Buying stuff from America - customs

7 replies
Found 8th Oct 2008
Hey guys!

Thought I'd as here as no doubt folk will be in the know

If I am buying clothing from America what is the maximum before I may have to pay customs tax? I bought from a site before and was hammered in customs tax...

thanks!
Louise

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
7 Comments

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question. If I buy a dvd of PlayUSA for £28.99 what is the likelihood of customs being added?

Read the ]HMRC guidelines

be very careful they also charge on the shipping charge i bought 2 jumpers a couple of month ago got the jumpers for $20 each had to pay $45 shipping got charged customs £16 worked out at nearly £60 wasnt worth it in the end.

Sloth/Mod

It's no more than £18.

If over you have to pay customs charges plus £9 to Royal Mail on top.

Original Poster

cheers. doubtful its gonna be worth it with cost of shippnig... thanks

Shipping is not included in HMRC calculations so you can buy something for around £18 before shipping and you should be OK not matter what the shipping cost is.

We've had loads of parcels from the USA via E Bay and depending on value if it's not a shop etc ask them to tick green custom tag as a gift for $10 and I've not had to pay as it's below there catch limit as I was told. Not had anything in last year so. It's a game of chance & risk lol.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247633
    2. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604811
    3. South Park: The Fractured Butt Hole Preorders - Ubisoft Store (Free Season …34
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769471

See more discussions