Found 17th Dec 2014
When you know the person you're buying a gift for is fond of whisky, but you're not sure which whisky.

Here's a couple of reasonable choices at okayish prices.

These are the ones I usually hand out to friends and they do tend be rather pleased.
If anyone else has some good recommendations please feel free to share.

1. Misc
  2. Whisky
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Whisky
93 Comments

Original Poster

This is always number one choice.

It's a single malt, not too expensive and nobody - not even serious whisky drinkers - ever objected to it. It's fairly 'safe' to give as a pressie;
[img]images4.mysupermarket.co.uk/Pro…v=7?1418846311921%20=1418846311921[/img]

Cheapest I can find it at the moment is £25 Tesco - usually closer to £35 - so nice price too.

Original Poster

The Laphroaig quarter cask is an Islay Whisky - DON'T give this unless you know for sure the whisky-lover likes 'peaty' island whisky.

It's very nice, not quite a Bowmore 18, but then again not quite £70 either.

[img]images.mysupermarket.co.uk/Pro…jpg?v=7[/img]

Cheapest I can find it at the moment is £33 in Asda.
***# £25 Tesco #***

Edited by: "tryn2help" 18th Mar 2015

My brother drinks this and rates it.
[img]encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdea_zvklr71ZPv6s3jfSSm5UzcJfa-AxppE1AibsnxZNThoo5[/img]

Original Poster

For the less discerning, but nevertheless appreciative whisky drinker it's difficult to go wrong with what is probably the best blended on the market; Grants family reserve.

[img]images3.mysupermarket.co.uk/Pro…v=7?1418847047737%20=1418847047737[/img]

Bit of a steal at only £12 in Asda.

Original Poster

Well, that's my three fairly safe 'shouts' when buying whisky as a gift ( nice to see Donald's Monkey Shoulder in there too).

I'm no expert, and others may well have far better choices, but I'm fairly confident most peeps would appreciate any of those choices.

http://www.malts.com/var/plain_site/storage/images/our-whiskies/talisker/talisker-scotch-whisky-10-year-old/1574-21-eng-GB/Talisker-Scotch-Whisky-10-year-old.png

my favourite

I normally love Jamesons at Christmas, but was tempted today when I saw Bushmill Black Bush in a shop today, I may be tempted to treat myself with a bottle.

Great thread T2H. I wouldn't have a clue which whisky to buy as I don't drink it myself, so this is very helpful information

Original Poster

FTCom

I normally love Jamesons at Christmas, but was tempted today when I saw … I normally love Jamesons at Christmas, but was tempted today when I saw Bushmill Black Bush in a shop today, I may be tempted to treat myself with a bottle.

X) That's the trouble with most whisky lovers - they tend to buy gifts for themselves X)

My brother's been treating himself for years - say's nobody understands whisky like he does. (_;)

Unless you know what your subject likes to drink, it's very difficult to know what to buy.

If you've got a spare few quid and you fancy getting me a bottle, I'll have one of these please

[img]encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlNxXA66Jz2-xX2hIbyjhjtQ9YzaLSlzhsScbBuFuSnRzAqdaS[/img]

Original Poster

vics219

Great thread T2H. I wouldn't have a clue which whisky to buy as I don't … Great thread T2H. I wouldn't have a clue which whisky to buy as I don't drink it myself, so this is very helpful information

That's exactly why I made this thread, Vics - it's for peeps like yourself.
I remember how difficult it was trying to buy the right whisky - especially for some of my old Uncles (God rest their souls) - whisky was a serious business to them and they could be quite aggressive if I got it wrong - not quite 'throw the bottle to the floor aggressive' (they were never that offended) but 'throw me to the floor aggressive'. X)
Edited by: "tryn2help" 17th Dec 2014

Where's MaCallan and isle of jura. Ummmmmm

Which brand of cola do you guys use in these? (_;)

BlackJax

Where's MaCallan and isle of jura. Ummmmmm

MA Callan is oot at the Bingo and Jura is due west of Glasgow by aboot a hunner miles.

BlackJax

Soda Stream made up as a mix and fizzed with an empty Co2 bottle. the fizzy stuff ruins it for me.

BlackJax

http://replygif.net/i/796.gif

The biggest tip I have for buying Whiskey is avoid Peaty for someone's first tipple. You could put them off whisky for life.
Glenmorangie is a good safe bet.

Original Poster

BlackJax

Omg, my first troll!
Never knew the thread was going to be this popular - I'm not prepared - I haven't got any witty retorts, dash and blast, can you delete it and come back in about 10mins - promise I'll have something ready

Yum.

http://www.talkingretail.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2010/11/05/new-look-for-bushmills-irish-whiskey/bushmills.jpg

......waiting......

If anyone posts JD, I'm going to smash their face in X)

Monkeybumcheeks

Yum.

I'll bite. that's WhiskEy not Whisky
Edited by: "Oneday77" 17th Dec 2014

Oneday77

I'll bite. that's WhiskEy not Whisky

See post #20

Original Poster

Monkeybumcheeks

......waiting......

I visited Bushmills when I was over that way - can't remember the taste but it was a weird day of hexagonal rocks, rope bridges and leprechauns stealing golf balls.

Slightly off topic, but I've been getting into rum recently. Not the spiced stuff, but the nice stuff...

Anything made by El Dorado is very tasty.

powers whiskey.

tryn2help

Omg, my first troll! Never knew the thread was going to be this popular … Omg, my first troll! Never knew the thread was going to be this popular - I'm not prepared - I haven't got any witty retorts, dash and blast, can you delete it and come back in about 10mins - promise I'll have something ready <3

Troll oO you clearly don't know what a troll is. Think yourself lucky you don't trolls are nasty pieces of work that can ruin peoples lives.

A little remark is not trolling

BlackJax

Troll oO you clearly don't know what a troll is. Think yourself lucky you … Troll oO you clearly don't know what a troll is. Think yourself lucky you don't trolls are nasty pieces of work that can ruin peoples lives.A little remark is not trolling

I think it was a light hearted comment.

Calm down. (_;)

Really though it does make me laugh when people say you can't add a mixer to malt, if that's how you like it then that's fine.

Monkeybumcheeks

I think it was a light hearted comment.Calm down. (_;)

So was my reply I'm very calm

BlackJax

Really though it does make me laugh when people say you can't add a mixer … Really though it does make me laugh when people say you can't add a mixer to malt, if that's how you like it then that's fine.

Horses for courses.

If you're going to dilute it, you might as well use Teachers, Bells or Grouse.

Monkeybumcheeks

Horses for courses.If you're going to dilute it, you might as well use … Horses for courses.If you're going to dilute it, you might as well use Teachers, Bells or Grouse.

I agree, I like a little water in my malts

http://blogs.people.co.uk/take-it-easy/minimixset.jpg

BlackJax

I agree, I like a little water in my malts

Whenever I've gone around distilleries they always say to add 2-3 drops of water to help release the flavour... it seems to work, but is it a placebo, since all non-cask strength whisky is diluted with water prior to bottling?

fanpages

I still have a bottle of "Discovery edition" waiting in the wings.

Just to throw my own tuppence worth in, my favourite Scottish malt is Bunnahabhain, it's an islay one so quite complex and powerful, but also different to any other islay I've tried.

I do have a soft spot for Japanese whisky too, some of the Yamazakis are sublime, I recently got a bottle of Nikka from the Barrel in an Amazon lightning deal, it's a blend and it comes in 50cl bottles but it's out of this world

BlackJax

The best thing to put with a glass of whisky is another one.

http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads//2014/04/whisky.jpg

Original Poster

BlackJax

Troll oO you clearly don't know what a troll is. Think yourself lucky you … Troll oO you clearly don't know what a troll is. Think yourself lucky you don't trolls are nasty pieces of work that can ruin peoples lives.A little remark is not trolling

Lighten up BJ, was just joking with you
Edited by: "tryn2help" 17th Dec 2014

Original Poster

Monkeybumcheeks

Horses for courses.If you're going to dilute it, you might as well use … Horses for courses.If you're going to dilute it, you might as well use Teachers, Bells or Grouse.

Even when I was a drinker I couldn't stand these brews - not even in hot toddy's - they were just too rough.

IndianaBlues

Just to throw my own tuppence worth in, my favourite Scottish malt is … Just to throw my own tuppence worth in, my favourite Scottish malt is Bunnahabhain, it's an islay one so quite complex and powerful, but also different to any other islay I've tried. I do have a soft spot for Japanese whisky too, some of the Yamazakis are sublime, I recently got a bottle of Nikka from the Barrel in an Amazon lightning deal, it's a blend and it comes in 50cl bottles but it's out of this world

Japanese is the way forward apparently.

I must try some soon
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Charge Back From A Betting Account77
    2. How to remove bar at bottom of screen on ios 11.0.322
    3. MacBook88
    4. Printer help please.34

See more discussions