Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Buying second hand car and getting it wrapped.

Posted 7th Jul 2020
I'm after my next car.

I called a main dealer garage asking for a specific model and trim.

They had 1 car matching what I was after except the colour.

The car salesman said they can wrap the car to the colour I want if I decided I want the car.

Is it worth doing?

Anyone else experienced this before?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
dbzitb07/07/2020 19:30

So I questioned the that.He said its not modification that the insurance …So I questioned the that.He said its not modification that the insurance needs to know as its not modifications to the performance of the car

You should check with the insurer not the guy selling you the car.

funny thing is there are thousands of cars on sale at the moment, dealers are desperate for the business, you should be able to find the colour you want.
Let's get a couple of things straight here, after reading these comments people seem to be a bit wrong
First off, you don't have to declare the colour on the v5/log book as it's not a permanent change, you will on the other hand have to notify the insurance company, as its class as a modification.
A wrap done properly with good quality wrap will not peel or look naff after a year! As long as you look after it, you'll be fine and of course get somebody who knows how to actually fit it properly. I've seen some right bodge jobs from people not tucking the corners in before then do the line cuts, THIS is how it peels... you need to heat the wrap, stretch it round the edges then heat it again so it shrinks and grabs a hold of the corner.
It won't pull your paint off after it's been on unless theres been body work and the paint hasn't had time to cured before the wrap was applied.
I've wrapped cars, mirrors and roofs... never had an issue!
I even dabbled in plastidip for a while... Did a load of cars with that. One of my old Audi s3 which my friend bought about 5 years ago, I plastdipped the grill and still to this day zero stone chips or issues with it.

Couple of photos below of my friends roof... he came round one day and said he was getting it wrapped for £120! I told him don't be bloody stupid, an hour or so later I'd wrapped his roof

41326960-QEhBF.jpg
41326960-PlKmF.jpg
41326960-Dey38.jpg
41326960-67Hzi.jpg
41326960-1ALg7.jpg
Edited by: "Toon_army" 8th Jul

So I questioned the that.He said its not modification that the insurance …So I questioned the that.He said its not modification that the insurance needs to know as its not modifications to the performance of the car

He doesn't know much does he, I would walk away.

"Why wrapping your car could invalidate your insurance. Your insurance could be void if your car has wrapped and you don't declare it. That's because, like any other change made to your car post-registration, a wrap is classed as a modification – and all modifications must be declared when taking out an insurance policy. "
Apart from notifying the insurance company its been modified, I think wrapped cars look after a few scratches & bumps & starts to peel.
20 Comments
Apart from notifying the insurance company its been modified, I think wrapped cars look after a few scratches & bumps & starts to peel.
I thought you meant you would want advice in actually wrapping a car as a gift and what would be the best. Never heard of it before.
richp07/07/2020 19:25

Apart from notifying the insurance company its been modified, I think …Apart from notifying the insurance company its been modified, I think wrapped cars look after a few scratches & bumps & starts to peel.

So I questioned the that.
He said its not modification that the insurance needs to know as its not modifications to the performance of the car
Edited by: "dbzitb" 7th Jul
Firebird_3707/07/2020 19:29

I thought you meant you would want advice in actually wrapping a car as a …I thought you meant you would want advice in actually wrapping a car as a gift and what would be the best. Never heard of it before.

Ive never heard of it either!
This is at Barnsley Fiat & Abarth.

You should check with the insurer not the guy selling you the car.

funny thing is there are thousands of cars on sale at the moment, dealers are desperate for the business, you should be able to find the colour you want.

He doesn't know much does he, I would walk away.

"Why wrapping your car could invalidate your insurance. Your insurance could be void if your car has wrapped and you don't declare it. That's because, like any other change made to your car post-registration, a wrap is classed as a modification – and all modifications must be declared when taking out an insurance policy. "
Thanks everyone

Errrrmmmmmm; A USED CAR SALESMAN? They utter their first lies before they draw their first breath and tell you what you want to hear. To start with, the V5 states the colour so you need a new V5. What else did the salesman tell you?

Motorpoint is the place for used car buying. Same salesmen but no/minimal haggling
Edited by: "ccnp" 7th Jul
It WILL affect the insurance - wrapping normally changes the colour, and if not the colour the finish (metallic, mirrored etc) this is a material change to an insurer - it could make it more or less of a risk to be stolen
It also flags at the DVSA as a Red vehicle is now actually metallic blue - stop and searches by police will increase dramatically!
Wrapping is a waste of money. May look great when you first do it but after a full year it will look naff. Any bird poo left to dry on it will damage it. It scratches remarkably easy. If you can keep it in a garage then you will get through winter. After a few years it can be very difficult to remove and even damage the paintwork underneath especially if kept in the sun. It’s just not worth the upkeep. People in the car scene change the wraps regularly because of all the issues with it and to keep it looking new. If you can afford to do that and want to then fair enough but it’s not a cheap process.
Edited by: "_Whatever_" 7th Jul
Walk away now.
Didn't realise you can "change" a car's colour after manufactured
madoka_ayukawa07/07/2020 21:24

Didn't realise you can "change" a car's colour after manufactured

Standard option and various companies offer this service.

Nothing to do with performance, a wrapped car will cost more to repair than a standard one.
Not only that, but a particular insurance company might have a higher value on claims for red cars for example and so charge a little more on red ones. Lastly, when looking at a claim for £1000s they'll be looking for ways not to pay and you don't want to be helping them with that, do you.
Let's get a couple of things straight here, after reading these comments people seem to be a bit wrong
First off, you don't have to declare the colour on the v5/log book as it's not a permanent change, you will on the other hand have to notify the insurance company, as its class as a modification.
A wrap done properly with good quality wrap will not peel or look naff after a year! As long as you look after it, you'll be fine and of course get somebody who knows how to actually fit it properly. I've seen some right bodge jobs from people not tucking the corners in before then do the line cuts, THIS is how it peels... you need to heat the wrap, stretch it round the edges then heat it again so it shrinks and grabs a hold of the corner.
It won't pull your paint off after it's been on unless theres been body work and the paint hasn't had time to cured before the wrap was applied.
I've wrapped cars, mirrors and roofs... never had an issue!
I even dabbled in plastidip for a while... Did a load of cars with that. One of my old Audi s3 which my friend bought about 5 years ago, I plastdipped the grill and still to this day zero stone chips or issues with it.

Couple of photos below of my friends roof... he came round one day and said he was getting it wrapped for £120! I told him don't be bloody stupid, an hour or so later I'd wrapped his roof

41326960-QEhBF.jpg
41326960-PlKmF.jpg
41326960-Dey38.jpg
41326960-67Hzi.jpg
41326960-1ALg7.jpg
Edited by: "Toon_army" 8th Jul

Every modification from standard spec is a modification and is considered as one by insurers. You definitely should inform insurer about wrapping. Also thing that not everyone knows - since 2018 you also must inform DVLA and have v5 reissued even though wrap is not a permanent colour change.
Edited by: "M015T" 8th Jul
M015T08/07/2020 11:36

Every modification from standard spec is a modification and is considered …Every modification from standard spec is a modification and is considered as one by insurers. You definitely should inform insurer about wrapping. Also thing that not everyone knows - since 2018 you also must inform DVLA and have v5 reissued even though wrap is not a permanent colour change.

I spoke to the DVLA last year as I was going to open a wrapping business they said no need to tell them, it would be pointless as you could remove the wrap anytime you wanted... if it was permanent that's a different story. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but them words were direct from the DVLA around 10 months ago
Toon_army08/07/2020 19:28

I spoke to the DVLA last year as I was going to open a wrapping business …I spoke to the DVLA last year as I was going to open a wrapping business they said no need to tell them, it would be pointless as you could remove the wrap anytime you wanted... if it was permanent that's a different story. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but them words were direct from the DVLA around 10 months ago

EDIT2: I've just found out that the post which quotes DVLA and basically say it's an offence to not inform them about the wrap has been posted in 2014. It's 5 years before they've told you that you DON'T need to inform them. This is exactly what people in the club were saying. Every time you call DVLA they're going to give you different info plus there will be something entirely else on their websites on top of that. Bunch of uncooked salmon steaks.

EDIT1: I've found a post on blog owned by wrap shop with quotes from DVLA and GOV and with links to spoken sites. The law has changed indeed and DVLA require people to inform them about temporary change of colour as well. Only partially wrapped vehicles and printed wraps are excluded.

Here's link to the blog EvolutionSigns.

We've had a really long discussion about it in the car club I'm member of. It really does look like there's a lot of different informations about it. There was a case where one of the members called DVLA twice asking about wrapping and got two totally different answers. In my opinion informing DVLA is pointless in case of wrapped vehicle because obviously you can remove the wrap anytime as you've said. DVLA website and GOV websites are not giving much in terms of the straight answer as well.

But I also think that unless something will be stated clearly in writing on DVLA/GOV website it is probably safer for wrapped car owner to inform them anyway even if they don't need that information.

Insurance on the other hand must be informed - some of them will rise the premium while others will treat it as decal without changing anything. Insurers are weird entities though.
Edited by: "M015T" 8th Jul
M015T08/07/2020 19:36

We've had a really long discussion about it in the car club I'm member of. …We've had a really long discussion about it in the car club I'm member of. It really does look like there's a lot of different informations about it. There was a case where one of the members called DVLA twice asking about wrapping and got two totally different answers. In my opinion informing DVLA is pointless in case of wrapped vehicle because obviously you can remove the wrap anytime as you've said. DVLA website and GOV websites are not giving much in terms of the straight answer as well. But I also think that unless something will be stated clearly in writing on DVLA/GOV website it is probably safer for wrapped car owner to inform them anyway even if they don't need that information. Insurance on the other hand must be informed - some of them will rise the premium while others will treat it as decal without changing anything. Insurers are weird entities though.

Sky Insurance who I've just left didn't want any extra when I said can you add wrap to my policy, the lad just said "You wrapping the full car" I told him yeah white at some point, but not 100% he said no problems I'll add it to the policy and if you do decide to or not you'll be covered.
That was my plan to wrap my Type R white but decided to just leave it. Next cars I'm going to do it Nardo Gray, but I'm not bothering with DVLA like you say they're a bunch of idiots
Toon_army08/07/2020 19:42

Sky Insurance who I've just left didn't want any extra when I said can you …Sky Insurance who I've just left didn't want any extra when I said can you add wrap to my policy, the lad just said "You wrapping the full car" I told him yeah white at some point, but not 100% he said no problems I'll add it to the policy and if you do decide to or not you'll be covered.That was my plan to wrap my Type R white but decided to just leave it. Next cars I'm going to do it Nardo Gray, but I'm not bothering with DVLA like you say they're a bunch of idiots

Insurance Companies and DVLA are just a bunch of people devouring shapeshifting reptilians mate.
Post a comment
@
    Text