Buying of ebay usa

Posted 17th Jan
If you buy something like a bag from USA ebay, is there UK duty/taxes to pay?

Any idea how much this could be or how its calculated? Is it just UK VAT rate of 20%?

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Taxes plus admin charge for items over £15 including delivery even free delivery gets charged. Admin charges for Royal Mail are £8 other companies more expensive. Often cheaper just to by it here
If it’s part of eBay global you can prepay i think or message the seller I made an offer on an item to bring it below the minimum which was good
Be wary of any "free" delivery statement by merchant as in the abscence of a itemised delivery fee the courier may state its non-discounted flat fee for the service as a cost reference on the export doc. You may get lucky if the merchant refers to any uncharged / unitemised delivery as "inclusive" rather than free. No issue if a delivery fee is charged and individually itemised.
AndyRoyd17/01/2020 23:18

Be wary of any "free" delivery statement by merchant as in the abscence of …Be wary of any "free" delivery statement by merchant as in the abscence of a itemised delivery fee the courier may state its non-discounted flat fee for the service as a cost reference on the export doc. You may get lucky if the merchant refers to any uncharged / unitemised delivery as "inclusive" rather than free. No issue if a delivery fee is charged and individually itemised.

Why does it matter? VAT on goods and services is the same so you should be paying the VAT if it's £80 goods and £20 delivery as if it's £100 goods with free delivery.
EndlessWaves18/01/2020 11:16

Why does it matter? VAT on goods and services is the same so you should be …Why does it matter? VAT on goods and services is the same so you should be paying the VAT if it's £80 goods and £20 delivery as if it's £100 goods with free delivery.

It matters to avoid the buyer being hit for import fees on a non-existent (but possibly inflated) delivery cost that only appears on the export docs to populate the line that requires a positive amount for the carriage cost.
In the old days you could get items from ebay US with lesser risk of Customs nabbing it - used to buy from there reasonably regularly. For at least a few years ebay dot com added a import charge calculation that you pay at checkout. Amazon US is the same.

Personally, I'd try getting the handbag from the UK if you can. Is it a certain handbag you're looking for, OP?
EndlessWaves18/01/2020 11:16

Why does it matter? VAT on goods and services is the same so you should be …Why does it matter? VAT on goods and services is the same so you should be paying the VAT if it's £80 goods and £20 delivery as if it's £100 goods with free delivery.

Here's a real example of why it matters how free delivery is presented on the transport docs: hotukdeals.com/com…832
AndyRoyd17/01/2020 23:18

Be wary of any "free" delivery statement by merchant as in the abscence of …Be wary of any "free" delivery statement by merchant as in the abscence of a itemised delivery fee the courier may state its non-discounted flat fee for the service as a cost reference on the export doc. You may get lucky if the merchant refers to any uncharged / unitemised delivery as "inclusive" rather than free. No issue if a delivery fee is charged and individually itemised.

Just to add for others, this isn’t a concern if the item (or total order) price is under the threshold of £15 as the delivery fee isn’t taking into consideration until that point.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 18th Jan
Biddy218/01/2020 16:38

Just to add for others, this isn’t a concern if the item (or total order) p …Just to add for others, this isn’t a concern if the item (or total order) price is under the threshold of £15 as the delivery fee isn’t taking into consideration until that point.

Minor but critical clarification: item value is under £15, not item price.
AndyRoyd18/01/2020 16:40

Minor but critical clarification: item value is under £15, not item price.

Yep. The value that customs are told an item is worth is what I meant, but I used the wrong word. Value is the correct wording.
Biddy218/01/2020 16:42

Yep. The value that customs are told an item is worth is what I meant, but …Yep. The value that customs are told an item is worth is what I meant, but I used the wrong word. Value is the correct wording.

Minor but critical clarification #02: item value is under £15 as perceived and decreed by HMRC; not the (colourful de)value stated by merchant; not the item price.
AndyRoyd18/01/2020 16:47

Minor but critical clarification #02: item value is under £15 as perceived …Minor but critical clarification #02: item value is under £15 as perceived and decreed by HMRC; not the (colourful de)value stated by merchant; not the item price.

That’s if they suspect it’s been fiddled with though, as tends to happen with items from China. 90% of the time, they take the value wrote on the package as gospel. I certainly didn’t have any issue with my latest import which was at least 50% off compared to UK prices.
AndyRoyd18/01/2020 16:29

Here's a real example of why it matters how free delivery is presented on …Here's a real example of why it matters how free delivery is presented on the transport docs: https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/39446832

That case was simply an incorrect amount declared rather than anything to do with splitting the value between delivery and item costs correctly.

Although it does matter if the total is around £15 since the limit applies to goods value rather than total value. A £10 item with £6 delivery would be free of import VAT.
EndlessWaves18/01/2020 17:40

That case was simply an incorrect amount declared rather than anything to …That case was simply an incorrect amount declared rather than anything to do with splitting the value between delivery and item costs correctly. Although it does matter if the total is around £15 since the limit applies to goods value rather than total value. A £10 item with £6 delivery would be free of import VAT.

The issue resulted from the merchant not stating the (free) delivery value separately, as a real cost, hence the tip posted earlier in this thread.
louiselouise18/01/2020 14:32

In the old days you could get items from ebay US with lesser risk of …In the old days you could get items from ebay US with lesser risk of Customs nabbing it - used to buy from there reasonably regularly. For at least a few years ebay dot com added a import charge calculation that you pay at checkout. Amazon US is the same.Personally, I'd try getting the handbag from the UK if you can. Is it a certain handbag you're looking for, OP?

Its a coach reversible tote which is not sold in the uk and even in the USA its an old version hence why can only buy off resale site.
ran123ran18/01/2020 20:18

Its a coach reversible tote which is not sold in the uk and even in the …Its a coach reversible tote which is not sold in the uk and even in the USA its an old version hence why can only buy off resale site.

TK Maxx might be the best bet, they had loads of Coach items online, but of course it's not always a reflection of what you can find in store. I've seen things in stores I've not found online and vice versa.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 18th Jan
ran123ran18/01/2020 20:18

Its a coach reversible tote which is not sold in the uk and even in the …Its a coach reversible tote which is not sold in the uk and even in the USA its an old version hence why can only buy off resale site.

I take it you've seen this (don't think your tote is on here, though) hotukdeals.com/vou…030
louiselouise25/01/2020 14:49

I take it you've seen this (don't think your tote is on here, though) …I take it you've seen this (don't think your tote is on here, though) https://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/70-off-coach-50-ongoing-sale-with-20-extra-code-3395030

Thanks, had already seen that but bag i am after is not on there.
I contacted coach to see if the bag i am after is obsolete or specificly for sale in certain countries but they have not bothered with a response.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants