest one should be able to do that job the really cheap non ads at around 6 or 7 quid may not be able to do the job u want.

well yes and no at 89 quid that's not a cheap drill.i would accept it to last I got a cheap cordless drill and the issue is the battery packs are so bad I'm talking about really cheap like under 10 quid ones from argos I think it was called challenge 14v volts but it wouldn't screw a scew into a window frame and the battery life just went down within a couple of months. when it comes to battery operated tools the battery needs to be at least a decent one otherwise the thing is basically useless same as the fake batteries of ebay they charge in half the time and discharge 1/4 time .

If your thinking of getting any flat pack furniture in the future a battery drill is worth its weight in gold. Li-on drill.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851337
      2. Vegan (Non-Dairy) Ben & Jerrys now launched in UK!1827
      3. Apples new update610
      4. Any PS4 News Here29313799

See more discussions