Buying on Gumtree... help please.

Found 15th Jul
Hi all

I'm buying an Xbox one X from someone local on Gumtree and they are happy to deliver it today for me. Says only been opened once just to make sure it works and in perfect condition etc. Has been posting for 11 months and has other items for sale. Selling it for £350 which isn't unreasonable or stupidly cheap. says only takes cash or bank transfer.

Now... what protection do I have if I turn this on and it doesn't work or something like that? I'm just worried as it's a lot of money still.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Just to add that I always smell a rat when someone mentions that it’s only been opened to test and used once...
36 Comments
I would ask him to show the warranty on thr M$ page and also maybe ask for receipt to go with the purchase.

To be fair you can probably get a better priced X if you hang about on here.
FUAARRKK1 m ago

I would ask him to show the warranty on thr M$ page and also maybe ask for …I would ask him to show the warranty on thr M$ page and also maybe ask for receipt to go with the purchase. To be fair you can probably get a better priced X if you hang about on here.

Could you explain what you mean by show warranty? He just replied saying he doesn't have the receipt for it anymore
Can't you try it before you hand over the cash? You really don't have any comeback on gumtree, I wouldn't buy without trying it first
Well I hope you are not daft enough to send the money via bank transfer for a start!

With the amount of problems I have read regarding gumtree sales, I wouldn’t shop on there and would rather trust eBay or a proper shop for a second hand electrical item.
Edited by: "karlypants" 15th Jul
I wouldn't buy it without the original receipt...how much is for new?
Just to add that I always smell a rat when someone mentions that it’s only been opened to test and used once...
I see, thanks guys I was getting nervous about it myself and haven't given him my address yet
Local but he's delivering it, nah leave it or pick it up and make sure it's all set up working. No receipt either hmm i would pass, not as if it's rare.
I would bet if you bought it you would probably be on here soon after complaining you have been ripped off and asking how to get your money back
Edited by: "caverncity" 15th Jul
karlypants4 m ago

Just to add that I always smell a rat when someone mentions that it’s only …Just to add that I always smell a rat when someone mentions that it’s only been opened to test and used once...

Originally said it was unopened but then said sorry it has been opened but only to test it as someone else was interested too
caverncity6 m ago

Local but he's delivering it, nah leave it or pick it up and make sure …Local but he's delivering it, nah leave it or pick it up and make sure it's all set up working. No receipt either hmm i would pass, not as if it's rare.I would bet if you bought it you would probably be on here soon after complaining you have been ripped off and asking how to get your money back

In all fairness I ask for delivery as I don't have a car lmao
Just make sure you get proof of purchase to claim warranty.
ArcAndPie28 m ago

Could you explain what you mean by show warranty? He just replied saying …Could you explain what you mean by show warranty? He just replied saying he doesn't have the receipt for it anymore

You can search for how much warranty a console has left by using the S/N on microsoft device page. Though I would probably avoid it without a receipt.
saphiryman3 m ago

Just make sure you get proof of purchase to claim warranty.

I've got another guy on Facebook market here who says it's completely unopened for £360 sent me pictures of this big pack he won it from NatWest competition apparently, says he already has an Xbox one X so doesn't need this one and says he doesn't have a receipt because if he did he would just simply return the item and get money back etc... What do I ask lmao
Amazon Prime day tomorrow.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 15th Jul
RiverDragon839 s ago

Amazon Prime day tomorrow.

Are they really going to have brand new Xbox one X going for under £350 though? Maybe £399
ArcAndPie9 m ago

Are they really going to have brand new Xbox one X going for under £350 …Are they really going to have brand new Xbox one X going for under £350 though? Maybe £399

They're going to be brand new, you've to wait until tomorrow to see how much they go for. If you're that apprehensive/scared/paranoid buying off gumtree then wait for tomorrow.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 15th Jul
RiverDragon82 m ago

They're going to be brand new, you've to wait until tomorrow to see how …They're going to be brand new, you've to wait until tomorrow to see how much they go for. If your that scared/paranoid buying off gumtree then wait for tomorrow.

Yep, I agree. Wait for Prime Day, it might drop to £399 but you get a brand new console with Amazon's warranty and Microsoft's too.
Why would anyone need a brand new, sealed console opened to test it?
Cex are selling them boxed for £375, so paying £350 off someone via gumtree possibly without a warranty doesn’t seem that good to me
jamie01525 m ago

Yep, I agree. Wait for Prime Day, it might drop to £399 but you get a …Yep, I agree. Wait for Prime Day, it might drop to £399 but you get a brand new console with Amazon's warranty and Microsoft's too.

I agree,I personally would rather spend an extra £50 for the peace of mind of a brand new console with warranty and receipt. I know £50 may be alot but you'd kick yourself if two month down the line you have an issue with console and no reciept.
Unless you Facebook seller shows you an actual sealed box then wait until tomorrow.
Edited by: "ndksamb" 15th Jul
ndksamb34 m ago

I agree,I personally would rather spend an extra £50 for the peace of mind …I agree,I personally would rather spend an extra £50 for the peace of mind of a brand new console with warranty and receipt. I know £50 may be alot but you'd kick yourself if two month down the line you have an issue with console and no reciept.Unless you Facebook seller shows you an actual sealed box then wait until tomorrow.

Also, I wouldn't buy something so expensive from Facebook/Gumtree etc. because there is always the chance the seller will be a thief who will mug you of your £350. Amazon is safer!
Yenyoc1 h, 3 m ago

Why would anyone need a brand new, sealed console opened to test it?

New stuff can be faulty you know, albeit rare, atleast you know what you've sold was working before you handed it over.
350? Don't bother.
master105 m ago

New stuff can be faulty you know, albeit rare, atleast you know what …New stuff can be faulty you know, albeit rare, atleast you know what you've sold was working before you handed it over.

Correct, very rare but for example the goods could have broke in transit and without checking you'll never know.

From my time working in mobile phone industry there's plenty of parents who bought their children new iPhones for Christmas, never open them and then on Christmas get an upset as they broke in transit - but can't return them as they got delivered weeks before!
Try schpock, i use it all the time.

Can pay via paypal or cash.

Gumtree, i would want to go to the sellers house and see it working.
Ask the seller if you can see it set up and working when he delivers it, a genuine seller would be happy to give you a quick demo imo, if he makes excuses why he cant then i would move on.
Gumtree ,Chinese sellers - for every 5 times you save £20 you'll be scammed twice - why do folks even bother buying technology from these places ?
Just to update people the Facebook seller who won it on a NatWest competition (legit competition if you look it up), came here with the Xbox and FIFA 18 both fully sealed for £360.

He insisted he came in and watch me open it and set it up etc and was more then happy to accept PayPal payment.

Like a child at Christmas rn. Selling FIFA as I'm not bothered about itz to make it even cheaper. Everything fully sealed and wrapped. Genuine nice guy! Happy ending. (No, not that kind!).
still have a butchers at the S/N on the microsoft website. If it indeed is brand new it'll have 12 months ms warranty from when its on.
FUAARRKK13 m ago

still have a butchers at the S/N on the microsoft website. If it indeed is …still have a butchers at the S/N on the microsoft website. If it indeed is brand new it'll have 12 months ms warranty from when its on.

Yep says warranty until 20th August 2019 - although technical support ends soon?
ArcAndPie33 m ago

Yep says warranty until 20th August 2019 - although technical support ends …Yep says warranty until 20th August 2019 - although technical support ends soon?

Have a look at the manufacture date at the back. Will say the month-year
FUAARRKK15 m ago

Have a look at the manufacture date at the back. Will say the month-year

Think it says 29th November -2017 , which seems alright I guess? I have no idea lol
ArcAndPie55 s ago

Think it says 29th November -2017 , which seems alright I guess? I have no …Think it says 29th November -2017 , which seems alright I guess? I have no idea lol

Just double check with the xbox chat agent they can usually confirm if its all fine.
Ask him if you can collect from their home address. If they don’t want you to collect and know where they live something is dodgey.
RiverDragon86 h, 45 m ago

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-one-x-forza-7-360-with-code-from-10am-ao-ebay-2985323

Got mine for the same price then just FIFA 18 instead of Forza 7 haha! Good stuff
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions