Buying Samsung S9 Plus from US Amazon - whats the catch?

Found 6th Mar
Looking to buy the new Samsung S9 Plus, its 869 here in the UK Sim free, whilst Amazon America is selling it for 756.54 including 3.99 shipping. What exactly is the catch - would there be taxes/VAT I would have to pay on arrival?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Community Updates
7 Comments
Be wary of the bands , not sure how it works but sometimes foreign bands don’t work well in UK
Check trading history if marketplace seller. Shipping will definitely cost more than £3.99 as Amazon will a charge import fees at time of purchase. Check device is suitable for UK cellular frequencies. Check if tech specs are same or acceptably different to UK models. Check how any warranty requirement will be serviced.
You should expect to pay 20% plus a handling fee of about £15. So £923 if you get hit with the tax. You might not but I wouldn’t risk it
Thanks, Amazon itself doesn't charge any fees for imports but I may be hit with VAT payable on delivery.
The US version will have Snapdragon 845 whereas European version will have the superior Exynos 9810. Don't think all of the frequency bands are there either. Also bear in mind there's no Samsung warranty (just Amazon and S75 if you pay by credit card). Import fees are definitely added by Amazon so factor that in!

Personally, I'd wait for a decent UK deal since shipping from US will take a bit of time, defeating the point of pre-ordering.
asimonsimon6th Mar

Thanks, Amazon itself doesn't charge any fees for imports but I may be hit …Thanks, Amazon itself doesn't charge any fees for imports but I may be hit with VAT payable on delivery.

Amazon US has always added import tax (i.e. VAT) to my UK deliveries at the point of sale, and occasionally refunded small amount after delivery if overcharged. Not sure why this (presumbaly) usual procedure would not be applied to your purchase.
If you open a credit account with Very you can get 10% off and 12 months to pay. Just another option
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants