Buying or Selling on here ? Well read this regarding lost parcel claim against Royal Mail

Ok a fair few weeks back I sold an item on here,just a used childs toy,V Smile Pocket and a couple games,my buyer offered me £30 for it,this included delivery,so I sent it as normal and I obtained my proof of postage.
Buyer never received item,I said well check down at depot cos they don't always leave cards and still nothing,so we waited about 15 or 16 working days since posting and then I placed a claim.
I printed off the thread pages,showing the item,and showing the buyer offering £30,I also enclosed the proof of postage ( scanned and copied the receipt onto computer aswell as showed my buyer it via photobucket ) I also printed off the Paypal transaction page too. Basically I did the claim as how I done the ones in the past for eBay,I know all the information they want as it's not the 1st time I have had to place a claim for lost/damaged items.
Anyway buyer contacts me today about it,and I say I'll give Royal Mail a call and make sure things are progressing. They have the claim but there going be a problem processing it, why ? because I can't prove what the item was worth to me. I said well it an used item,it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.It's unwanted item etc etc.

Anyway they started saying about if I'm making a profit and that we can't refund any profit,they started going on about an example of someone buying something for £100 and selling it on eBay for £500,so that be £400 profit ( well less ripoff fees.. but they don't care about that ) and therefore Royal Mail can only pay out £100 as that what it was worth to you.
What a hassle this is,anyway they calling me up tomorrow and getting the paperwork out,I've told my buyer by PM,and if I not hear anything by 4pm,I will call up.
They also said that if they can't do nothing with claim like reimbursement then the buyer is able to claim as the item is worth £30 to them,I said well thats silly cos I already done all the paperwork this end.
Anyone else had this with a claim on here?
I've not had this kind of bother before when making a claim for lost item on eBay,and really this is no different just a different website we trading on.It as been a while since I made a claim,we talking last year since likely.

31 Comments

I sold some Nike trainers on eBay for £25 and they went missing. I filled in the form but am worried that they will ask me to prove how much the trainers were worth to me, whereas I sent them the eBay page where the buyer paid me £25 for them.

Also, do you know if RM refund the postage charge I paid (£3.57)?

Thanks

Original Poster

Mrs.Z;5282757

I sold some Nike trainers on eBay for £25 and they went missing. I filled … I sold some Nike trainers on eBay for £25 and they went missing. I filled in the form but am worried that they will ask me to prove how much the trainers were worth to me, whereas I sent them the eBay page where the buyer paid me £25 for them.Also, do you know if RM refund the postage charge I paid (£3.57)?Thanks

It's been ages since i sold anything on eBay but when I've done claims before,they paid out the auction price plus the postage stated on the listing page. Some people however have reported that they onyl get the auction/buy it now price back,and others have said they paid out the auction/buy it now price plus the postage amount to send them there,so if £2.50 to send and you charged £4,they would only send £2.50 on top of your buyers price.
However I not had a problem with an ebay claim but it's making a big difference just for selling on here when it's same type of thing.

i sent a present to my mum once when she lived in spain and it got "lost" postie couldnt be bothered putting it in mailbox and left it on shelf for a passing thief as part of it was found round the corner lol. i had got the item in a sale but i got reinbursed the amount it would cost me to replace the item and as it couldnt be bought at the sale price as sale was over they refunded me the cost that it was now. i would say that if you can show that even second hand it is well worth £30 as they are £60ish new and thats without games that sounds a very fair amount and they are getting off easy. the fact is that it is worth £30 to you as that is what you will be down if this doesnt get resolved. perhaps find a couple of ebay items that are similar price to show the value of the item. good luck
corinne
corinne

Item has intrinsic value (with additional evidence) Postage refund plus compensation on basis of the customer’s actual loss. This compensation is subject to the maximum payable being the lower of the market value of the item and the maximum level of compensation purchased

From the Royalmail website

Original Poster

rosalie;5282791

i sent a present to my mum once when she lived in spain and it got "lost" … i sent a present to my mum once when she lived in spain and it got "lost" postie couldnt be bothered putting it in mailbox and left it on shelf for a passing thief as part of it was found round the corner lol. i had got the item in a sale but i got reinbursed the amount it would cost me to replace the item and as it couldnt be bought at the sale price as sale was over they refunded me the cost that it was now. i would say that if you can show that even second hand it is well worth £30 as they are £60ish new and thats without games that sounds a very fair amount and they are getting off easy. the fact is that it is worth £30 to you as that is what you will be down if this doesnt get resolved. perhaps find a couple of ebay items that are similar price to show the value of the item. good luckcorinnecorinne

Yeh they going look at it more,I'm hoping cos not exactly a dear item that it get passed on and they just send out a cheque and I can sort my buyer out,rather than herself having to do it cos afterall I done all the paperwork etc.

