Expired

Buying Plastic Garden Shed!! Any tips?

Found 18th Apr 2014
Hi, I understand plastic garden shed are easy to maintain, move and have lesser condensation. I am looking at buying a Keter 8 by 6 feet - argos.co.uk/sta…htm

Anyone would like to share any tips, it these sheds are any good? Any other brand / model any good?

Also I am thinking to go to with Topcashback as they seem to be doing 8.4% on 'Garden and Home'.
Community Updates
AskGardenShed
13 Comments
my tip is dont buy a plastic shed. Keter quality isn't like it used to be either.

get a wooden one. cheaper, look much better and far easier to add shelves, hooks and brackets etc to.

the one you linked to just has two shelves each side. Hardly practical for storing all your shed stuff (e.g spades, hoes, brooms, etc etc)

a coat of shed treatment every 3-4 years only takes an hour or so

Edited by: "chocci" 18th Apr 2014
ceres

They don't have lesser condensation. if you want stuff to stay dry … They don't have lesser condensation. if you want stuff to stay dry inside, forget plastic / metal and get a wooden one.

Do all metal sheds suffer condensation/dampness?
The shed is going to be about 1 meter away from back of the house, so wanted to get something fire-resistant. Plastic looked so easy to deal with and pack up when moving house. I understand those with opennings / vents are easy on condensation, but I have noted your point 'Ceres'.

I understand metal ones are difficult to align and moment water laden moisture rises up and hits ceiling, its turns into drops!

I am also considering.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duramax-Premier-Storage-Overlapped-Foundation/dp/B00H4WOIC8/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1397775228&sr=1-2&keywords=Duramax

Unfortunately it doesn't have reviews, so is bit of a blind / gamble!
shed will add value to house and then buy another for new house as space might be different at new property anyway..
@justanothercid -> unfortunately we are stuck with rented property, so have no choice but to carry the shed with us! (can't begin to think of hassle of moving (_;) )

Metal and plastic look like lego - easy to assemble or pack, bit as I have no experience with wooden, can't say if its also easy to pack.

Also no experience with judging the quality of wooden ones!
Get one, zero maintenance easy as lego to put together fit and forget.
Had our keter shed 4 years still the same as when we bought it.
Edited by: "SilverBlack" 18th Apr 2014
SilverBlack

Get one, zero maintenance easy as lego to put together fit and forget. … Get one, zero maintenance easy as lego to put together fit and forget. Had our keter shed 4 years still the same as when we bought it.

so how do you add extra shelving, hooks etc etc to the keter ones?
chocci

Thanks Silverback / Chocci for adding to the discussion.

I understand the Duramax (as link above from Amazon) has metal frame, which is designed to hold shelving units etc, so it can get you best of both the worlds may be!

Keter also has metal frame?? So it might also hold some shelves / hooks etc?
I; for one; would echo chocci's recommendation. A lot of truth in what they (and others) say about plastic sheds. Yes, they are low maintenance but that's about it. As for security, forget it. Easy as pie to get in to. If you do go ahead with your purchase, at least consider installing a ground anchor and chain anything down you don't want to lose!

A wooden shed is more 'adaptable' and very easy to repair if anything does happen to fail. Not so easy to 'repair' a plastic shed. However; taking into account your circustances regarding rented accomodation and portablility; I can understand your reasoning. Perhaps consider a slightly smaller wooden shed? Still sectional, so it can be taken apart and transported if required.

All the best, Phsy.
Phsycronix

I; for one; would echo chocci's recommendation. A lot of truth in what … I; for one; would echo chocci's recommendation. A lot of truth in what they (and others) say about plastic sheds. Yes, they are low maintenance but that's about it. As for security, forget it. Easy as pie to get in to. If you do go ahead with your purchase, at least consider installing a ground anchor and chain anything down you don't want to lose!A wooden shed is more 'adaptable' and very easy to repair if anything does happen to fail. Not so easy to 'repair' a plastic shed. However; taking into account your circustances regarding rented accomodation and portablility; I can understand your reasoning. Perhaps consider a slightly smaller wooden shed? Still sectional, so it can be taken apart and transported if required.All the best, Phsy.

exactly - a wooden shed has far less components than any keter shed. My recent keter storage box had 50+ components and took an age to put together. A wooden shed could be taken down very quickly if put together with screws
chocci

Bung a £20 plastic shelving unit in there and keter sheds come a bag of hooks that attach to the back of the doors.
Yes its easy to paint your wooden shed = but lots are binned each year cause they dont!

Get a plastic one & just chill! I've got one from b&q 2 year ago on sale for £100 and its the best! they are back up to £400 odds
Hi Philireland1, welcome to the discussion! this seems to be a divided house between wooden and plastic! Metal is dropped to number three.. out of sight

I've been to B&Q today and the wooden sheds they had were mostly low quality. Their own plastic range was also looking poorly made but still had higher price than Keter. I ended up buying a garden bench box that they had on sale for £79 - which on unpacking turned out to be a Keter product repackaged as B&Q's own!. Its very sturdy bench and reasonably comfy, assembly was easy too. Link for it from Argos is .. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7205729.htm

About the shed, I've decided to go for Keter 8x6 feet Apex for £449 from Argos (topcashback 8.4% might make it lesser). If the product felt really poorer, as Chocci pointed out, I suppose Argos should be ok with returns. Wooden shed will have to wait till we get out own property..

Thanks everyone for the contribution to discussion.

There is no best or right/wrong answer to this, just what suits best to each individual. But SlverBack's suggestions seems likely to work for me.
Edited by: "emmkay" 18th Apr 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants