Buying things that you see on here just to ebay them.

Banned
Apparently this annoys some people.

Why?

31 Comments

You know full well why. But if I need to explain.............

It's because people feel it's greedy and can deprive someone on here, who really wanted said item for themselves, of getting a bargain at the expense of someone who buys just to try and make money out of it.

Yes, yes, we all know, first come first served etc etc but that's the reason.

I think its probably annoying when people dont offer the asking price and barter a lower price. I think many people try to help each other out almost like friends and agree a lower price. if that was then sold on it would be a bit annoying. It wouldnt feel comfortable to me to do it.
If you have given the asking price i dont see a problem though.

deek72;6844890

You know full well why. But if I need to explain.............It's because … You know full well why. But if I need to explain.............It's because people feel it's greedy and can deprive someone on here, who really wanted said item for themselves, of getting a bargain at the expense of someone who buys just to try and make money out of it.Yes, yes, we all know, first come first served etc etc but that's the reason.

Yes have to agree with that. Many people have helped me on the site over the last year or so and i would not like to try and make a fast buck. just doesnt feel right.

Goofeys Girl;6844899

I think its probably annoying when people dont offer the asking price and … I think its probably annoying when people dont offer the asking price and barter a lower price. I think many people try to help each other out almost like friends and agree a lower price. if that was then sold on it would be a bit annoying. It wouldnt feel comfortable to me to do it. If you have given the asking price i dont see a problem though.

I may be wrong but I think he is referring to people buying multiples of a hot deal to sell on and make a profit.

Banned

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, though in some respects, it says something about the individual.

But if you need the money F&F, go for it. I'll understand.

deek72;6844922

I may be wrong but I think he is referring to people buying multiples of … I may be wrong but I think he is referring to people buying multiples of a hot deal to sell on and make a profit.

Nah.... its just a good subject for a row.

It happens. Nothing members say or do can change that. They just have to accept it.

However if a member makes a post to brag about how many copies they got for re-sale on ebay, you could argue that is trolling and the post should be removed. If they are going to buy some for ebay they should have the commonsense and tact not to brag about it....especially when they know many members have missed out on the deal.

I think when someone puts a deal on here trying to help other members (as some people do unbelievably) and then people drive to their local store only to find that the last 20 went to some entrepreneur who only uses this site as a business tool, They may be slightly miffed,
In fact it would be interesting to know how many miles are driven each year by members trying to grab a bargain racing around all the stores before they all get snapped up by eabayers.
If it is every man for themselves why even have a HUKD site at all,

Original Poster Banned

guv;6844949

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, though in some respects, it says … Doesn't bother me in the slightest, though in some respects, it says something about the individual.But if you need the money F&F, go for it. I'll understand.

Say I make £100 on not a lot of hard work - I'm sure I could find a way of spending an extra £100.

'Needing it' doesn't come into it. I earn lots of money I don't necessarily 'need'. I could live on less, go out less etc. But it's nice to have the dilemma of deciding what to spend it on.

Carley;6844924

I don't think the OP means buying from the FS/FT forum, just deals from … I don't think the OP means buying from the FS/FT forum, just deals from websites... might be wrong though?If it is from the FS/FT then that would be morally wrong IMO.

why is it morally wrong?

if you find something in a car boot sale for £5, and you know that you can sell it on ebay for £500, would it still be morally wrong?

Original Poster Banned

tonyg1962;6844976

I think when someone puts a deal on here trying to help other members (as … I think when someone puts a deal on here trying to help other members (as some people do unbelievably) and then people drive to their local store only to find that the last 20 went to some entrepreneur who only uses this site as a business tool, They may be slightly miffed,In fact it would be interesting to know how many miles are driven each year by members trying to grab a bargain racing around all the stores before they all get snapped up by eabayers.If it is every man for themselves why even have a HUKD site at all,

HUKD is a business. They create a 'community' to post deals which in turn earns them revenue.

That is the very basis for it's inception, why on earth should people pretend it isn't.

(Sorry for shattering people's worlds).

tonyg1962;6844976

IIf it is every man for themselves why even have a HUKD site at all,

for the sex crazed housewives?

Original Poster Banned

hassony;6844984

why is it morally wrong?if you find something in a car boot sale for £5, … why is it morally wrong?if you find something in a car boot sale for £5, and you know that you can sell it on ebay for £500, would it still be morally wrong?

Only if you found out about the boot deal on here (I think, you'd have to ask the moral arbiter in this thread).

It annoys people because its against the principles behind this site - which is to help find and share deals so the community can benefit by getting things they want at a good price. The site isn't meant as a get-rich-quick tool for people, and its not surprising that boasting about buying deals to sell on for profit disappoints both those who put in the effort to find/submit the deal and those who may have potentially missed out on it due to anothers greed...

FilthAndFurry;6845003

That is the very basis for it's inception, why on earth should people … That is the very basis for it's inception, why on earth should people pretend it isn't

Not sure that is true - whether or not admin thought 5 years ago "this would be a good money maker" as opposed to "this would be a really useful website". Personally I think the business part probably came later...

Carley;6845024

because the seller of the original item wanted to help someone out by … because the seller of the original item wanted to help someone out by offering it cheaper than market value, they know they could get more for it elsewhere but want to help someone in this community. for the buyer to profiteer from someone else's good will is morally wrong.

I really don't think thats the case

I think a lot of people sell here rather than ebay to avoid the hassle and the ebay/ paypal fees

Original Poster Banned

jah128;6845022

Not sure that is true - whether or not admin thought 5 years ago "this … Not sure that is true - whether or not admin thought 5 years ago "this would be a good money maker" as opposed to "this would be a really useful website". Personally I think the business part probably came later...

Would it make you sad if they did set it up as a business? Does it really matter?

It's capitalism. I buy something cheap, I sell it, make a bit of money and then buy something else.

The person I buy from then uses their profit to buy something else, maybe pays some tax.

The NHS gets some tax money and buys a new incubator.

A baby is born prematurely and uses this new incubator.

Why do people hate me for saving babies?:x:x

This site seems to be full of whinging people nowadays.

Carley;6845080

for someone else to sell it on eBay and make a profit there would have to … for someone else to sell it on eBay and make a profit there would have to be heck of a margin?

thats why I doubt that it happen often, but If anyone did do it, I wouldn't say that it was morally wrong

FilthAndFurry;6845092

Would it make you sad if they did set it up as a business? Does it really … Would it make you sad if they did set it up as a business? Does it really matter?It's capitalism. I buy something cheap, I sell it, make a bit of money and then buy something else.The person I buy from then uses their profit to buy something else, maybe pays some tax.The NHS gets some tax money and buys a new incubator.A baby is born prematurely and uses this new incubator.Why do people hate me for saving babies?:x:x

because the baby you just saved happens to be the Antichrist

Original Poster Banned

hassony;6845136

because the baby you just saved happens to be the Antichrist

Oh...well that makes sense then.

Conversely, the people behind me to buy MW2 were all paedophiles who were going to go online and groom people in the game.

I've stopped paedophiles.

Oh the mess we get in when we start talking about morality.:roll:

FilthAndFurry;6845092

Would it make you sad if they did set it up as a business? Does it really … Would it make you sad if they did set it up as a business? Does it really matter?

No, of course not, and I don't think that the motives were purely altruistic, but I don't believe it was set up purely as a business. It just so happened that it was original, successful and a business model could be applied to the back of it - which is basically a win-win situation all round, good for the users, good for the owner and good for the employees.

FilthAndFurry;6845092

It's capitalism. I buy something cheap, I sell it, make a bit of money … It's capitalism. I buy something cheap, I sell it, make a bit of money and then buy something else.The person I buy from then uses their profit to buy something else, maybe pays some tax.The NHS gets some tax money and buys a new incubator.A baby is born prematurely and uses this new incubator.Why do people hate me for saving babies?:x:x

Buying deals in bulk for resale is ultimately detrimental to the site though, and boasting about doing so is both naive and unnecessary. The tax argument is to be honest fairly weak (as far more tax will be generated by several ordinary workers buying 1 item each, than 1 person who makes a crust by buying in bulk then selling on without declaring the income...).

Original Poster Banned

It's just the way of the world - like when staff snap up things before the public get a chance.

Hardly worth moaning about.

tonyg1962;6844976

I think when someone puts a deal on here trying to help other members (as … I think when someone puts a deal on here trying to help other members (as some people do unbelievably) and then people drive to their local store only to find that the last 20 went to some entrepreneur who only uses this site as a business tool, They may be slightly miffed,In fact it would be interesting to know how many miles are driven each year by members trying to grab a bargain racing around all the stores before they all get snapped up by eabayers.If it is every man for themselves why even have a HUKD site at all,

the only time i have driven anywhere for a deal from here was the boots sale and the sainsburys toy sale, boots sale got loads of good stuff sainburys i was a bit late:oops:

in answer to the OP
Dunno doesnt bother me you snooze you lose

if someone sees a way to make a quick few quid go for it

FilthAndFurry;6845264

It's just the way of the world - like when staff snap up things before … It's just the way of the world - like when staff snap up things before the public get a chance. Hardly worth moaning about.

perks of the job:-D

Banned

oh jeez, another baiting thread appears.........................

Banned

hassony;6845009

for the sex crazed housewives?

:giggle:

Banned

FilthAndFurry;6844980

Say I make £100 on not a lot of hard work - I'm sure I could find a way … Say I make £100 on not a lot of hard work - I'm sure I could find a way of spending an extra £100.'Needing it' doesn't come into it. I earn lots of money I don't necessarily 'need'. I could live on less, go out less etc. But it's nice to have the dilemma of deciding what to spend it on.

dunno how you seem to earn so much money through 'hard work'.

you seem to spend 90% of your life on here from what I've seen

csiman;6845711

dunno how you seem to earn so much money through 'hard work'.you seem to … dunno how you seem to earn so much money through 'hard work'.you seem to spend 90% of your life on here from what I've seen

I disagree

more like 95%

Carley;6844924

Buying a hot deal and selling on though, good luck i say, i know i've … Buying a hot deal and selling on though, good luck i say, i know i've done it in the past.

guv;6844949

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, though in some respects, it says … Doesn't bother me in the slightest, though in some respects, it says something about the individual.But if you need the money F&F, go for it. I'll understand.

gari189;6844956

It happens. Nothing members say or do can change that. They just have … It happens. Nothing members say or do can change that. They just have to accept it.

hassony;6844984

why is it morally wrong?if you find something in a car boot sale for £5, … why is it morally wrong?if you find something in a car boot sale for £5, and you know that you can sell it on ebay for £500, would it still be morally wrong?

well well well... :whistling:

Original Poster Banned

csiman;6845711

dunno how you seem to earn so much money through 'hard work'.you seem to … dunno how you seem to earn so much money through 'hard work'.you seem to spend 90% of your life on here from what I've seen

Time management:thumbsup:

Banned

boothy;6845718

I disagreemore like 95%

:giggle:

Original Poster Banned

WOW - COD:MW2 going for up to £40 on ebay.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What an absolute disgrace2146
    2. Cheapo tips for around the home. Aka "life hacks"1928
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17376131
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763876

See more discussions