Original Poster

busfan001;5282797

Item has intrinsic value (with additional evidence) Postage refund plus … Item has intrinsic value (with additional evidence) Postage refund plus compensation on basis of the customer’s actual loss. This compensation is subject to the maximum payable being the lower of the market value of the item and the maximum level of compensation purchasedFrom the Royalmail website

I don't really understand any of that.

I was told to refund the buyer before the claim had been settled, apparantly thats the "in" thing on here, to save them having to wait.

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy;5283137

I was told to refund the buyer before the claim had been settled, … I was told to refund the buyer before the claim had been settled, apparantly thats the "in" thing on here, to save them having to wait.

Well Royal Mail will have to sort it out as i've done all I can this end,or buyer will need make their own claim if Royal Mail won't deal with it.

Hardly worth the bother,I've got tons of stuff,just odds and ends,I might aswell bin it all,I can't be bothered with likes of eBay anymore and I no1 to help out getting me pitched on a boot fair.

The buyer can't make a claim with Royal Mail for an item that you posted, you are the customer with Royal Mail and only you can make a claim for compensation.
It seems strange that they are taking such a stance for a low value item with proof of value. When making a claim for items sold through E-Bay they are happy to accept the purchase price as the item value.

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy;5283482

Read this thread....http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/400604/were-do-i-stand/

Right,it's all mixed what people think should be done.

Don't think I'll bother again as most people ain't wanting to pay 72p extra for recorded or likes of Special Delivery when I'm just asking £2 for a comp game or similar.

Buyer can still claim with Royal Mail if there no joy tomorrow.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5283459

Well Royal Mail will have to sort it out as i've done all I can this … Well Royal Mail will have to sort it out as i've done all I can this end,or buyer will need make their own claim if Royal Mail won't deal with it.Hardly worth the bother,I've got tons of stuff,just odds and ends,I might aswell bin it all,I can't be bothered with likes of eBay anymore and I no1 to help out getting me pitched on a boot fair.

Just about everything I feel about this type of attitude is in the thread llm highlighted.

I would love to hear your response if play.com told you that they've done everything they can so you can now deal with it all the while keeping your cash.

Couldn't you have just sent them proof of payment instead?

If the buyer paid by Bank Transfer you can send a print out of your Bank Statement and if Paypal then a copy of the statement there?

Original Poster

pugw$sh;5283534

The buyer can't make a claim with Royal Mail for an item that you posted, … The buyer can't make a claim with Royal Mail for an item that you posted, you are the customer with Royal Mail and only you can make a claim for compensation.It seems strange that they are taking such a stance for a low value item with proof of value. When making a claim for items sold through E-Bay they are happy to accept the purchase price as the item value.

I provided loads of print outs off here,Paypal and the proof of postage,they said the buyer can claim if they can't do anything with it with the claim I submitted.I've always dealt with it myself in past being sender but obviously things got more complicated.

I'll be probably having to find this item online and show how much more they are like £60 for a V Smile Pocket and £15 for each game,a total value of £90 to prove I ain't making any profit.I paid roughly that for it but obviously older and used and more modern things out,I can only sell at a much lower price.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5283544

Right,it's all mixed what people think should be done.Don't think I'll … Right,it's all mixed what people think should be done.Don't think I'll bother again as most people ain't wanting to pay 72p extra for recorded or likes of Special Delivery when I'm just asking £2 for a comp game or similar.Buyer can still claim with Royal Mail if there no joy tomorrow.

the onus is on you the seller to get the item to the buyer its your fault if you never got it sent recorded but again my thoughts are in that thread and I don't want to sound like a broken record.

ants97;5283561

Just about everything I feel about this type of attitude is in the thread … Just about everything I feel about this type of attitude is in the thread llm highlighted. I would love to hear your response if play.com told you that they've done everything they can so you can now deal with it all the while keeping your cash.

So you said last time.....

Original Poster

xsazzyjayx;5283562

Couldn't you have just sent them proof of payment instead?If the buyer … Couldn't you have just sent them proof of payment instead?If the buyer paid by Bank Transfer you can send a print out of your Bank Statement and if Paypal then a copy of the statement there?

I've done all that,they had everything Paypal,the for sale thread,the proof of postage.

Original Poster

ants97;5283581

the onus is on you the seller to get the item to the buyer its your fault … the onus is on you the seller to get the item to the buyer its your fault if you never got it sent recorded but again my thoughts are in that thread and I don't want to sound like a broken record.

As far as i'm concerned once I handed it over the counter it ain't my property no more.

When you bought something online or in a shop,you don't get a refund until you take the item back.

Besides I've had items myself gone missing in post and I have had to wait for the companies to make a claim,i wait patiently,had this happen to me by Gameplay and Attitude Clothing amongst others but they the most recent ones that come to mind where I have had to wait for refund.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5283586

I've done all that,they had everything Paypal,the for sale thread,the … I've done all that,they had everything Paypal,the for sale thread,the proof of postage.

The only claim I've ever made from an item going missing on this site I only sent proof of payment and that was all they needed - granted it took a long time but got there in the end. It seems there are mixed feelings on refunds before a claim is settled. When the lost claim was going on I was under the impression I had to wait until I received money from Royal Mail like I'd always done on ebay but as I say - mixed opinions on that one! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

xsazzyjayx;5283633

The only claim I've ever made from an item going missing on this site I … The only claim I've ever made from an item going missing on this site I only sent proof of payment and that was all they needed - granted it took a long time but got there in the end. It seems there are mixed feelings on refunds before a claim is settled. When the lost claim was going on I was under the impression I had to wait until I received money from Royal Mail like I'd always done on ebay but as I say - mixed opinions on that one! :thumbsup:

Yeh well i just opened this thread upto highlight the fact that ain't as simple to make a claim,least not anymore it seems.
Maybe it help people make a decision if it's really worth selling something for £1 plus postage like many do with their clearouts etc.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5283613

As far as i'm concerned once I handed it over the counter it ain't my … As far as i'm concerned once I handed it over the counter it ain't my property no more.

I think after that comment you may just have lost a few future potential customers. I'm not going to get into this same discussion again so I'll bow out now.

I made a claim for a lost parcel from a sale on here and gave all the relevant info. Didnt hear back for ages then got a letter today with a measly book of stamps as compensation! They said as no proof of value they wont be giving me anything but the stamps to cover postage. Not a happy chappy so ive emailed them and will await a reply!!

Maybe they are really clamping down on compensation claims, hope you get sorted soon xxx

Original Poster

ants97;5283658

I think after that comment you may just have lost a few future potential … I think after that comment you may just have lost a few future potential customers. I'm not going to get into this same discussion again so I'll bow out now.

Ain't going be no more future customers cos not going bother selling here again as I said in another thread,it's not worth the hassle for sake of a cpl quid here and there.

Original Poster

loobie;5283720

I made a claim for a lost parcel from a sale on here and gave all the … I made a claim for a lost parcel from a sale on here and gave all the relevant info. Didnt hear back for ages then got a letter today with a measly book of stamps as compensation! They said as no proof of value they wont be giving me anything but the stamps to cover postage. Not a happy chappy so ive emailed them and will await a reply!!Maybe they are really clamping down on compensation claims, hope you get sorted soon xxx

Yeh it's typical ain't it,I did however have proof of postage.
I hope it's sorted too soon,cos it's the least of the hassle I could do with now.

empty ur inbox!:)

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5283728

Ain't going be no more future customers cos not going bother selling here … Ain't going be no more future customers cos not going bother selling here again as I said in another thread,it's not worth the hassle for sake of a cpl quid here and there.

Awh don't say that. Your feedback speaks for itself!:thumbsup:

Original Poster

joharni;5283850

empty ur inbox!:)

Will do!... almost there

Banned

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5283613

As far as i'm concerned once I handed it over the counter it ain't my … As far as i'm concerned once I handed it over the counter it ain't my property no more.When you bought something online or in a shop,you don't get a refund until you take the item back.

Thats a bit different to this though. Unless you are saying if it doesn't arrive then you are happy not to get a refund as you obviously can't take it back!

Just send rm a page from an argos catalogue or similar with the value on, that usually does for them.

loobie;5283720

I made a claim for a lost parcel from a sale on here and gave all the … I made a claim for a lost parcel from a sale on here and gave all the relevant info. Didnt hear back for ages then got a letter today with a measly book of stamps as compensation! They said as no proof of value they wont be giving me anything but the stamps to cover postage. Not a happy chappy so ive emailed them and will await a reply!!Maybe they are really clamping down on compensation claims, hope you get sorted soon xxx

ditto, i sent a wii game and 2 pc games together and they never arrived.I made a claim with R/M and it took them AGES to reply , when they did finally reply i got a pack of 6 1st class stamps.Sorry... this that and the other.... if you do not agree with this please reply stating ref: so i emailed them and i'm still waiting for a reply..... have been waiting AGES..... what a joke.... the total was only £9 too.... what a joke!!!! Royal mail are!

Original Poster

colinsunderland;5284117

Thats a bit different to this though. Unless you are saying if it doesn't … Thats a bit different to this though. Unless you are saying if it doesn't arrive then you are happy not to get a refund as you obviously can't take it back!Just send rm a page from an argos catalogue or similar with the value on, that usually does for them.

Well I will do if that's what needed,but surely they can look themselves online,they accept emails by customer services so they must have some kind of net access,

Original Poster

Royal Mail eventually paid up a cheque and I've now refunded the buyer. Too much hassle for sake of a few quid to be made,will only be doing cash on collection from now on here.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31138
    2. What do these 2 men have in common1013
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764211
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846169

See more discussions