Groups

buying rail tickets

can anyone answer this question for me. I bought a railcard online then purchased tickets right away for March after I bought the tickets I seen a bit in my email confirming my railcard order that I couldn't purchase tickets online until after I received the card as the tickets were quite expensive and non refundable I'm wondering if it'll be ok. I checked the faq regarding purchasing tickets online and the answer was no but it only says you need to carry rail card with you and by purchasing before receiving it you do at your own risk. I know it seems a stupid question but when I ordered it it says valid from 10th February will it be possible to for the guard on the train to know I bought tickets before the railcard was valid?

12 Comments

Rail tickets do have a date of issue on so in theory yes. Whether he will check is another thing

If the rail card is valid from the 10th Feb & DOT is march then it should be ok, my own experience with railcards is aslong as it's valid on the day of travel! Suppose it depends if the ticket inspector is in a good/bad mood that day?!

Won't be a problem at all. All they do is have a quick glance at it and your ticket. There's no way they'd look at the ticket in that much detail to check when it was purchased and then clock on that you bought it before railcard and even then I can't imagine they'd even be bothered

Original Poster

thank you everyone

Just do split ticketing. Your journeys will work out cheaper

itsdavidjones1984

Just do split ticketing. Your journeys will work out cheaper

How does that answer his question ?

Andi.Keane

How does that answer his question ?

​The question had already been answered in the comments. I'm offering an alternative. Don't be smart with me.

I did the same. Ordered railcard, then tickets (before railcard arrived). The ticked for travel weren't for a few weeks so allowed time for all to arrive, as you have too.

I think their logic in saying don't order tickets before your railcard arrives is just in case there is a problem or delay in the issuing of your railcard, which could then result in you having unusable travel tickets.

As long as you have your railcard in time for your travel date you'll be fine.

the risk they speak of is the card not arriving in time, not that you aren't allowed to purchase before it arrives - you just can't travel with the ticket if your railcard doesn't get to you before your journey

Agree with the above. Otherwise those people renewing rail tickets would be out of pocket

it's only because your card may go astray/ take a while to arrive. However IME they turn up within a week, shouldnt be an issue.

Original Poster

Maverick77

Agree with the above. Otherwise those people renewing rail tickets would … Agree with the above. Otherwise those people renewing rail tickets would be out of pocket

thanks again everyone that put my mind at rest
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheer me up please?1327
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767528
      3. Jaffa quake as McVitie's cuts pack sizes - BBC News79
      4. Amazon Fake Reviews1928

See more discussions