Buying on gumtree - buying long distance items to be posted

Found 1st Apr 2012
I've just been on gumtree and seen an iPad 2 for sale. The seller has advertised they are happy to post out via UPS but the don't have a Paypal account.

She has emailed me a picture of her bank card, elec statement and bank statement, with bank details for me to pay the money into.

Stupid question, and I am ready for the onslaught... Should I do it? If she doesn't send me the iPad, do I have any comeback at all??
Community Updates
27 Comments
no come back, she can show you what she likes, means jack
Send her the same details and see if she is willing to post before payment.....
How hard is it to set up a Paypal account, I can't remember, I set mine up so long ago. Would it take her long to do it?
love_a_bargain

How hard is it to set up a Paypal account, I can't remember, I set mine … How hard is it to set up a Paypal account, I can't remember, I set mine up so long ago. Would it take her long to do it?

and how exactly would that cover you for her sending something of the same weight as an ipad
love_a_bargain

How hard is it to set up a Paypal account, I can't remember, I set mine … How hard is it to set up a Paypal account, I can't remember, I set mine up so long ago. Would it take her long to do it?

OP I have 2 ipads I can sell you for the same price ?
I have photos of my bank card & bank statements & I also have paypal.
PM asap for this once in a lifetime deal.
Edited by: "WheresMeNuts" 1st Apr 2012
Don't do it!!
whatsThePoint

same way it covers you on ebay, you just claim item not as described

oh really, since when?
sassie

and how exactly would that cover you for her sending something of the … and how exactly would that cover you for her sending something of the same weight as an ipad

Man I'm stupid!! Thanks everyone. Feeling very silly now
love_a_bargain

Man I'm stupid!! Thanks everyone. Feeling very silly now

better to feel a little silly now than after losing a few hundred quid
sassie

oh really, since when?

Even if the seller sent a brick,paypal would still cover you.
Not worth the risk imO
Has paypal changed then, it only used to cover items not delivered and not items not as described when the deal was not an ebay one.
paypal and protection is pretty much down to paypal, they offer seller protection and buyer protection, now if a seller sells and ipad and sends a brick you are saying they would side with the buyer, now if a seller sells an ipad and sends a brand new one and buyer says they received a brick then they side with buyer, so people bank on being protected as a buyer by a company that advertised protection for both seller and buyer, when infact they dont, i know what i would rather do in this case, and that is not take my chances on who paypal will side with
sassie

paypal and protection is pretty much down to paypal, they offer seller … paypal and protection is pretty much down to paypal, they offer seller protection and buyer protection, now if a seller sells and ipad and sends a brick you are saying they would side with the buyer, now if a seller sells an ipad and sends a brand new one and buyer says they received a brick then they side with buyer, so people bank on being protected as a buyer by a company that advertised protection for both seller and buyer, when infact they dont, i know what i would rather do in this case, and that is not take my chances on who paypal will side with

Paypal 9/10 side with buyer & so with OP being the buyer they would get a refund,but it's Gumtree & that means Scam.
WheresMeNuts

Paypal 9/10 side with buyer & so with OP being the buyer they would get a … Paypal 9/10 side with buyer & so with OP being the buyer they would get a refund,but it's Gumtree & that means Scam.

so there is no way you think the op could be the 1% buyer then
Not a chance of losing out if the OP follows Paypals rules & could always ask the seller for Lanline number for extra measures.
The OP knows deep down knows the price is very cheap & the saying "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is"
lol do let us know op
I would feel happier if I could do it through Paypal, as they have settled a dispute with me in the past that was outside of ebay. I have asked if I could collect as my husband is near the area tomorrow but she is working... She seems keen to arrange another collection day though. Hmmmm, too risky methinks.
I have bought loads of times on gumtree without any problems...I have always used BT as well and paid upfront. have I just been lucky then?
love_a_bargain

I would feel happier if I could do it through Paypal, as they have … I would feel happier if I could do it through Paypal, as they have settled a dispute with me in the past that was outside of ebay. I have asked if I could collect as my husband is near the area tomorrow but she is working... She seems keen to arrange another collection day though. Hmmmm, too risky methinks.

OP the Seller is 100% Scammer & no matter what day you offer to pay cash on collection the seller will be busy.Bull seller.
yy126962

I have bought loads of times on gumtree without any problems...I have … I have bought loads of times on gumtree without any problems...I have always used BT as well and paid upfront. have I just been lucky then?

Probably. I have done the same loads of times myself, but not for high value items. I don't mind risking for a fiver or a tenner here or there. But this is nearly £300 so I am a bit twitchy!!
yy126962

I have bought loads of times on gumtree without any problems...I have … I have bought loads of times on gumtree without any problems...I have always used BT as well and paid upfront. have I just been lucky then?

Geez one born every minute.
Is she Nigerian Royalty by any chance? If she is, you have no bother at all. Best off giving her your card details and let her do it herself. She is very trust worthy.
WheresMeNuts

OP the Seller is 100% Scammer & no matter what day you offer to pay cash … OP the Seller is 100% Scammer & no matter what day you offer to pay cash on collection the seller will be busy.Bull seller.

Well she said after 6pm on Tuesday but this is a little late for my OH. He be back home by lunchtime so he can't hang around all day. So she has shown a little willing...
She has just emailed to say she will set up a Paypal account, and asked me to delete her details that she emailed across earlier... She does seem pretty nervous about me having her details.
Cash on collection would be best for both of you.
sassie

lol do let us know op

Thought I'd give it a go, as I believed I would be covered by PayPal... It was a scam, (surprise surprise) but thankfully I was covered by Paypal. So haven't lost out, but do feel a bit sheepish. Went to Comet in the end and bought one from there, buy now, pay in 9 months. Awesome!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions