Buying Nintendo Switch in Japan

Posted 9th Dec 2019
Hi,
Are there any problems with buying a switch from a shop in Japan and bringing it back to the UK?

I understand that the switch is "Region free". But will there be any difficulties with registering a UK Nintendo account to it when I get it home (and also changing the language!)

Cheers.
Community Updates
Buying From Abroad

Groups

9 Comments
Just curious, how does the price of a Switch in Japan compare to that in the UK?
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 9th Dec 2019
Haircut_10009/12/2019 12:34

Just curious, how does the price of a Switch in Japan compare to that in …Just curious, how does the price of a Switch in Japan compare to that in the UK?

Not sure yet. My wife announced yesterday that santa needed to find a switch (one week after BF!), but a friend is in Japan at the moment, so he is going to keep an eye out for a deal.
Rune_2H09/12/2019 12:29

Comment deleted

Thanks, I presumed the warranty wouldn't be valid from Japan. But it is useful to know that there is a european warranty, so the target price in Japan needs to be a good bit cheaper than this:
hotukdeals.com/dea…039
chrisst17009/12/2019 12:40

Not sure yet. My wife announced yesterday that santa needed to find a …Not sure yet. My wife announced yesterday that santa needed to find a switch (one week after BF!), but a friend is in Japan at the moment, so he is going to keep an eye out for a deal.

must be a very good friend if they're prepared to put a reasonably large box (in comparison) in their luggae.
paulj4809/12/2019 12:48

must be a very good friend if they're prepared to put a reasonably large …must be a very good friend if they're prepared to put a reasonably large box (in comparison) in their luggae.

Hmm, is it a big box? He's only got hand luggage
chrisst17009/12/2019 12:54

Hmm, is it a big box? He's only got hand luggage

only about the size of a shoe box but a substantial extra for traveling with , if he's only got hand luggage wont you have to pay VAT unless he disregards all the retail packaging?
paulj4809/12/2019 12:57

only about the size of a shoe box but a substantial extra for traveling …only about the size of a shoe box but a substantial extra for traveling with , if he's only got hand luggage wont you have to pay VAT unless he disregards all the retail packaging?

Think I'd better pay for a bag for him if he can find a good deal :-/
No problem registering account set to any country. And free to set & change console to any language The only thing would be the warranty as others have said. Switch RRP is cheaper in Japan ¥32,978 (including their 10% sales tax). Without tax ¥29,980 compared to UK RRP £279.99 which removing the 20% VAT shows £233.33. Maybe worth bearing in mind that if you ever did want to buy an official Nintendo UK AC adapter they cost £24.99
jco8309/12/2019 13:31

No problem registering account set to any country. And free to set & …No problem registering account set to any country. And free to set & change console to any language The only thing would be the warranty as others have said. Switch RRP is cheaper in Japan ¥32,978 (including their 10% sales tax). Without tax ¥29,980 compared to UK RRP £279.99 which removing the 20% VAT shows £233.33. Maybe worth bearing in mind that if you ever did want to buy an official Nintendo UK AC adapter they cost £24.99

Thanks for that, really useful, so not a massive saving over the Amazon France deal...which I preordered this morning as a backup as it was out of stock. However I think it's been dispatched now, so better stand him down now... otherwise I'll have a JDM switch for sale!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions